Mesa/Boogie Stiletto on site... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Mesa/Boogie Stiletto on site...

Well, the Stiletto finally made it on to the main Mesa web page- surfed over during a break in work and saw it staring back at me. So, gotta ask... has anyone gotten a chance to play one of these yet? I'm assuming that means it's in stores. Any thoughts/impressions? I'm not a massive fan of the typical EL sound, but I'm curious to see what mesa's done with it... A less overpoweringly bass-heavy recto sounds interesting.

-D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 12:01 PM

After seeing Andy Timmons do a couple of demos at NAMM, I got a chance to spend 10 minutes or so on the Stiletto Deuce head through a 4x12" cab. NAMM is far from the ideal setting to get an accurate impression of an amp, but from what I was able to tell, the Stiletto is definitely a nice addition to Mesa's lineup. It wasn't nearly as muddy and sterile as Recto heads usually seem to be. It was much more lively- it just "breathed" better. If I was in the market for a new Boogie, I'd probably consider picking up a Stiletto. Of course, having Mr. Timmons do 3 demos a day made the thing sound REALLY good!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 02:42 PM

I guess it's a matter of preference. I don't find Rectos to be "muddy" or "sterile". I would describe it as "warm" and "crisp". To-may-to to-mah-to.

So the Stiletto is basically Mesa's approach to making a more "British" sounding amp? In their newsletter, they suggested that in two-guitar bands, the Stiletto tone and Recto tone complimented each other and let both guitars occupy their own space in the mix. Makes sense. But it's probably also a lot of marketing BS.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 03:07 PM

You've pretty much got it right- the Stiletto is definitely very much British in nature. Moreso than the Rectos are. I've simply never been fond of the Rectifier sound at all, so it's definitely a matter of "taste".
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 04:07 PM

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
It wasn't nearly as muddy and sterile as Recto heads usually seem to be...
Kind of a contradiction isn't it?
I would think it would be one or the other, not both.
Who's heard of sterile mud?

Bamm
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 04:39 PM

Every Recto I've ever heard or played through has been both muddy AND sterile. Indistinct, flat, "blah" sounding with no personality. Muddy and sterile. Of course, that's only regarding the couple of dozen or so Dual & Triple rec amps that I've personally played.

Strictly my opinion though. I'm more used to Matchless, which is about as far from a Recto as possible
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 05:49 PM

The Boogie Rep was at my local GC the other day and said that the Lone Stars are about six weeks out, but the Stilletto proabably won't show up until May. Just FYI....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitting duck
The Boogie Rep was at my local GC the other day and said that the Lone Stars are about six weeks out, but the Stilletto proabably won't show up until May. Just FYI....
We've had a couple Mesa Lone Stars in the shops around here for a few weeks now... go figure
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
Every Recto I've ever heard or played through has been both muddy AND sterile. Indistinct, flat, "blah" sounding with no personality. Muddy and sterile. Of course, that's only regarding the couple of dozen or so Dual & Triple rec amps that I've personally played.
Ditto, I've been hugely unimpressed by the rectos I've played in stores, but listening to them on stage with bands like Metallica and Sepultura, they make a lot more sense. They're very much a 'band' kind of amp rather than one that sounds great when you're noodling by youself.
I should like to check out the Stilletto but Mesa Boogies are just too far out of my price range (and if I had that money to spend on an amp, I'd get a Hughes & Kettner Triamp).
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi D
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitting duck
We've had a couple Mesa Lone Stars in the shops around here for a few weeks now... go figure
Yeah, now that I think about it, I'm sure that he just meant this area - I've heard that other people have played them already. I'm a little jealous - I'd love to try them......
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie
Ditto, I've been hugely unimpressed by the rectos I've played in stores, but listening to them on stage with bands like Metallica and Sepultura, they make a lot more sense. They're very much a 'band' kind of amp rather than one that sounds great when you're noodling by youself.
See, due to their herculean bass output, i've always felt the exact opposite about the recifiers- that marshalls sound weak and thin alone but much better with a band, where they compliment the other instruments nicely. The rectos sound huge on their own. I have yet to play one with a band- I'm seriously considering dropping my TSL for one, so if i do, i'll let you know.

-D

Tags
andy timmons , kettner triamp , mesa boogie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode