Marshalls suck with gain! - Page 4 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 06:50 PM

Re: Marshalls suck with gain!

I always though ****ty playing through high gain sounds even worse then without it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 04:25 AM

In the past I've looked elsewhere - anything but Marshall. Also I thought that they suck with gain and didn't understand it properly why you need additional booster or some sort of modification to get into the high gain territory.
But then I've realized that I've always liked that Marshally tone and also almost all my guitar idols were using them.
So I got myself a Marshall 6100 30th Anniversary.
And that amp has lots of gain, good crunch sound and beautiful clean. It's so versatile.
And the best of it all it sounds so amazing when you using it live. Not many amps cut trough the mix like Marshals and that is the fact!
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 10:21 AM

IDK guys. I recently bought a used TSL60. My main amp before was my LANEY VC50 which is a fantastic amp!
Anyway, when I first played through the Marshall I absolutely hated it. The fact of the matter is that my ears were used to the Laney and my ears weren't processing the Marshall sound.
I decided not to give up on the Marshall however and after some eq tweaking and a little time playing through it I have grown to like it somewhat. Sure the louder you crank it the better it sounds, but even at bedroom volumes it doesn't sound bad.
Now is it the the high gain beast that my Laney is? No way. But it does have some very usable sounds even into the high gain / metal territory.

One problem that you guys may be experiencing is that you're buying 100 watt amps and can't ever push the thing hard enough to get to get saturation. Most tube amps have plenty of volume at 50-60 watts unless you're playing large open air venues.

Anyway, that's just my opinion and of course as always, tone is very subjective.
post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 03:45 PM

Absolutely. tube amps such as these need to be pushed to sound good. I thought I might be making a mistake the day I bought my Laney AOR. It just didn't sound as good as I recall my OLD one, sounding. then, I started tweaking, and running it, louder, and there it was, the sound I remembered and missed. Power tube drive is where it's at!
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

well I love mesas !

musicianszoo.com - place to friends talk about music,instruments and......anything !
post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 06:09 PM

Yea, Mesa makes a killer amp as well!
post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe2grind1970 View Post
One problem that you guys may be experiencing is that you're buying 100 watt amps and can't ever push the thing hard enough to get to get saturation. Most tube amps have plenty of volume at 50-60 watts unless you're playing large open air venues.

Anyway, that's just my opinion and of course as always, tone is very subjective.
That's true to an extent, but it's not all about volume. 100w amps have a different feel than 50w amps (ie - 100w amps have a tighter, more focused low end, etc...)
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
That's true to an extent, but it's not all about volume. 100w amps have a different feel than 50w amps (ie - 100w amps have a tighter, more focused low end, etc...)

That's a very good point!!

Tags
allan holdsworth , amp distortion , distortion pedal , fender bassman , marshall amp , mesa rectifier , power amp , power tube saturation , practice amp , thd hotplate , thrash metal , triple rectifier , tube amp , tube power amp , tube saturation , tube tone , versatile amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode