Mesa Mark IV - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 13
Mesa Mark IV

Just after picking up a Mesa Mark IV. And I can't seem to dial in many good sounds. Its layout is extremely complex! Anyone have any tips for getting great tone from this amp?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:16 PM

Reviews: 3
Re: Mesa Mark IV

keep the bass controls low, i run my lead bass at about 0-1, and add bass back in with the graphic. i keep my mids, treble and presence high and adjust with the graphic.
if it's a combo, good luck. i could never get the combo to sound good. running into a 2x12 or 4x12 makes a huge difference.
good luck.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Mesa is my heaven, send it to me, I promisse after I dialed and noted some amazing tones I'll send it back.................
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:41 PM

there is video settings for mark V i don"t know how much its different from IV but here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kOIx7HbhxQ
its 2 part video john petrucci will show the settings that he uses from clean to drive sound.

regards.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 08:28 PM

Here's a ton of user settings from the boogie board:
http://www.grailtone.com/tone-settin...-settings.html

I have a Mark V and it's tricky to get dialed in as well. Stick it out though and you'll be pleased
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 10:25 AM

Mesa (especially the Mark series) amps are those amps that will have you tweaking for months on end until you find the right settings that suit your style and ears. Don't give up, just keep tweaking, use the suggestions above, and also from sample settings at grailtone, tweak it to adjust to your liking. These amps aren't your typical out of the box tonal bliss, but once you dial it in, you'll be drooling all over the place. What I always do with any of my mesa amps, once I get it dialed in, for indoors and outdoor gigs, I take a photograph and date it. I guess writing it down can work too, but I'm lazy.

Here are JP's settings, which I have used as my base, then branched off from there.
http://www.johnpetrucci.com/images/g...K4Settings.jpg
http://www.johnpetrucci.com/images/g...K4Settings.jpg
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirah View Post
keep the bass controls low, i run my lead bass at about 0-1, and add bass back in with the graphic. i keep my mids, treble and presence high and adjust with the graphic.
if it's a combo, good luck. i could never get the combo to sound good. running into a 2x12 or 4x12 makes a huge difference.
good luck.
it is indeed a combo, but the speaker is the same one they use in their cabs so it should sound good. thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Mesa is my heaven, send it to me, I promisse after I dialed and noted some amazing tones I'll send it back.................
haha deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatal1ty39 View Post
there is video settings for mark V i don"t know how much its different from IV but here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kOIx7HbhxQ
its 2 part video john petrucci will show the settings that he uses from clean to drive sound.

regards.

mark v seems quite different. but thanks!

cheers for all the advice, it seem the consensus is that its just an amp you gotta work hard at making your own. I'm so used to the 'out of the box' amps that I've never had to dial one in.

I'll take a look at some of those template suggestions! thanks!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 03:24 PM

Abuddy of mine had completely removed or hardwire bypassed(I think) the Presence control from his Mark IV head and it made a phenomenal improvement according to him.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 09:14 AM

Reviews: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
Abuddy of mine had completely removed or hardwire bypassed(I think) the Presence control from his Mark IV head and it made a phenomenal improvement according to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom24 View Post
I'm so used to the 'out of the box' amps that I've never had to dial one in.

I'll take a look at some of those template suggestions! thanks!
Welcome to the awesome world of Mesa! Dialing it in is the fun part though, at first you'll probably be all disapointed with the tone, then you'll hit that magic spot and say "THAT'S IT!" And after that, you're still in tweaker heaven. A big thing is connecting it to a 4x12 though; totally changes how awesome the amp is!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 10:07 AM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicProvocateur View Post

Welcome to the awesome world of Mesa! Dialing it in is the fun part though, at first you'll probably be all disapointed with the tone, then you'll hit that magic spot and say "THAT'S IT!" And after that, you're still in tweaker heaven. A big thing is connecting it to a 4x12 though; totally changes how awesome the amp is!
Are we turning into SS.org?!??!??!
free shono!!!!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 09:51 AM

Reviews: 39

Just calling it like I see it man lol.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

I copped out! I traded it on! Lasted all of 2 weeks with it. Traded it for a Dual Rectifier, much easier to dial in a good tone!

Tags
mesa mark iv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode