Mesa Lonestar Special - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Mesa Lonestar Special

I was at GC yesterday and I was really interested in hearing the lonestar so I figured i'd try this one out. The special has the el84's (the regular one has 6l6s but they didnt have that one). Man that amp sounded awesome with single coils especially a tele-style guitar that I tried on it. Of course I had to give it a shot and threw the JEM through it and it definitely didn't like that guitar, the pickups were wayyy too hot for it. Cleans were ungodly and broke up a lil early but still sounded great. Ch 2 looses barely any clarity and the gain on it is so smooth. Anyone try the lonestar before iwth the 6l6s? Would it be any more Ibanez-friendly? If not, is there an amp that is similar but a little more tighten and a little more balls because now I want to find it. The only thing I think may be close would be the Bogner Escasty, but not quite. How about other mesas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 10:31 AM

Re: Mesa Lonestar Special

Your title is the "Special". Was it the Special or just the regular Lone Star? I think the non-Special is more versatile and may be more what you are looking for. I just received my new custom Lone Star & I play Jems right now as my main guitar.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Well I wanted to play the Lonestar but they only had the special. Ok so the regular one is more versatile and handles these guitars better you're saying?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 11:16 AM

I think so. Jems are my main guitars right now. I have 3 electric guitars and they are all Jems, however, in the near future my main guitars I will be using will be a Jem, a Les Paul, and a PRS.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Do you use an OD pedals and which work good for this amp? I know it isn't a metal amp but if I wanted to get something close to it is it obtainable?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 11:37 AM

The pedals I use are more of that classic rock and maybe a little heavier than that. But because these have a great clean channel you can probably find the metal pedal that you like and it would be easy to obtain that true metal sound from the pedal you are using.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 11:40 AM

i played a lonstar spec. and it was freaking amazing . if i had to pick an amp to play for the rest of my life that would probably be it . It may not do metal or hard rock but the sweet smooth distortion is just too good .

i didn't play the 6l6 version but i can imagin it would be nice as well .

check out andy timmons' stuff he uses them and there are some good clips on youtube with him talking about his setup .
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Yea that was what got me even more interested haha. I also saw a lot of good talk about the Mark IV but I think I'm getting to the point where I'd rather find the perfect amp which I would not need another amp. I know its expensive but If I can use it for everything I will not need to spend money on other amps haha. Yea I think Timmons has the greatest tone I've even heard.

Tags
andy timmons , electric guitar , les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode