Mesa/Boogie Quad preamp owners--opinions? settings? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Mesa/Boogie Quad preamp owners--opinions? settings?

I've been offered a Mesa Quad preamp in trade for some of the gear I've got for sale, and I'm pretty tempted by it--part of me misses my ol' rack rig from a couple years ago. Although I'm not clear exactly what the rig would be, it'd likely be this: Quad preamp-->G-Major-->Mesa 50/50 power amp-->some stereo 2x12 cabinet (I used to have a Johnson 212 cab I really liked, but I've heard some good stuff about the Genz Benz G. Lynch 212 so I'll probably check that out, too). I'll probably switch channels on the Quad using my Rolls RP93 patchwork.

Anyway, I know a couple people on the forum use the Quad preamps, but I have yet to see anything that looks like a real review of the tone, flexibility, reliability, etc. Basically, I just want to know a little more about what it sounds like. Is it remotely like the Mark II and Mark III's that it's supposed to emulate? Is the "hidden feature" that allows you to combine tones from the 2 sides of the amp useful or just a novelty?

Also, if I get the opportunity to test drive the preamp, does anybody have any settings they'd like to share?

Thanks as always!
--Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 12:43 AM

Reviews: 12
I don't have a Quad Preamp but I can answer your first question as I have a Mesa catalog from 1984 that describes the Quad...

"The [new] Quad Preamp is based on an expanded version of the Mark III Circuitry without the restrictions of panel size or number of controls.... Like the regular Mark III, Rhythm 1 is voiced for clarity and brightness - it's the highly dynamic, super clean channel. Rhythm 2, even though it will play clean at low setting, has much more gain than Rhythm 1 and is eq'd for darkness and power. This is the boosted 'crunch rhythm' channel... Then there are two seperate Lead Modes - each of which kicks-in extra booster tubes which you can pre-set for gain, warmth, brightness and sting. Set Lead 1 for smooth sustain, Lead 2 for searing leads..."

Hope this helps...

Reg
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

That's helpful! Thanks!!

I've also been poking around some of the HC reviews... seems like a lot of people use the 4 channels as follows: clean, blues, crunch, lead. I'd probably set mine up with clean, crunch, more crunch, and lead, if I could get all the knobs in the right positions (always harder than it looks with Mesa amps!).

--B
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:21 PM

Re: Mesa/Boogie Quad preamp owners--opinions? settings?

Hi there. My name's Roger and I too live in Cincinnati. I have quite a few amps but just recently pulled out my Boogie Quad Preamp/Boogie 50/50 Power amp/Marshall Cab and hooked it all back up. Wow! Forgot how awesome it sounds! Just wondering if you ever made the trade you had posted about in '03. Also have an old VHT Pitbull 45 112 Combo, a Budda Superdrive 30 212 combo, Dr. Z Galaxie 210 combo, and some smaller amps too.

Hope you're doing well!

Roger
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:47 PM

Reviews: 39

Try these settings, you can use it for ultra shred/heavy and use the volume knob on the guitar to dial in perfect crunch (use the GEQ in the traditional "V" pattern"):

Volume: 8 (Bright, pulled)
Treble: 7 (Shift, pulled)
Bass: 2 (Shift, pulled)
Middle: 6
Master: 2 (Deep pulled)
Lead Drive: 8-10 (your taste)
Lead Master : 2 (Bright, pulled)
Presence: 6-7 (your taste)

These are my live and studio settings on my Mark III, and sound insanely similar to Lamb of God/ John Petrucci. Took me weeks to dial it in, so i'll save you the trouble. It's amazing....you'll never wanna put your Boogie down.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 08:42 AM

Reviews: 1

I have to say, I love this thing but it takes some time to find your lovely tone. It is really tight until you do the trick with the FU-2 that turns 2 channels on at the same time. Then it makes a killer lead tone whether you use the rhythm or lead channels. I just got the Eleven Rack Expansion pack and the speaker breakup really makes it sound nice as do a lot of the new effects. The Eleven Rack is turning out to be a great amp sim/effects unit for me. I just sold two other preamps because now I can get some nice clean sounds, twangy blues, and metal (with the Quad as the amp and keeping the other effects and stuff in the presets/bumping up the speaker breakup).

My second of three "this is the sound I want" sessions, I dialed everything down so I could switch seemlessly without grabbing knobs but right now the best thing I have found is to dial up your dirty sound THEN use the first volume knob on the left to turn down for the rhythm/cleans.

CH1: 4p(vol) (up for dirty)/10p(treb)/5(bass)/10(mid)/6(master vol)/10(lead drive)/10p(lead mast)

CH2: 10p/2.5/0p/10(mastvol)/10/10p

No EQs but I sometimes drop the bass on CH1 and boost mids or raise highs on CH2 with an "/" curve.

When I first got it, everything was cranked and they left a "\" EQ on everything, was a cool dark metal sound. I like more blues/fusion/and 80s type sounds.

Tags
genz benz , mesa amps , power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode