Mesa/Boogie Mark IV vs. Dual Rectifier. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Mesa/Boogie Mark IV vs. Dual Rectifier.

Hi,

I am interested in both of these amps. And i know they both sound great but i want to know the differences and similarities about them. I am very interested in the Mark IV. My moms friend has a 1x12 combo and i might be able to get him to sell it to me. Are there distortion channels similar. Are there cleans similar?

thanks alot,

nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 11:54 AM

Reviews: 12
Re: Mesa/Boogie Mark IV vs. Dual Rectifier.

to the nitty gritty... the Mark's Simul-class feature is what makes the amp "louder" than its stated rating. I can't speak on behalf of the Mark users but I can vouch for the 2:90's as this power amp does not have to be cranked past 12'o clock to make the amp "sound" loud... plus you can cut down the power by running the Mark's in Class A (half-drive). The Rectifiers as you know have the large rectifier tubes; I've had a Dual at one point but I didn't like the tone I was getting... the cleans are not all that compared to the ones in a Mark. However, a Mark can get really heavy when you tune it right, but it will never come close to that "Rectifier hi-gain" Dual Recs are known for.
The Mark's are as versatile as it gets... ya have the combos, heads, and when you decide to go rack, you can always pull out the head from its original chassis then install it on a rackmount kit. The rectifiers... not so... you have loud, louder, and loudest in a head format... rackmount dual rectifiers are said to be better than the heads but hard to come across (especially one for a decent price)...
either way, that Mark IV should be a good deal if you're getting it from someone ya already know

Reg
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

alright and i havent ever played a rectifier, i have played the mark IV. well thanks alot.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 12:55 PM

Reviews: 7

Mark IV hand's down, especially if you can possibly get it used from a friend and local. All big +'s, I'd say try your hardest to get that guy to sell his Mark IV.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 01:06 PM

Depends on what you are looking for, but I would definitely get the mark iv. I just couldn't dig the recto voicing, and it sounded and felt very mushy compared to the focus and clarity of the mark iv
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

the kind of music i mostly play has the distortion tone of Alice in Chains and the Jerry Cantrell stuff. I know jerry used dual recs. but he also used bogners too.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 04:19 PM

Any looseness\flabbiness of the Rectifiers can be tightened up with new tubes. I went to Eurotubes and put their version of EL34's for power tubes and GZ34's for rectifier tubes into my 3 channel triple rectifier (supposedly the worst sounding rectifier), and that amp ROARS and is tight without being too stiff. Just right.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightofthelivingshred View Post
Any looseness\flabbiness of the Rectifiers can be tightened up with new tubes. I went to Eurotubes and put their version of EL34's for power tubes and GZ34's for rectifier tubes into my 3 channel triple rectifier (supposedly the worst sounding rectifier), and that amp ROARS and is tight without being too stiff. Just right.
I would also suggest going with a Vader cab instead of Mesa cab, and switching to the solid state rectifier.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 05:05 PM

Mark IV hands down. Rectifiers are not the way to go.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBDbadreligion View Post
the kind of music i mostly play has the distortion tone of Alice in Chains and the Jerry Cantrell stuff. I know jerry used dual recs. but he also used bogners too.
In that case I think a rectifier might be a better choice
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBDbadreligion View Post
NICE!

Anyways, the only time Jerry ever used his prototype Dual Rectifier is when Dirt was recorded, the rest of the time he's been using Shiva's, Ecstasy's, and 5150's.

On top of that, his Fish contributes a lot to his tone as well, but good luck finding one of those babies.

I'd try to get my hands on a Bogner if I was you. I'd take a Bogner any day of the week.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 03:25 PM

since we're on Cantrell... I found this in one of my magazines circa 94... I don't see any rectifiers but 2 Bogners

Reg

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 06:02 PM

You can't really go wrong with either IMO. However, the better Rectifier is the older 2 channel black one:

I tend to prefer the Mark IV, but they both have their purposes. I still like my Mark III better than both of them.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 07:33 PM

I don't think you can beat a recto for that full on metal chug. The lead sounds are a little more boxy and spongy than the very liquidy Mark IV though.

You can get great rhythm tones from the Mark IV too, very tight and clear. The only problem comes in getting as a good lead and rhythm tone at the same time (as they both tend to come from the Lead channel). One way is to set up a shared EQ on the lead channel, and use the amp EQ for the rhythm tone, and an external EQ for the lead tone.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 08:21 PM

Andy: Two 2:90's?! wow... that must be one loud rig... are ya using the Recto's slave into the 2:90?

Reg

Tags
amp tone , dual rectifier , dual rectifiers , jerry cantrell , john petrucci , mark iic , mesa cab , power amp , space rack , triple rectifier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode