Marshall or Mesa? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 134 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Marshall or Mesa?

Hey, whats up?
Here is the deal, i have the chance to take a single rectifier head for 1000E(about 1200$),or a tsl 100 half stack (1960 lead cabin 4x12 included) for 1500E(1750-1800$),all used, i wanna shred sound, what is the best for me? HELP me plz... The rectifier is too cheap and in very good cont, here in Greece single rec costs about 2200E (2600+$)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 134 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 03:56 AM

Re: Marshall or Mesa?

Buy the Single Rectifier. You'll never regret not going the Marshall route...

..... and you'll sound better too .......
post #3 of 134 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 04:50 AM

Rectifier, for sure. That Marshall is an absolute rip off.
post #4 of 134 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 06:01 AM

Go the MESA way

I bought a DC5 about 7 years ago and won't sell it......

Quality costs cash...... Those who slag Mesa...... can't afford them!

Max
post #5 of 134 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 07:48 AM

Rectifier for sure - that's a great price for Europe, and the TSL is way overpriced, you could buy a new TSL head and 4x12 for cheaper.

BUT... the two don't sound ANYTHING alike, so the honest answer is to buy whichever you prefer the sound of.
post #6 of 134 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 08:16 AM
Contributor

Reviews: 1

I much prefer Marshalls over Mesa products. Marshalls don't sound like a beehive.
post #7 of 134 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 08:36 AM

BUY THE MESA, it's a no-brainer. I played my triple rectifier beside a guy that had a TSL and the whole time he was wondering why my guitar sounded so good compared to his.
post #8 of 134 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 08:41 AM

Im with Jemaholic on this one.
post #9 of 134 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 08:52 AM

I can't comment on the pricing in Greece, but I would have the Marshall over the Mesa hands down.
post #10 of 134 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 08:53 AM

I second that Cid. I would never knock anything anybody likes because we are all different but I I love to hear Marshalls when they are showing their fangs.
post #11 of 134 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 10:11 AM

Mesa, Marshall's simply riding off of it's name right now. The Mesa will give you louder, clearer tones distorted, while the Marshall will give you that '60's vintage British vibe.
post #12 of 134 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymills View Post
Rectifier, for sure. That Marshall is an absolute rip off.
Well said, I couldn't agree more.
post #13 of 134 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 12:16 PM

Smile Re: Marshall or Mesa?

The Mesa is a better amp than the not so reliable TSL

and the price for the TSL is crazy!

I've done a gig thro the new Marsh JVm - which was pretty cool
but i still prefer to BOOGIE!!
post #14 of 134 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 12:19 PM

Mesa, hands down. You can go from an insane, grinding, screaming sound, to a buttery smooth overdrive with almost no effort.

And they sound great at low volumes too!
post #15 of 134 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 01:05 PM

It's mostly what sound you're after. A Rectifier won't sound like a Marshall no matter what you do to it. Just like the Marshall won't sound like a Mesa. If you like the Marshall sound I'd go for a Marshall. If you dig the whole contemporary metal sound as in a PRS plugged into a Dual or Triple rec then get the Mesa.

The Mesa's are much better built amps, but the 2 channel Dual Rec I had was ridiculously loud before I got to the point that I was getting a nice smooth crunch sound. I guess that it comes down to what you want to do. If you want something that will dominate the mix in a loud band then it's tough to go wrong with any Mesa. If you want something for ****ing in your apartment neither amp is ideal, and if you need a variety of sounds at your disposal a Single rec isn't ideal.

I've owned a couple of Marshall's, a Mesa Dual Rec, various rack stuff, and I now play a Peavey JSX pretty much exclusively. It just sounds great in a band mix. It's reliable, and cost less new than most Mesa's do used.

Tags
alder strat , blue voodoo , chuck schuldiner , clean tone , custom shop , doug aldrich , dual rectifier , emg active , fender custom shop , fender super reverb , genz benz , high gain tones , maple neck , mark iic , marshall avt , marshall jvm , marshall tsl , marshall valvestate , mesa amps , mesa boogie , mesa dual , mesa dual rectifier , mesa mark , mesa mark iii , mesa recto , mesa triaxis , music store , neck pickup , peavey jsx , power amp , practice amp , steve vai , suhr standard , thrash metal , triple rectifier , tube amp , tube amps , tube head , vinnie moore , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode