Mesa/Boogie Nomad 45 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Mesa/Boogie Nomad 45

Anyone have a mesa nomad 45? Mine is the 1x12 model. I really like it a lot and I was wondering if any of you had a nomad and what settings you use with it. Mine isn't where I am posting from so I will put mine up later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 03:38 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 45

Yes, I have this amp and wondered how I did without it for all these years :biggrin: *I'll post some settings after the *holidays. Enjoy... glen
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 12:20 PM

Mesa/Boogie Nomad 45

Well, the most important setting I can think of is the "insane" switch on the back. Keep this on at all times! O.K., maybe not at ALL times, but it really seems to make my Nomad jump. As with other Mesa amps, it is best to keep the bass at less than about 1 o'clock to avoid tubby tone and to be mellow with the mid knob as well. Can anyone here figure out channel 3? Settings will of course depend on the sound you are after, so maybe post some desired tone-types and I'll see if I can be of assistance. BTW, do any other Nomad owners find the reverb to be non-existent when using the gain channels? Nice rig, I hope it lasts. *Z

Oh, I'm using the 4x10 model with the Jensens, it weighs a ton but has tone to match.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Mesa/Boogie Nomad 45

For channel 3 I want a very heavy thick sound, but I want it to be tight also. I think I have the wrong pickup because the tone zone is very bassy & midrangy with seemingly litle cut. How does an evolution sound for getting my desired sound with the nomad? It sounds good now, but not quite what i want. I use my strat on the clean channel with mids low, high about half, and bass a little more than half. It sounds really good. For channel 2 I keep all eq at about 6, presence high, and gain at just under halfway.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Mesa/Boogie Nomad 45

I solved the last problem. An eq in the effects loop works very well. *So, anyone have any settings?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Banned

Re: Mesa/Boogie Nomad 45

I played a Nomad with EQ. Was one of the best soundind amp I ever played, gain wise. Very 80's Mesa sounding. Not like the newer nu-metal not for soloing mesa's
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:11 AM

the recto series are definitely teh suck for lead. i was devastated the first time i played one in a store and realize how overrated they were.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:32 AM

I tried a Mark IV yesterday. Excellent amp. Great lead channel as well as a great clean channel.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Banned

yep, the M4, M3, Nomad etc were from the day when amp had to have a lead channel
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 12:14 PM

Eh, a properly dialed in Rectifier may surprise you guys... I've been a Nomad user for years, but I grabbed a Rectoverb several months back, and am thinking of selling my Nomad.

Either way, the Nomad is one of the most underrated Mesas I've ever had the good fortune to play. It's one of the few amps in their stable that can convincingly nail the more aggressive "rectifiier" style Mesa sound, while also nailing the smooth saturated Mark-style tones they're known for.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 01:04 PM

i have always been dissapointed with stock mesa amps...ive heard some moded, but surely not anything impressive

and i dont think any mesa is "under-rated"

in fact they are way over rated
my 2 cents
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
and i dont think any mesa is "under-rated"
in fact they are way over rated
my 2 cents
Well, my two cents are that you're wrong, but still I'll grant you that right.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 03:28 PM

Darin, WTH is it with you and resurecting 7 and 8 year old threads lately?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 05:26 PM

Tbh, I'm yet to be convinced that the Nomad is a good amp, I have a Nomad 55 combo. But it's probably me not being able to dial in a good sound!
I used it once for band practice and I could hardly hear wtf I was playing no matter how loud I had it and all I and the rest of the band could hear was a ****ty bassy sound! IMO not a patch on my JSX.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 05:48 PM

Bass-heavy? If anything the 55 is supposed to be the brightest of the Nomads...

FWIW, my typical lead and rhythm sounds were (and obviously you can't use these at the same time, lol)

Lead:
Channel 3 Vintage
Gain 5-6
presence 2-3
channel volume - max
treble - 4
mid - 6
bass - 3
Master to taste

Rhythm:
Channel 3 modern
gain - 5
presence - 6-ish
channel volume - 5
treble 5-6
mid - 5-6
bass - 4-5
master to taste.

Really, the secret is where you put the channel volume - it adds a bit of extra saturation and smooths out the sound a lot. On Vintage, that translates into syrupy liquid sustain; on Modern, that translates into mud and flub. On the 45, anyhow.

Tags
mesa amps , mesa nomad , suhr standard , tone zone , versatile amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode