Mesa Boogie Quad Problem PLease Help - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Mesa Boogie Quad Problem PLease Help

On my Quad, Channel 2 seams to be alot quieter than channel 1. Its
to the point where I cant have channel one be a distroted lead sound
becuase when i turn on channel 2 I wont be able to hear it.

Any suggestions? the tubes are fine. The power amp is fine.

My channel B outpet Level knob does NOT work, does anyone know how
to fix it?

Thanks you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 11:24 PM

For the sake of the discussion, let's clarify. The quad is 2 preamps in one. Lets say amp 1 and amp 2. Each amp has 2 channels, lets say channel A and B. Is it one amp that's louder than the other? Or (I think) channel A louder than channel B? If so, is it that way on BOTH amps? Or just one of the amps? As a sidenote, I just want to make sure you're aware that channel A's gain is like the overall input gain of the "amp" (1 or 2) so that where you have it set influences the gain to channel 2.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

sorry I didnt clarify that, but the whole Channel B, so the second preamp is alot quieter.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 11:38 AM

Reviews: 1
I would retube it.
Sounds like the 2nd channel tubes are failing ( any one of them can cause this, but if one is going, you may as well retube the whole channel if not the whole preamp)

Bamm
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by children of bodom
sorry I didnt clarify that, but the whole Channel B, so the second preamp is alot quieter.
Sorry to be a stickler, but you contradicted yourself here, so I still don't know what you mean. I think you mean the bottom preamp. But Channel B to me refers to the "lead" channel on both amp A and amp B. It's probably my fault because I think the output jacks on the back of the amp refer to amp 1 as "A" and amp 2 as "B" so my attempt to have you clarify probably made it worse.

Lets assume you mean the bottom preamp, or Amp 2. That's like the MKIII sound. You said your "channel B output knob doesn't work. If by that you mean that you can't control the volume of Amp 2, what did you expect? That it would magically be the same level as amp 1? :P

I'm kidding, but if that's the case, it's obvious where the problem is. To replace the pot you would either buy a new pot (exact same rating and taper) from an electronics supplier or call Boogie and get them to send/sell you one. Then you can adjust both amps to balance properly with eachother.

I wouldn't call it tube related just yet, although they do use a completely different set of tubes for each amp. The quickest free way to check if that's your problem is to swap all the tubes from amp 1 with the tubes from amp 2 and see if the output difference reverses itself.

Tags
power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode