marshall tsl100 and 1960tv opinions? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

marshall tsl100 and 1960tv opinions?

im gonna get one of these babys during the week along with an 1960tv
anybody ever try out this amp? and cabinet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 12:09 PM

The cab is the best of the modern marshall cabs. Stay away from the 1960a/b's. IMHO anyway.

The head is a decent head. Im not a fan of it, too "rumbly compressed modern preamp tube distortion." When I say that Im thinking mostly the rock rhythm sound. It has a very liquidy sound when soloing. The other guitar player in my band plays one and I dig his sound. Mostly becouse he's a great player. Apples and Oranges.

I would always suggest you play the amp before you buy it. Or at least set up a trial period with the music store or make sure theres a decent return policy.

The only performance issue Ive seen with it is the delay when switching channels which is minor.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 01:39 PM

Amen, on the "play it first" tip.

I've got one... the channel fade-in pisses me off, but unless you're doing, say, Nirvana covers where you need the sharp on/off dynamics, then it's not a big issue.

Best thing I can tell you to do is swap out the tubes. I got mine with a set of JJ's in the preamp and Groove Tubes in the power amp, and it's an entirely different beast- much smoother, thicker, and richer, without any of that papery edge you get with the stock tubes. I'm fighting the udge to make bad milkshake jokes.

I'm using it with a Mesa 2x12 cab, and loving the sound- you might want to check those out, as I hear the Vintage 30's agree quite nicely with this amp- mine do, anyway.

-Drew
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 01:40 PM

Oh, and NEVER PUT A DRINK ON TOP OF IT.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

At one of the last gigs i played i had a glass of water on a friends cab, and when i turned around again, there was no glass and a wet cab so i`ve already been warned
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 05:12 PM

It's a good amp...I love having three channels to toy with. My biggest beef is the volume on the clean side is far less than what's available on the crunch and lead channels, but mine has been modded a little so that may have a play there.

Drew's right on the tubes....but at a minimum have it rebiased, factory biasing tends to run on the cold side and these heads seem to be pretty sensitive to tube selection and bias settings (at least mine is).

It is an amp that has to be played loud to be really appreciated for what it is. This is not a bedroom machine by any definition. In stock form they tend to be a little buzzy sounding until you really get the power tubes into play so using the VPR function or an attenuator will help.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 12:58 PM

The TSL100 is great at any volume IMO. I most often use it at bedroom volume. You can do a lot with it. I would go with a cab with a bit more handling power. The 1960TV handles 100w total (4xCelestion Greenbacks at 25W ea). You want to have some room for peaking. My personal recommendation would be to not go less than 2X the output rating with most tube amps. I think the regular JCM1960A or B cabs are just fine.

Mike 777 Haug
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 04:27 PM

TSL100...

Hi!

TSL100 is a great sounding and versatile head imo...

I'll maybe put a clip of me playing For the Love of God with my TSL100 so that you can hear how does it sound (approximately)...
Best possible way is to go to a shop and play it loud
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 05:08 PM
RGN

The biggest problem is the footswitch which fails often. The footswitch is responsible for most of the issues with the amp. I think my guitar tech has 6 or 7 of the footswitches in his shop right now. Overall, I think the DSL50 is the best deal. It uses the more reliable Drake transformers and sounds very good. Both amps have nice clean channels.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 06:40 PM

I agree. Im not a huge fan of modern marshall amps at all but between the TSL and DSL the DSL seems like its got a much more complex sound. The lows are more focused and less rumbly.

And the DSL doesnt have the delay when switching. I never do the "Nirvana" sound were its full on clean then instantly distortion hits you in the face. But I still wouldnt wanna worry about that.

Does a crunch channel mean that much? Get a great lead sound a run off a little of your volume knob. I set my lead channel to a little crunch and use a TS-9 to push it to high gain.

Try them out. If I were you Id track down any old JCM800. If you want channels and FX loops then look at the later 800's.

Tags
groove tubes , guitar tech , marshall amp , marshall cabs , music store , power amp , preamp tube , tube amp , tube amps , tube distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode