Mesa F-50 combo vs. Marshall MF-350 Mode 4 head - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Mesa F-50 combo vs. Marshall MF-350 Mode 4 head

Hi. What would be better for me? Mesa F50 combo or Marshall Mode 4 head with a Vintage 30 equipped cab?? The marshall head is 575 US with shipping and is mint. The Mesa is used and is 650 US+ shipping. I play modern rock and Modern "Nu" Metal. I use an Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige. Can someone please help me out??

P.S. I really like the band Linkin Park and their sound. Does anyone know what kind of gear their using? I know they got PRS guitars but I dont know which amps.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 07:47 PM

Re: Mesa F-50 combo vs. Marshall MF-350 Mode 4 head

Linkin park used to use mesa.
My guitar teacher helped design the mode 4
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 10:10 PM

Brad used Mesa Triple Rectos on the first two albums, and he used an assortment of amps (Plexis, Twin Reverbs, AC30s, a few weird amps) on their latest album. Live, he uses a Randall MTS series head with a bunch of custom made modules to replicate the vintage amps. Guitars, he used to use Ibanez RGs live (along with some PRS guitars), but in the studio like the PRS more. I know for a fact all 7 string LP songs were Ibanez. Now, he uses the PRS, some strats, and some other fenders (mustangs, teles, etc).

And as far as the amp choice goes, i haven't tried either amps, but people say the F-50s aren't good for total brutal numetal distortion. So, i'd say look into a Mesa Recto if you wanna cop a NuMetal sound. Or the MF350. I know a bunch of numetal bands used it (i know Spineshank used them while they were still around).
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 11:05 PM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex10 View Post
My guitar teacher helped design the mode 4
Whoa that's cool! I have one, but the distortions built in the amp are pretty horrid. I use it basically for a power amp to amp up my podXT live for all of my tone, although there are some really decent cleans the amp can make pretty much all it's own. I got it off a friend who grew tired of it and sold it to me for way less than what it goes for. But I would say it's probably one of the most overpriced amp's Marshall ever made. That being said I think I paid what it should go for which was like $450-500 if I recall. I like how loud it is, but when i have the money someday i'll be down to a Mesa Mark IV and that should be all I need
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 11:31 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothersnowgone View Post
someday i'll be down to a Mesa Mark IV and that should be all I need
+1!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 04:26 PM

Of the two, the Mesa, hands down. The Mode4 isn't what people have in mind when someone talks about "the Marshall sound."
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 04:53 PM

The Mesa, easily. The F50 sounds amazing, with a clean channel to die for. The mode 4 always sounded very harsh and lifeless to me.

Tags
ibanez rga , mesa mark , mesa recto , power amp , prs guitar , prs guitars , triple recto , twin reverb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode