Marshall Super Lead sound w/o crazy mods or insane volume? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Marshall Super Lead sound w/o crazy mods or insane volume?

I've read repeatedly that many of the guitar sounds that I love come out of a Marshall Super Lead Plexi. George Lynch, Warren DiMartini, Dann Huff from Giant. That sound that I can only describe as "searing", with incredible sustain.

The obvious answer would be "just go get yourself one of those amps". But the answer doesn't seem to be that simple. The first problem seems to be that none of what I'm hearing comes from a stock amp. These are all hot rodded to hell by some of the best names in the business. I'm just some random guy, I don't have access to this.

The next problem is even if I assumed that I got one of these people to hot rod my amp (or figured out a way to do it myself), it seems that this amp only produces those tones at extreme volumes because this amp only has a single volume control. That just doesn't fly.

So my question is what is the answer to getting this sound? I know that Lynch and DiMartini eventually went to Soldano amps, but I can't say that I really am aware of any material recorded with that setup. Also, does that solve the volume issue? The one recorded Soldano sound that I know I love is Chris De Garmo on Queensryche's Empire album. The solo in "Della Brown" is one of my favorites. But he was using a Soldano X99 preamp into some sort of Carvin amp and Bradshaw rack. Again, nothing I could personally duplicate.

So any advice is welcome. Could an average joe modify one of the Super Lead reissue heads? Is Soldano the way to go? If so which of their amps considering I want the sound without concert volume?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 12:53 AM

Re: Marshall Super Lead sound w/o crazy mods or insane volume?

well a 5150/6505 is based off of a soldano SLO . they aren't one in the same but they are close enough to give you a tone i think you would like. the new 6534 has el34 tubes which give it a little more of a crunch in the mids.

lynch was actually designing a signature amp with peavey and the deal fell through. The amp still came out as the xxx which is now the 3120.

There are a lot of mods out there , just search the web . FJA is a great company.

you could also check out jet city amps which are designed by mike soldano but built overseas.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 02:59 PM

Talking Re: Marshall Super Lead sound w/o crazy mods or insane volume?

Yeah, I was going to say the Triple XXX, which is now the 3120 (used by Rusty Cooley). I like the hotrodding done by Voodoo.com myself. I am sending both my Marshall 9001 3-ch all-tube preamp and my Mesa Trem-O-Verb combo to them to mod. I personally wouldn't mod a Plexi. I would keep it as stock as possible and use a pedal or Preamp in front of it. Which is how I run my 9001 and my 75 Marshall MkII 100 Watt Super Lead. Incredible 80's sounds, 90's sounds any sounds it makes are phenomenal. It is incredible sounding by itself. I guess I have a rare awesome one. I can't get a bad sound out of it if I tried. I just keep good tubes and a bi-annual check up. Simple maintainence and it lasts forever. Just my thoughts.

BTW it is INCREDIBLY LOUD!!!!!!!! Kills my Mesa (Marshall hooked to a 4x12 only) when hooked up to a 4x12 and running 6 spkrs, I have never ran it past 2 when using the preamp and 2.5-3 just it by itself. No master, just pure power. Loudest amp I have ever played through, louder than any peavey, carvin, mesa, fender, crate, krank, etc.. It slays all and sounds Fantastic doing it.

Last edited by musicman_72751; 10-04-2010 at 10:45 AM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the Peaveys.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 11:24 AM

Ride just remember tube amps have a "sweet spot". It is where they sound best, ie., most musical sounding combonation of vol, distortion, right sound etc. Most vintage Marshall are renowned for the "Dimed" setup, everything at 10. Most modern amps won't replicate that. Some do however. I don't know if that is the case of the Peavey 3120. I think it is more versitale and sounds great lower vol and higher vol. To be honest my Marshall hardly ever gets played because of the volume issue. I never run it without the preamp controlling the signal going into it. Example: as I stated about not running it more that 2.5-3 on vol, it doesn't get metal distortion at that vol. More of an mild break up with 18-volt EMGs pushing it into mild break up. But you will find there will be a spot that the amp responds best and sounds best. voila Sweet spot.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 12:35 AM

Any Marshall non-master volume head (50 or 100-watt) WILL nail that sound, but every knob has to be on 10!!! If you've ever experienced that in real life, it's so loud that....well, too loud for almost any gig I'll ever do, haha!!! Sounds amazing though. To nail that sound perfectly within reason, the smaller Marshall 2061X hand-wired heads work great, and aren't the same volume as a jet engine!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 08:15 AM

Reviews: 6

Another option is to get a power attenuator like a THD Hot Plate. These take some of the power between the head and the speaker and "burn it off", allowing you to get the dimed tone at much lower volumes.

As for another couple of points, that Dimartini tone is coming from a non-modded amp, from what I have read -- he just got a good one. Apparently George Lynch has been jokingly trying to steal it for years.

And I thought that the Lynch amp design was the Brahma, which became the Penta.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 12:20 PM

Jet engine!! LOL!! I like that 2203 Thrash. You nailed it on the head. I have read several articles about Warrens' amp and Georges' lust for it. He also lusted after a head modded by Tim Caswell. Google Tim Caswell for his site. He still mods amps with the mod he used on the amp that George tried to keep. It was in an interview, I forget which mag, that George was asked about a signature amp and he stated that he was working with Peavey on one. Well, obviously it didn't happen and that amp came out as the XXX amp, which is now updated and rereleased as the 3120. The Randall Lynch Box has a module called the Brahma, I don't remember about the Penta though. I would like to have a Lynch Box myself, and a 3120, and a ENGL Powerball II or SE, or an Elmwood Modena 90, etc.,etc.,etc. just because I have GAS. LOL

Last edited by musicman_72751; 10-06-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: adding to text
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I've read repeatedly that many of the guitar sounds that I love come out of a Marshall Super Lead Plexi. George Lynch, Warren DiMartini, Dann Huff from Giant. That sound that I can only describe as "searing", with incredible sustain.
Buy the oldest superlead you can afford, and then send it to Dave Friedman for his "Kitchen Sink" mod.

For less than $2k you will have all the amp you could want.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode