Ibanez JEM Forum banner
4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  SimpleMind 
#1 ·
Can anyone explain me the difference between the following amps: Mesa Roadster, Mesa Stiletto, Marshal 1987 reissue.
THis is what i think: Marshall: sounds good when turned loud, not exactley a bedroom amp.
Stiletto: Marshallesque but more gain, maybe a little bit more modern sounding--> Andy Timmons. Ok clean sound but not a Loanstar clean.
Roadster: Rectifier sound good for rythm but maybe not as good for lead sounds. Very fine "Loanstar" cleans. Not really a tight lead sound. Maybe not the first choice if you want to shred? But what about the Andy Timmons leads? Do you get that with a Roadster.
Which one would you choose and why?

#2 ·
If you are Andy Timmons you get that from everything.

Marshall 1987 Non-master volume plexi reissue right. Well you would have to play this really loud and use some kind of boost pedal approach anything I would call a lead sound.

The stiletto yeah more marshall esque than a recto but I still think it really is its own beast. I have heard this amp sound good but have never made it sound good. I found it to be a little fuzzy sounding but less then the recto and of course this clears up with some volume. Yeah also the clean not stellar but not bad for a 100-watt el-34 powered head.

The roadster I just can't stand except for the clean sound and I only like the clean because or the reverb. These amps I find to be fuzzy and buzzy and I always feel like I am picking through pea soup. Again this improves with lots of volume. Also I have found that an overdrive help tighten it up a bit.

Please keep in mind I don't like new boogie stuff really only the mark series stuff and the triaxis. I play an engl mostly, a splawn and a soldano. So who knows if I know much about this amps, but I have sold them all.

#3 ·
So you did have the Roadster but sold it? Somebody told me its just a question of dialing and that you can get every tone from Malmsteen, SRV, Timmons to Metallica with the Roadster. He said that the Roadster is a very responsive amp with good tone definition+ if you don`t get the tones of the guys above you do something wrong regarding the dialing.

#4 ·
No I never had one I sold them at a store. But I have hours of play time with that amp and don't like it and before we question this I can play like everyone you mentioned there. I have heard that for some reason they sound different at 230volt or what ever your power is over there. I now people who love this amp but I just don't find it to be very tight. It is a versatile amp but I would never say it can nail those tones. I really don't think it can do the SRV thing vary well at all but neither can my amps. And on yngwie really never got that out of it not even with the yngwie strat. I am a fairly good tone tweaker and most any decent amp can come close but I think there are way better amps out there. (Most are German made).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.