Marshalls suck with gain! - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 01:15 AM

Marshalls suck with gain!

WTF??? Marshall suck? no way... if you want those ultra tight definition sounds or mega distortion, go buy a mesa, but donīt try to get a NICE SWEET WARM tone (a la Satriani) with those amps... you canīt, the POD canīt get it either. If you donīt like itīs distortion, okay... but donīt talk BS about a nice amp. I have a JCM2000 DSL 100w btw, and I think Mesaīs are OK but theyīre not for me, period. I think theyīre to dry sounding... donīt have that nice sustain and distortion for solos. Btw, I like Satrianiīs and Vaiīs tone a lot more than Petrucciīs in solos. For Rhythms, Petrucci is heavier (besides de 7th string), but I donīt like his lead tone. Too "machine" for me.
Bottom Line: Donīt open your mouth and talk BS only if you donīt like an amp. Itīs always the best amp for someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 01:18 AM

I'm happy with my dual rectum fryer :biggrin:
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 01:50 AM

You definately have to crank a Marshall to get that sweet tone, period.
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 02:56 AM

Or use it through a Mesa/Boogie power stage!
I HATED my JMP-1 the first few weeks that I used it, until in a foul mood I turned my 50/50 to "high power", turned the pre-amp volume down to just barely in the good zone, and cranked the power amp up to 8.

ROOOAAAAAAAAAR!!

Whoa man, that does make a difference. *Marshall Pre-amps are NOT designed to go into a clean powerstage AT ALL, but they drive those powertubes incredibly well.

Now, I will never be separated from my JMP-1! *(Well, except maybe for a triaxis if ever I can afford one).
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Quote: from Skaught on 2:50 am on June 20, 2001
You definately have to crank a Marshall to get that sweet tone, period.
I agree on this. *That's why I use 50 Watt Marshall heads and low wattage speakers. *I love to CRANK IT and get that tone! *Now if only my amp would go to 11...

Gabe
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 08:13 AM

I've never really liked marshalls because whenever I used them,they sounded harsh to me.

The tones I like are fluid,warm tones like Malmsteens,allan holdsworths,Greg Howes(not exactly warm)..you get the picture.This is mainly for my rock lead tone.I also love SRV's tone.

Anyway,Malmsteen uses Marshalls and gets a fantastic singing tone.But he uses JTM45s with no preamps and I think they are the only Marshalls really worth getting.
Greg Howe uses a modified fender amp and thats another tone that I really like.

However I think the key to get a good tone from a Marshall is to go all out full volume like a few others have mentioned.I've never been able to try that till know so I don't know what a cranked marshall can sound like.
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 07:47 PM

I'm sorry, but Marshalls do not suck. If you were practicing in your bedroom with the gain on full and the master volume on 1 then it will sound rather crap, really.

But, as you guys have said so well, turn the preamp down to about half way (I use a DSL401) or a bit past it (1 o'clock) and crank the volume and:

Quote:
ROOOAAAAAAAAAR!!
As MadKeith put it SOOOOO nicely, it makes a BIG difference. I was tanking around with a TSL102 the other day and all those extra buttons make nice differences which I'm missing out on with my DSL401. The preamp 'trick' works a treat on that amp - *lurvely.
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 06:27 PM

If you think Marshalls "suck" at lower volumes (and let's face it, 100w is too loud for most non-stadium applications), then my friends, you all need to get (drumroll...)

a 1987 Marshall 50w Silver Jubilee!!

Seriously, switch it down to half-power mode, run a 2x12 instead of a 4x12, and crank that SOB - the neighbours will never know, unless it's 3am.
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 06:50 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

i agree. the Jubilee has tone to die for. Among the best tone i've ever heardor played thru. I sold mine (foolishly) cause it just was essentially a one channel amp (two channels w/ shared gain & EQ). But that one sound is amazing... glen
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

I really like that idea of crankin the power amp and then turnin the preamp down or whatever MadKiethV said......not a bad idea....and what's a 1987 Silver Jubilee? (I'm 16 give me a break....I'm a gear head but I don't know EVERYTHING!)
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Quote: from mrthingyX on 7:47 pm on June 21, 2001
I'm sorry, but Marshalls do not suck. If you were practicing in your bedroom with the gain on full and the master volume on 1 then it will sound rather crap, really.

But, as you guys have said so well, turn the preamp down to about half way (I use a DSL401) or a bit past it (1 o'clock) and crank the volume and:

Quote:
ROOOAAAAAAAAAR!!
As MadKeith put it SOOOOO nicely, it makes a BIG difference. I was tanking around with a TSL102 the other day and all those extra buttons make nice differences which I'm missing out on with my DSL401. The preamp 'trick' works a treat on that amp - *lurvely.

I still think that marshall amps SUCK

And yes i do know that a tube amp hase to have a high volume setting to sound cool

The main reason for my dislike of marshall amp is that they are break down so often
This is not only with one amp but several friends of me also have the same problems with those crapy marshalls

kind regards,

Side Slide

And i have no problems with Huges & Kettnet
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 06:08 AM

Quote:
And yes i do know that a tube amp hase to have a high volume setting to sound cool

The main reason for my dislike of marshall amp is that they are break down so often
This is not only with one amp but several friends of me also have the same problems with those crapy marshalls
I didn't say high volume, I still play at bedroom levels. *I just make sure that my preamp's volume is LOW and my power amp (tube power amp) is turned up high. *The marshall preamp is meant to feed a tube poweramp on the brink of distortion. *Unfortunately, Marshall themselves seem to have missed this point a bit (Valvestate, AVT anyone?).
As far as reliability goes: *I've played two marshalls: a Valvestate 8080 (my first ever amp), and now a JMP-1. I've never had a breakdown. *However, I've heard a LOT of bad things about the reliability of the head/cab versions of Marshall's amps. *As far as I know, those problems are due to component shortages, and now they have been solved.
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 08:25 AM

I play through a Valvestate 265R, having previously owned a tranny Laney, which was ok as a practice amp, and a big Marshall 50 watt thing which was just too loud-I could never crank the thing cause it would kill *you with the volume. The valvestate gives me 3 channels with pretty good tone at usable volumes from my front room, to moderate sized gigs *(up to 150-200 people). It hasn't broken down yet.
Maybe it's the law of diminuishing returns, but I think I would have to spend a lot more than Ģ500 to get a significantly better sound, in a convenient 2x12" combo.

That said, I am open minded , and it wont be long before I do look for another amp (G.A.S.!)
The Pod/power amp/cab route may be the one I take, but I am not wholly convinced by my Pod yet.

Guy
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 05:59 PM

I have a Valvestate VS100R, and it's absolutely useless with master volume above 4. The 6100 however.... I don't even have to tell you Marshall fans
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Quote: from rsvampire on 6:27 am on June 23, 2001
What's a 1987 Silver Jubilee? (I'm 16 give me a break....I'm a gear head but I don't know EVERYTHING!)
The Silver Jubilee amp was issued in 1987 to mark the 25th anniversary of Marshall amps. As Glen said, it's a one-channel valve amp with a footswitchable gain boost. Famous users include John Frusciante and Slash, whose JCM-Slash signature amp was a reissue of the Jubilee 100w head with snakeskin-finish instead of silver Tolex.

It won't do the same sounds as a 5150 or a Triple Rectifier, but I use a Marshall JH-1 distortion pedal for the heaviest sounds anyway. What the Jube does very well indeed is that AC/DC to ZZ Top sound: crisp, chunky rhythm sound that everybody seems to call "crunch" these days.

I wouldn't recommend it for shredders or thrash metallers: for anyone who needs classic rock sounds, look no further.

Tags
allan holdsworth , amp distortion , distortion pedal , fender bassman , marshall amp , mesa rectifier , power amp , power tube saturation , practice amp , thd hotplate , thrash metal , triple rectifier , tube amp , tube power amp , tube saturation , tube tone , versatile amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode