Marshall JVM410 Questions - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Marshall JVM410 Questions

Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of you could answer my questions concerning the Marshall JVM 410 Head.

I might buy this amp at the end of this month, and I have tested it out before, but I would like to know if there are any experienced folks on this forum concerning long-term usage, durability, etc. of this amp.

I've heard it may be a noisy amp in comparison to the JCM800 for example. Is this true?

My other question is, have any of you perhaps had any experience using the amp with the Boss GT-10 mfx? Do they work well together?
Is it possible to switch the channels on the amp via midi with the GT-10? Can I assign a specific channel/mode on the amp to a given patch on the mfx?

Lastly, I know this amp is very versatile, but I'd like to know if propper djent tone is possible with it? I'll be using the amp for pretty much anything I can think of, but most of all progressive metal, with that DT/Symphony X tone to it. Is that achievable?

Thanks a lot!
Benji.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 11:28 AM

Re: Marshall JVM410 Questions

I have a 410 combo. No issues that i know of. I did own a 205 previous to the 410. That amp need to have the Power Transformer repaired. If your buying used, leave it on for about 1/2 hour and make sure you do not hear a mechanical hum (not thru the speakers). The amp can be noisy if you crank up the gain. IMO there is more than enough gain available before you get to that point. It's never been a problem for me. The midi features are pretty good. I can not speak for the GT-1o but I do believe you can assign a midi controller to change channels per patch. I was using a Tech 21 midi moose to change channels.
This is on of the most versatile Marshall amps you can buy. 4 channels, 3 modes per chann. All channels are voiced different. The amp covers just about all classic Marshall sounds, clean and distorted.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 12:33 PM

The music store i worked at carried them and they sat forever. Had tubes go out in one 205 and one 410(had two 205 heads and two 410 heads). One reason they sat around was they don't compare to other amps that cost the same. Yeah it has 4 channels but it has cheap plastic push buttons/ knobs and obviously some issues if two amps ate tubes with very little play on them. I know the tubes and most components if not all are PC board mounted which means repair is more difficult if something does go wrong.

If you are getting a good price on one like 1200 or less then i would say yeah if that is what you dig go for it but if you are paying full map price or close to it i strongly suggest you consider alternatives. 2000 can buy a hell of an amp. More than likely one that will ultimately hold up better in both quality and resale.

I am not a marshall fan and am quite bias against them as i have seen people have a lot of problems with their amps. Here is probably a better idea of what the amp really is.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/products/35604

Last edited by j.arledge; 10-06-2011 at 12:39 PM.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 01:17 PM

I never had tube issues with either of my 205 or 410. Other than the power transformer (and I do blame Marshall's quality inspection for that) no problems to speak of. This is the 3rd Marshall amp I've owned. I've also had 3 Mesa's, all with their share of problems as well. The amp is pricey. If you can find used go for it but Do Not buy before you try.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 08:01 AM

durability issue : I can't say too much now, my JVM 401 is almost 2 years old with me now, but rarely played.. so ... can't really answer you on that.

mechanical ? no issue yet, please.... don't let it be.

Djent tone ? I've been using OD1 red channel forever for my signature power chords, palm mute galloping , and of course.. soloing.. and the gain I set is only at 12 o'clock ( half the full gain capability), and it pleased me so far.
So yes, you can count on it.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for your feedback guys.

j.arledge, what amp would you recommend in that price range that would do justice to the price tag?

I am buying new, and I would like to use this amp for the next 5+ years without major issues (tube replacements are a given).

The other amp I was looking at was the Mesa Boogie Mark V with 2x12 Rectifier cab. Which will cost me upwards of 26000 ZAR, that's about 3 260.27 U.S. dollars. Does that sound like a fair price? I don't think so, so what would you guys recommend based on my specs?

Also the JVM410 + 2x12 cab was a 14500 ZAR which is about 1818 USD.

Thanks!
Benji
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 08:01 AM

You say you're buying new?? $1818 USD doesn't sound right. The head alone new here in the USA cost around $2000+. If used then $1818 USD is an excellent price for the 410 and a 2 x 12 cab. In any case, Marshall and Mesa are two completely different sounding amps. You should play before you pay. I've owned both, Mesa Nomad, F-50, Mark IV and I now have a Marshal DSL50 and the 410C. I am much more happier with the Marshall's. But that's me, Marshall is more my type of sound. With the Mesa’s I spent months tweaking, the Marshall's sound good right out of the box. As far as reliability, both Marshall and Mesa have minor issues but no show stoppers. Both these companies produce professional quality products meant to be used on the stage/road (this is not bedroom stuff). Unless you get a "Lemmon", you should expect both companies to supply a quality product.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 08:07 AM

Reviews: 57

I tested out the JVM a few weeks ago when I was looking at a new heads. For me, it sounded pretty good with various tones. It was very versatile. My only gripe really is price (you pay a lot for that Marshall logo), and that while it did a lot of different tones, none of them were really great. All good, but nothing spectacular.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 08:28 AM

I have my JVM Head for 2 years now. No issues whatsoever, one of the best amps on the planet. I had a Mark V and sold it, Totally different tone, a lot harder to dial in. The JVM is plug and smile.

Marshall has a 5 year warranty so you are safe.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 09:52 AM

Reviews: 65

I always say: There is a reason when Pro's do something and while the JVM can produce some killer sounds, every pro has it modded to hell (like Satch) and a noise cancel/gate is a must have, as this thing is killer noisy unmodded. (Yes I talk from personal experience)
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
I always say: There is a reason when Pro's do something and while the JVM can produce some killer sounds, every pro has it modded to hell (like Satch) and a noise cancel/gate is a must have, as this thing is killer noisy unmodded. (Yes I talk from personal experience)
EVH modded the hell out of his JCM800. You'd be hard pressed to find any pro using any amp stock.
I've had 2 JVM's, I started with a 205C and then moved up to a 410C. I've been playing them for about a year now and have no complaints and more importantly no other desire to buy another amp. I also have a 50 watt DSL but since I've been using the JVM I haven't used it much, no reason too. Noise has never been and issue for me. I've never gone higher than 3 (on a 1 - 10) on the gain. The amp is just so versatile and offers so much yet is so simple to dial in.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:55 PM

Reviews: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXEL276 View Post
EVH modded the hell out of his JCM800. You'd be hard pressed to find any pro using any amp stock.
I've had 2 JVM's, I started with a 205C and then moved up to a 410C. I've been playing them for about a year now and have no complaints and more importantly no other desire to buy another amp. I also have a 50 watt DSL but since I've been using the JVM I haven't used it much, no reason too. Noise has never been and issue for me. I've never gone higher than 3 (on a 1 - 10) on the gain. The amp is just so versatile and offers so much yet is so simple to dial in.
Couldn't let that slide, sorry.

EVH is/was never known to use a JCM at all, other than the occasional backline appearances for backup purposes or what not. EVH used a, what has now been revealed to be stock, save but for a few replacement parts, Plexi and JTM's with a Variac to reduce the amp voltage. He used that amp, and the JTM's up until the late end of the 80's when he began using a Soldano SLO, later the 5150 amps. Almost all talk of his amp mods was nonsense. He was notorious for trying to misdirect people who were after his tone/techniques. Even people who have worked on his famous Plexi have admitted it was just a standard amp, nothing special other than the player.

I think you'd be surprised how many "Pro" players use stock, off the rack, equipment. Also keep in mind, in the room sound is often very different from a final recorded tone after studio processing, compression and multi tracking. Most amateur players today have far better equipment than what most classic "greats" ever had access to.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 07:25 AM

Reviews: 65

When Stach used the JSX, they were pretty much stock, apart from a few minor bling bling things. (At least that was what he said to use when we took a look on stage on the Satchafunkilus Tour)
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

All right!

I've put down a deposit on the JVM410 HCF model (Mustaine model was the only JVM they had in stock). I've got a price of R12000 (ZAR) which equates to $1480 roughly.

Now, what cab do you think would suit the head best? I played it through a 2x12 with V30s and that sounded spectacular. Thing is, they don't know when they'll have new stock of that model, and it's medium sized. I'm looking for the normal sized 2x12 cab.

Any thoughts?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 08:02 AM

order the cab you want.

ebay? avatar?

Tags
410 , boss , gt-10 , jvm , marshall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode