Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier.......... - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 07:51 PM

Re: Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier..........

I'll second the recomendation for the VOX amps. My son has one and that is a sweet amp for lower volume level playing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 05:31 AM
NNS

???

A Flextone III is a modelling amp and mine shakes the room on level four on the master, and goes above 100 dB. They have powerful SS poweramps and are 75 watts and according to Line6, will reach very loud volumes, and as I said, the room shakes above 3.5, so is there really a big difference?

You do get a strong tone at low volumes with a Flextone, but even so I find the higher you crank it, the tone gets stronger, though thats partly because you can hear it better...
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

^Flextones and Line6 stuff..............................

I hate that type of amps....bahhh

That's not for me....But I have to admit that they are better than my Ibanez practicer amp lol

BLAKK:JAKK
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 07:23 AM

Well then blacky jacky, get the V2 if you want loads of power that doesn't have to be turned up all the way for loads of tone.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Banned

I've got an ENGL Screamer 50, mainly for room and a few gigs with more in mind, and it's just perfect. I preferred it waaaay over the Mesa Boogies I tried, namely the F30 and F50. You'll love it.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 03:38 PM

I used to have a JCM900+4x12 as a bedroom amp...
It's just a wrong idea mate, trust me.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 06:04 PM

Hi there. I own a dual rec and yes it is a little much in it's default form for bedroom only playing. However, there are some work arounds.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewforum.php?f=4

You can read the mesa boogie forums and research using a THD hotplate with your amp. That way the hotplate soaks the volume yet you get the benefit (tonewise)of the amp sounding as if it was louder then it actually is. Also you can remove 1/2 the power tubes to drop the amp's wattage in half. This is explained in detail in the manual.

Mesa boogie tone is so very sweet, it is worth it to use these workarounds instead of just going with another amp.

Good luck.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 02:02 PM

For what it's worth, my experience has been Rectos are the least volume-forgiving of the entire Mesa line. They don't really come into their own until they begin moving some air.

Just about everything else Mesa sells, however - F-series, DC-series, the Nomads, the Lone Stars, even the Marks - actually sound quite lush and full at bedroom levels. Sure, they get better as they go up, but I do most of my recording on my Nomad at pretty low levels and I still get great results.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 04:59 AM

I don't think that the Retrifier got enough "middel-sound" in solos... I prefer the Engl, or even a Rivera Knucklehead-TRE... That's NICE
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

I think that Mick Thompson uses or used those Rivera...

post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKK:JAKK
I think that Mick Thompson uses or used those Rivera...

I also used to love the Retrifer (I'm a huge Mesa-fan), but now I can't stop visiting my guitarshop and play the Rivera all day xD

Tags
bedroom amp , dual recto , engl screamer , flextone iii , mesa boogie , mesa boogie dual , mick thompson , pod pro , power amp , practice amp , solid state power amp , steve vai , thd hotplate , tube amp , tube amps , tube combo , tube combos , tube preamp , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode