Mesa Boogie Simul Class 2 Ninety - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Mesa Boogie Simul Class 2 Ninety

Hi all! I was hoping you could give me a hand with this power amp:

Im about to buy a used `95 2:90 mesa power amp at a very good price, it has brand new Ruby and ElectroHarmonix tubes.

I was wondering if there were any major differences with the actual one in terms of quality, components, sound, etc.

Here are some pictures, it is in very special conditions for the time it has, right? Except for some knobs (I guess I could paint them?)

What do you think?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 05:58 PM

Reviews: 39
Re: Mesa Boogie Simul Class 2 Ninety

I'm not entirely what your question is about, but the 2:90 is about the finest and highest quality power amp you can buy. The caps looks fine, as they really would only need to be recapped if it was over 15 years old and under heavy use. As for the tubes, as long as they are in matched pairs in each channel (Ruby in Channel A, EH in Channel B, etc) and they are in correct Mesa bias spec, it should be fine. The 2:90 is really designed to be maximized with the Triaxis since it can use the deep/modern/half-drive features, but will work all the same with anything else...as to why you would want to paint the knobs (those are the original ones), i'm not sure.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 07:29 PM

+1 I have a 2-90 w/ T/a and agree it's a solid,loud & consistantly warm @ high levels. I also replaced my knobs w/Chrome. They look much cooler too, like the recto series. However, I used a drill to widen the inside of the knobs, because the Mesa pots are thicker.If you can pick up a T/a , the combo will melt faces Rock on!!!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 11:25 PM

I have a 2:90 also and its a fantastic amp - Mine came with the chrome knobs and it looks great. I run it in stereo with an Engl E-580 midi preamp and a G Major II for effects and it sounds killer. The G Major II has an amp switcher so it can take advantage of the deep/modern/half-drive features like the Triaxis. The Deep setting really sounds full and awesome imho.
A couple of pointers:
1. Be very careful about hooking it up to cabinets with the correct ohm settings - 4, 8 or 16, it makes a huge difference to the sound and longevity of the amp. In fact you likely will blow it up if incorrect ohm settings are used.
2. I recently switched out all 8 powertubes with new Mesa tubes and the amp sounds a 100 times better than before. I guess it had a lot of mileage on the old tubes.
3. I rarely get the volume over 1/3 even in a decent sized room - i.e. it's super loud and has tons of balls.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the replies! I would be pairing this one with a Mesa recording preamp and a Marshall 1960A, I would connect it in stereo (2 cables at 8 ohm each).

To connect the preamp to the power amp I need 2 1/4" TRS cables right (as short as possible)? And two speaker cables from the power amp to the cab (actually one because the cab includes one already) connected as I said above.

One more thing: I have a footswitch to change the voicings of the power amp, but Ive seen videos and heard of some people that experience a loud pop when changing voicings, specially the half drive, do you have that same problem?

Thanks again!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 12:58 PM

Reviews: 39

The recto pre with the 2:90 will sound great! Yes, you can change the voicings with a pedal, and the pop is reported is normal among 2:90 users i've heard from various other 2:90 users.

On connecting the pre to the the 2:90 just make sure you are using good quality shielded cables, as the better the quality of cables, the better the sound quality will be. Shorter is better because it will clean up your rack, and running it in dual 8 ohm will be perfectly fine, just make sure you're matching your cabinet load, as guitvai1 pointed out.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Perfect! Thanks once again! Youve been really helpful.

PD: I cant wait to play with my drummer again, he hits it so hard its not funny, now well see who begs the other one to tone it down, ha.

Tags
bogner , diezel , engl , mesa , vht

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode