Mesa/Boogie Studio .22 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Mesa/Boogie Studio .22

Has anyone heard/played/owned a Mesa/Boogie Studio .22?
I just might go amp-shopping in order to get a tiny good amp for practice and small gigs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 12:41 PM

Mesa/Boogie Studio .22

I have a DC-2, which is essentially a .22 studio. *I like it a lot. *The only downside I have is I can't get good heavy metal tones.(yet) *Clean, Blues, Overdriven, Santana tones are all right there, just not the metal. Mine does not have the "Contour" switch on it, and I think that would get you closer to the metal tone. *I've had it for 2 yrs., 2nd owner. *I haven't changed the tubes but that is on my list to do this month.

What I do to fix the Metal tone problem currently, is I run a Korg Pandora PX3 like a Preamp and just use the Clean channel. I think the tone is pretty good, it's no Legacy, but I when I played my company picnic I had other guitar players saying my rig sounded killer, better than the other guitar player and he has a "Marhsall". *It just seems to take any signal you put into it and sweeten it up. * :cheesy:

I payed $390 for mine on Ebay, it has the tan grilled and biege leather exterior. *Hope this helps.

Sean
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 03:50 PM

Mesa/Boogie Studio .22

I have a Studio .22, and everything Sean said about the DC-2 pretty well applies to the .22 also.

I haven't used it for a few years (I'm a Line 6 fan now), but I used it when I would sit in with other bands and it was really portable and did the job well. I bought a Marshall single 12 inch cabinet to use as an extension cabinet, and putting the .22 on top of the Marshall 1x12 raised the .22 up to an acceptable height.

I used to regularly use it as a guest with a five piece band that included another guitarist with a 100 watt Marshall half stack. *I had to put the .22 on seven or eight, but it snarled and rumbled and held together, and sounded wonderful. Those tubes were WORKING!

I also never got a decent metal tone out of it, but clean, classic rock, and Santana-type creamy tones were all wonderful. * I used to do just what Sean described - I used the clean channel and ran a Zoom processor into the front. That always sounded very good, after I used the onboard eq to tweak the sound in different rooms.

Bill
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 05:45 PM

Reviews: 1
Mesa/Boogie Studio .22

I have had my Studio 22 for about 5 years or so, it was built in '87. I love the virsatility of the amp. You CAN get close to a metal sound, don't expect Recto tone, but you can get plenty o' crunch. If I remember, I can post some of the sample settings that boogie puts out. essentially, you dial up the pre, down the master, up on the treble, mid way on the mid and bass, then set your presence to where its not too shrill. That is boogie's "bedroom metal" tone if yours has the eq built in, then the ever popular "V" mid scoop eq trick helps immensely. Sell my studio? NO WAY !
that one will be a part of my arsenal for some time. I used it for about 1 year for a preamp, then eventually had to use it for my main amp. It pushed a 4x12 cab quite well for an entire show, I did this more than one occasion. Great amp, great tone, toss a tube screamer in front of it, you have a great tool at your disposal.
Bammbamm

Tags
extension cab , guitar players , heavy metal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode