Marshall Valvestate - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Marshall Valvestate

My local pawnshop has a Marshall Valvestate VS232 for sale at a good price but i am unsure about the one tube in the preamp and how it will sound. Does anybody like or own these amps? Thanks in advance.

I've been looking for an amp to store at my buds for jamming, will this compare to my mesa recitfier as far as gain goes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 04:39 PM

Re: Marshall Valvestate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontalonis
My local pawnshop has a Marshall Valvestate VS232 for sale at a good price but i am unsure about the one tube in the preamp and how it will sound. Does anybody like or own these amps? Thanks in advance.

I've been looking for an amp to store at my buds for jamming, will this compare to my mesa recitfier as far as gain goes?
I have, but no longer use, a Marshall VS265R. The cleans are great, and it sounds good at bedroom levels. At "gigging" volume it blows. I also struggled to get a decent, blues-type gain tone.

I feel confident in saying that compared to your Recto, you won't like it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Yeah i kinda figured that one tube ain't gonna stand up to all those in my mesa. Thanks for the insight though. Much appreciated.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 05:43 PM

I agree with you, is certainly can get the Volume, But it sounds like Marshall forgot that when people gig they have volume up loud, and when they play loud, they don't like crackly distorted tone's in Clean.

I personally think that the Legacy Gives the Recto a run for its money, They are both VERY good amps otherwise.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 04:11 PM

Certainlythe Valvestate will be perfect for (small) home use, but actually don't like the sound they give.... a cheap amp will give a cheap sound; remember the Carvin Legacy plays in other league.... so it doesn't qualify for cheap category, I have a valvestate that in few words I'll describe, I hate it!!! the amplifying circuit blew and had to replace it with an equivalent that left it sounding in overdrive as a 2nd clean channel... no official replacements here in my city... I've never enjoyed that amp, the sound never was good..... so, go for a Mesa, a real tubes Marshall, a Legacy, VHT.... no Valvestates pleez!!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 04:49 PM

All marshall non tube amps suck dick, and the valvestate falls into that catagory... it wont compare to your mesa at all.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 05:01 PM

Depends what you mean by good price.

As a practice amp, or for round your mate's house, for the right price it could be a great choice. Why risk lugging your mesa about for a low key jam?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 10:59 PM

As an owner of a marhsall MG30DFX I have to whole heatily agree that all solid state marshall amps suck dick. It sound like somebody cut the balls off my tone whenever I turn it past 3 and the clean channel goes dirty past 5. Terrible, terrible amps. I've vowed to never buy another amp until I can afford a JCM800 2210 with a matching 1960 cab.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 11:15 PM

i played an 800 and it sucked. It was cool for vintage tone but other than that i didn't see what the big deal is with the 800. I personally think marshall as a whole is pretty overrated and way overpriced.

i have yet to find a marshall that i really liked.

Tags
distorted tone , marshall amp , marshall valvestate , practice amp , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode