Mesa/Boogie Studio .22+ for metal? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Mesa/Boogie Studio .22+ for metal?

Hi guys

I'm considering buying a Mesa/Boogie Studio .22+, but I wonder if it can produce juicy and thrashy metal tones? I'm thinking like Master of Puppets-ish, KsE, stuff like that.

I'm playing an Ibanez RG520IX with ToneZone in bridge, and Air Norton in neck, and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with stock pickups.

I've seen this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpCc7...e=channel_page (take a look from 1:30 and further)

Isn't the Studio Preamp the same Preamp as in Studio .22?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 11:31 AM

Re: Mesa/Boogie Studio .22+ for metal?

The Studio Pre was suppose to be designed with the IIC+ in mind.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 12:05 PM

Yes it can. I had one back in the day and it is still probably my favorite amp I've owned. I had a Vintage 30 put in mine, but with the onboard EQ you could easily get a nice thrash tone from it. It did so much more as well.

My only complaint was that adjusting the levels to switch from the clean to dirty channles was difficult. The optimal setting for one made it hard to switch to the other at a usuable level. So not the best for live playing with a lot of clean/dirty changes. But hey- it's called Studio for a reason. For that purpose it was just unbleievable, IMO.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 02:27 PM

the .22 meh? You want a 5150. That's what KSE actually uses. For Master of Puppets you need an actual Mark series amp. The calibres don't really cut it grit wise.

Tags
boogie , mesa , metal , metallica , studio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode