Mesa Dual Rectifiers... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Mesa Dual Rectifiers...

Alot of people have been telling me that the older duel channel rectifiers are much better then the newer triple channel rectos.

Can anyone clarify on this? I'm thinking of purchasing a Dual Rectifier in the future and will probably want to get it new rather then second hand so i want to know if it's worth me getting one new even though many people say the older two channel Rectos are better?

Pro players seem to endorse the "two channels is better then three" thing because every setup i see with Rectifiers in them (Metallica, many "nu-metal" bands and many shred guitarists) have the two channel rectifiers rather then the three channel rectifiers backstage and mic'd up, with a backline of the newer three channel rectifiers as dummies or something (to keep Mesa happy with their endorsements i guess). I know Petrucci uses the Road Kings (which are newer Rectifiers) and i love Petrucci's sound, but i just want to know you guy's opinion on this

Cheers,
C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 05:33 PM

Re: Mesa Dual Rectifiers...

well... i have heard this to..i hope it's true because i really didn't like the 3 channel duels and triples...i was going to get somthing like that early this year but insteed i bought a brand new Mk IV and it's been the best thing i hav ever got..True..but get a two channel if you don't need that third channel.....

Tom
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 05:54 PM

Figure it this way, the Orange channel on the Dual and Triple rectifiers are generally more often used by people than the stupidly high gain red channel. One of my clients that I do tech work for owns a custom Mesa Triple Rectifier and I find that his orange channel sounds a lot better than the third red channel.

So you're not really missing a whole lot with the 2-channel version.
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 06:22 PM

the third channel just has more presence. the 3 channels have a rep for being a bit harsher sounding (and more buzzy) than the two channels. although the cleans on the newer ones are a bit better. either way you must know how to tweak these amps as with any other mesa or it will sound like crap.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 10:28 PM
rgr

Supposedly the first few runs had better output trannies. That's about all I know, I had a Single Recto once and it helped me decide that I'm more of a Marshall guy.

Roger
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud
Alot of people have been telling me that the older duel channel rectifiers are much better then the newer triple channel rectos.

Can anyone clarify on this? I'm thinking of purchasing a Dual Rectifier in the future and will probably want to get it new rather then second hand so i want to know if it's worth me getting one new even though many people say the older two channel Rectos are better?

Pro players seem to endorse the "two channels is better then three" thing because every setup i see with Rectifiers in them (Metallica, many "nu-metal" bands and many shred guitarists) have the two channel rectifiers rather then the three channel rectifiers backstage and mic'd up, with a backline of the newer three channel rectifiers as dummies or something (to keep Mesa happy with their endorsements i guess). I know Petrucci uses the Road Kings (which are newer Rectifiers) and i love Petrucci's sound, but i just want to know you guy's opinion on this

Cheers,
C.
personally i think you'll get a lot closer to petrucci's lead tone with a Mark rather than a recto. I never liked the Rectos cuase i thought they were gritty and a little over the top with death metal crunch. The mark IV is a much smoother sounding amp. i don't know much about the RK though.. i know it's a freaking fortune, thats about it. if i were gonna spend the amount for an RK head, though, i'd probably splurge the extra few hundred and get a triaxis/2:90 combination. I don't think a normal recto will get you near the sound of the RK either, since the RK is supposedly extremely versatile. i'd say look into the Marks or a Nomad if you can find them.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 01:39 AM

I own a 1988 Mesa Mark III. It's the best investment I have ever made. To be blunt, the Dual Recs aren't worth the money spent on them. I'm not a big fan of that "nu-metal" sound that seems to be popular today. If you're looking for that distinct tone, then this is the head for you. However, Mark has the creamy, virtuoso tone that it seems you're looking for. The series is tremendously versatile; the tonal possibilities are endless with each head. Clean, crunch, and lead channels all bring something to the table. The Mark series is worth checking out. Well, I hope this helps. Good luck.

-Nordhauser
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 01:46 AM

I hope I'm not the only one that finds that Rectifier sound pretty generic right now. Grab a guitar with some EMGs, tune to drop-D then play through a rectifier, you just sound as good as any of those nu-metal guys.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 01:49 AM

Haha well stated.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 04:32 AM

Mk Iv are three channels are 3 channel and thats one of JP old main amps before the RK...?? there's a idea...

Tom
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 07:15 AM

Boy the recto's sure have gotten a bad rap thanks to the nu-metal thing.... If you guys are unaware there is more to a recto than the "modern" setting on the overdrive channel. My rect-o-verb spends most of it's time set to the "vintage", but it sure is nice to have that extra gain option.

JP's mark series lead tone came from a Mark IIc.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce
I hope I'm not the only one that finds that Rectifier sound pretty generic right now. Grab a guitar with some EMGs, tune to drop-D then play through a rectifier, you just sound as good as any of those nu-metal guys.
most of them play ibanez's too, so i guess that makes those 'dirty'. just because some bands you dont like use the amp, doesnt mean it isnt a good amp. those amps sound awesome. AWESOME.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 09:18 AM

I'm not saying they're bad amps, it's just that it's a pretty generic sound right now. (still sounds good, but I wish the lead tones were a bit better)
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

I knew that Petrucci used Triaxis and Mark amps before Road Kings and i was actually looking into a MarkIV but when one of my college tutors started shredding through an original dual rectifier, i was really blown away.

I already have a JCM2000 TSL100 which providers a really great smooth sound and usually if i need a more high gain sound, i use a Marshall Super Bass with a DOD death metal pedal but i'm quite interested in getting a new amp in the future that can do the whole Petrucci and heavy metal sound. Would the MarkIV head and a 4x12" cab still give me the really heavy sound i'm looking for?

Most likely option i'd like to do, is get a rackmounted MarkIV and 4x12" cab. Any idea's what type of rack i'd need to get and where from? I know Mesa do sell racks. I have a couple of other 1U rack effect processors, so i'm looking for a 4-6U rackmount. Problem is, i'll probably need to be able to lie the rackmount down in the back of a car, so will lying this rackmount down on it's side damage the amps or anything like that? (Valves and stuff like that can be a bitch)

Edit - I was actually also looking into the Diezel VH4 head, but whatever

Cheers again!
Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Chud; 12-25-2005 at 11:48 AM.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 05:43 PM

Hey chud, what do you think about the tsl's channel switching? seem to get a volume dip going back to clean, which i'm not sure I like, has it ever made a dogs dinner in any of your songs? not sure i should gig with this amp, or even keep it, my jcm 800 split channel goes back to clean really nice and seamless.

Tags
clean tone , death metal , diezel herbert , dual rectifier , dual recto , engl thunder , fender twin , guitar shop , heavy metal , high gain amp , mark iic , mesa dual , mesa dual recto , mesa mark , mesa mark iii , mesa triple rectifier , modded marshall , triple rectifier , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode