Marshalls suck with gain! - Page 3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 11:09 PM

Marshalls suck with gain!

99% of the best guitar player in the rock history used marshalls.
there must be something about them, donīt you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:52 AM

Marshalls suck with gain!

My marshall head has served me well ever since I bought it second hand. It's a 100w super lead head, and it just sounds way too cool cranked up! I keep the preamp so it doesn't distort and use it for pure power, and damn does it sound good! Not the cleanest tightest amp in the world, but I love it, that dirty sound rules! But yeah, I do find that using seperate distortion helps. I use a triaxis through an effects loop I had buit in, and it sounds cool! Unfortunately your ears do tend to bleed, but we all make sacrifices in some way!
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Banned

Thumbs down Re: Marshalls suck with gain!

The only people that say things like "Marshall suck with gain!" are guys that have a Rectifier or 5150II and prefer gain over tone. You may find that as you become older and less of an ignorant child, that you begin to develop a sense of tone which you don't have now. At that point you will get an old Marshall and only then will you realise what an imbecile you are now. You may as well be saying Corvette's suck for busses!
post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 12:01 AM

Re: Marshalls suck with gain!

post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 05:58 AM

7,5 year leap in posting.

Congrats!
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 07:25 AM

I can't believe I had my Marshall in 2000. Time flies.
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 08:04 AM

Reviews: 1

I've been playing through Marshall tube amps for more than 32 years.
In that time I've also owned and played Fenders, Vox, Hi-Watt, Boogies, Budda's, Dr.Z's, Carrs, H&K's and Sovteks and used them all on gigs. I just sold my Two-Rock head and went back to my Marshall DSL100.

NO amp will give you everything you're looking for.

On the other hand, Marshalls have been THE MOST widely copied gain tones ever made- by just about all manufacturers. No other amp has been used by more professional players for overdriven tones. Even Steve Vai used Marshalls for P&W.

I realize the new metal tones require more gain and that there are amps designed for that specific type of music, but overall the Marshall tone is the hands-down pre-eminent Rock sound of all time.

Thank God (or Jim) for Marshall amps.
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 09:39 AM

I've played through both Marshall solid state and tube amps and I always encountered this tin like resonance that went with it. Hard to describe but it just had a certain sound to it that I never liked. I played through a 5150 and 6505 and I love the amounts of gain but they do seem kinda like one sound amps. Best I've heard so far is a Diezel Herbert. One expensive amp but daaaaamn what a sound.
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 09:48 AM

The one amp I have had and wish I had again was a Marshall 30watt tube hybrid. Tube preamp with solid state power amp. The gain was so clear you could sing with it but when you hit a power cord it crunched.
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 11:04 AM

Wow, dinosaurs were walking when this thread was alive!
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 11:32 AM

and I thought these were all noobs when I did not recognize the names and I thought how weird is it that glen find the time to comment on a noobs thread.
post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 02:38 PM

Having used the Marshall sims on programs like Guitar Rig and Amplitube I was shocked by how little distortion one can get out of them without additional effects. Nice for some classic rock crunch though.
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 04:04 PM

As most guitarists get older and are better players, they realize that they don't NEED so much gain. Alot of players max out gain to compensate for their ****ty playing.
post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerx2k View Post
As most guitarists get older and are better players, they realize that they don't NEED so much gain. Alot of players max out gain to compensate for their ****ty playing.
Unless you play black or death metal.
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 06:41 PM

I will stick with my Marshalls, thank you...

Tags
allan holdsworth , amp distortion , distortion pedal , fender bassman , marshall amp , mesa rectifier , power amp , power tube saturation , practice amp , thd hotplate , thrash metal , triple rectifier , tube amp , tube power amp , tube saturation , tube tone , versatile amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode