Mesa Boogie Rectifier Preamp or Peavey JSX - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Angry Mesa Boogie Rectifier Preamp or Peavey JSX

Hei,
i really need some help here. I am living far away from any decent guitar store. A few days ago i came back from Munich were i got the possibility to test out the Mesa Boogie Express 5:25/50, a Soldano, some Marshalls a Mesa Boogie Rectifier and some other amps which didn`t blow me away.
I would like to have the sound you can here on the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WWvG...elated&search=

(He has the following gear:

Guitars: Ibanez JEM7VSBL, Ibanez Double Edge RG2020X modified.Pedals: Dunlop Original Crybaby wah, MXR Wylde Overdrive, Digitech Whammy 4, TC Electronic G-Minor MIDI foot controller.
Rack: Furman PL-Plus II Power Conditioner, TC Electronic G-Major guitar processor, Mesa/Boogie Rectifier Recording Preamp.
Amplifier: Marshall 30 Anniversary Series 6101 made in 1992 (only output stage used))
I am now considering to buy one of the following choices:
1. Peavey JSX Combo
2. Carvin legacy Combo+ Rectifier preamp
3. Mesa Boogie Roadstar rectifier
My limit is about 3200 Euro.

Which of the options would you recommend to get that sound?
P.S.: I read a lot about the different amps here and got some good information but i can`t still make up my mind what kind of gear i should choose. I send also a message to Cesar but didn`t get a concrete answer which means he recommended me to try out the stuff, but i don`t have that option.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 12:41 PM

Re: Mesa Boogie Rectifier Preamp or Peavey JSX

The Rectifier preamp is basically the preamp section of a Rectifier head, with some extra circuitry added to help with direct recording.

So unless you actually need to record, you could just buy a rectifier head. It would be cheaper than buying a rectifier preamp and separate power amp.
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Hei and thanks for answering. I read somewhere that the advantage of the rectifier preamp compared to the head would be that you can get that rectifier sound at any volume. Found out in the store that you really have to crank up when playing a Rectifier head to get that high gain sound. At lower levels it doesn`t sound espacially good. I have the same concern about the Legacy. A lot of players stated that you don`t get useable tones unless cranking it up until your ear-drum pops up.
I am also wondering if you can get the sound of the video with a simple Peavey JSX and a Boss GT 8?
post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMind View Post
I am also wondering if you can get the sound of the video with a simple Peavey JSX and a Boss GT 8?
IMO, I believe you could get that sound with a JSX combo and a Boss GT-8. But it also depend on your guitar and the way you play... but again, I think you could with the JSX and the Boss. I would go for the JSX.
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 01:59 PM

I suppose the Rec pre is a good option for what you want.

I use mine through a mesa 20/20. So i can get 40 watts in stereo (very loud), 20 watts mono (loudish), and if i need really quiet levels, i can just run it into anything that takes a line-level signal.
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Question Re: Mesa Boogie Rectifier Preamp or Peavey JSX

Thx again for answering.
I play for 15 years and have the Ibanez JS 1 and the JEM FP. I am extremely happy with both guitars. I always had just one amp a Roland DAC 15 XD which now gave up on me, which means i need a new one. I am very tempted to buy both the Peavey or Legacy + Rectifier. But that would mean i couldn`t afford the Fender Malmsteen Strat which i am also longing for. You see the GAS is a terrible disease. So the question now is Peavey + Malmsteen Strat (and the Rectifier in 2 or 3 years) or Peavey + Rectifier Preamp and the Malmsteen Strat in 2 or 3 years??
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 02:45 PM

I'd go for the Peavey and the YJM now, and the Rectifier later. At least, you'll have a great amp to play with. The other thing can wait, IMO.
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Banned

That's one of the few guys that SHOULD own a Jem.

I'm going to play with my JSX and see how close I can get to that, I'll post up when I get it recorded.

Darin
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Mesa Boogie Rectifier Preamp or Peavey JSX

Looking forward to it, thx.
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMind View Post
Looking forward to it, thx.
Ok, I don't know how to play the song...at all. But here goes. The 1st part is with a PRS Tremonti SE D tuned, the 2nd part is my Prestige standard tuned. I'm in front of my 2 CRT computer monitors, so the guitar has picked up a bit of noise. But you'll get the idea.

http://chriswoodwardmusic.com/JSX%20Horsie.mp3
post #11 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Banned

I'm going to do that again..C tuned.
post #12 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Mesa Boogie Rectifier Preamp or Peavey JSX

Thanks a lot Darin! That was absolutely fabulous!!! I also read your review on this amp earlier today. Very kind of you to record that sound sample! You totally convinced me with that!!!! I will order this amp tomorrow (now its half past 12pm her- that sample made my day).
Again thanks a lot, because that is so absolutely the thing i am looking for!! Did you use other effects or just the JSX?
post #13 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Banned

C tuned. XT Live in the loop for verb and a TINY bit of EQ. But the eg is hardy making a difference.
http://chriswoodwardmusic.com/JSX%20...0c%20tuned.mp3

The 1st clip was on the crunch channel, this one is the ultra channel.

I'll do another quick one bone dry.
post #14 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Red face Re: Mesa Boogie Rectifier Preamp or Peavey JSX

As i wrote before that nailed the sound i want. This amp i have to have. One last question: What recording devices did you use?

Best regards Andreas
post #15 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Banned

Bone dry, nothin but JSX here:
http://chriswoodwardmusic.com/JSX%20Horsie%20dry.mp3

Tags
andy timmons , boogie nomad , carvin legacy combo , clean tone , combo amp , custom guitar , custom guitars , david mccarroll , digitech whammy , dual rectifier , extension cab , fender super sonic , genz benz , ibanez jem , joe satriani , jsx combo , jsx head , local music store , malmsteen strat , mark iic , mesa boogie , mesa boogie rectifier , mesa nomad , midi foot , midi foot controller , modded marshall , music store , neck pickup , peavey classic , peavey jsx , pedal board , power amp , power tube distortion , practice amp , satch tone , speaker cab , tube amp , tube amps , tube distortion , tube head , tube power amp , tube preamp , versatile amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode