Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier.......... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier..........

Hey guys...

I need your help.
I'm a metal player. I play Pantera, Metallica, Zakk Wylde stuff, Anthrax and stuff by Guns N' Roses and Steve Vai, Satch etc...

I need lots of distortion, and I know that the Mesa Boogie Dual Recto is the perfect choice for me. Or an ENGL, but I prefer the Mesa.

I have an Ibanez.

The only problem is that i'm a bedroom player. I don't play to loud. Is the Mesa to much for me? I know that tube amps need to be cranked to give us all that distortion and sustain, and I can't play very loud.

Is it worth it? Spending all that money to buy an amp like that when I know that I won't take advantage of it 100%? It could be an investiment to the future...But I don't know...What do you guys think?

BLAKK:JAKK

(maybe I'll just keep my sh.ity Ibanez practice amp...or I'll buy a Peavey XXX lol)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 12:35 PM

Re: Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier..........

Well a amp is very important for your tone, and most of the Dual Recto are A/B power, 100watt to 50watt; even still you get the real gain and bite, you will have to crank it up above 3, which 3 is loud for a bed room.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 02:36 PM
rgr

A Recto is not a bedroom amp. If you only play in your bedroom, you should really shop around for a small modelling amp (I can't believe I just said that) or something. You can't get huge cranked tube amp sound at bedroom levels, this is where a modeller can come in handy.

Even if you play out with a big amp, I would still recommend a small practice amp for bedroom practice. Saves wear on those expensive tubes and your big amp can live at your practice room (if the situation allows).
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

^a small modelling amp.....that's so exciting lol...I'm so glad to hear that...lol....I already knew it..but I'll buy a peavey xxx

thanks guys
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 03:18 PM

Ew god. Dont. The XXX is as far away as you can get from the nice chunk of a Dual Recto. Try Randall. Its damn good for that stuff.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKK:JAKK
Hey guys...

I need your help.
I'm a metal player. I play Pantera, Metallica, Zakk Wylde stuff, Anthrax and stuff by Guns N' Roses and Steve Vai, Satch etc...

I need lots of distortion, and I know that the Mesa Boogie Dual Recto is the perfect choice for me. Or an ENGL, but I prefer the Mesa.

I have an Ibanez.

The only problem is that i'm a bedroom player. I don't play to loud. Is the Mesa to much for me? I know that tube amps need to be cranked to give us all that distortion and sustain, and I can't play very loud.

Is it worth it? Spending all that money to buy an amp like that when I know that I won't take advantage of it 100%? It could be an investiment to the future...But I don't know...What do you guys think?

(maybe I'll just keep my sh.ity Ibanez practice amp...or I'll buy a Peavey XXX lol)

I thought you said on JP forums you had a Triaxis?!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

??? jp foruns? I'm not registered on that forum...that must be another guy
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKK:JAKK
??? jp foruns? I'm not registered on that forum...that must be another guy
Ah yeah i think i got you mixed up
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

^yeah, probably
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 05:26 AM

100w tube amp for the BEDROOM? You're insane.
You don't even need 30w for the bedroom. Vox AC(xx)VT series is what you'd need. Replace the xx with 15, 30, or 50 for wattage. http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/va...15vtad30vt.htm

Seriously. Hook up to a 100w tube amp and try to get a decent sound out of it with a volume level lower than 1. A Peavey 6505+ (120w) is too loud at 1.5, and that's not going to give you a decent sound. Choose your amp wisely. Buy a 50-100w tube amp LATER, when you get yourself a full band going. You'll be complaining about your tone being flat and unresponsive if you go all out now.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

^i'm saying that its an investiment for the future....i'm not saying that I will play it only in my bedroom.

I've seen lots of people that play dual rectos in their room, and are very happy with them

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 07:25 AM

Maybe with a 50w setting, a 2x12 and a hotplate you could swing it, but it would still be loud as ****.

Why would you go with an XXX though? It's a 120 watt tube amp, louder than the Recto most likely...

Maybe create a rack rig of sorts, with, say, a POD Pro and a Mesa 2:20, or a solid state power amp of sorts. It would still cut well live, and could be brought down to manageable bedroom levels.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 12:56 PM

Seriously, check out Randall's higher end solid state tube combos. Not only do they have tube preamps in them, they also have a tube power circut that will respond to the volume being turned up. Its really neat and the sound is nice and chunky.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys...I'll take a look at those

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 05:23 PM

Hooray! Dont use the RG series though. Check the V2 because from what I've heard, the T2 is kinda weak in the distortion department.

Tags
bedroom amp , dual recto , engl screamer , flextone iii , mesa boogie , mesa boogie dual , mick thompson , pod pro , power amp , practice amp , solid state power amp , steve vai , thd hotplate , tube amp , tube amps , tube combo , tube combos , tube preamp , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in