Mesa Mark IV - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
rgr

Mesa Mark IV

So a guy wants to trade me a Mesa Mark IV for my Rivera S120 straight up. *I like my Rivera but Mark IVs are holding their value more and it has 3 channels instead of 2. *Petrucci uses/has used one, Hammett has one in his rig (doesn't really matter but it's a point of reference). *I have never tried one though and the guy needs to know today. *He wants the Rivera as a back up to his main Rivera so I understand. *

Does anyone out there have any experience with one that they would like to share?

Thanks,
Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 04:11 PM

Mesa Mark IV

Why not.
Sounds ok, if you don't like it you can always flog it and grab another Rivera.
You don't lose out.

On the other hand, if your Rivera gives you the lovin' you want then keep it

Steve
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
rgr

Mesa Mark IV

I know, tough question. *Being a guitar player I'm always searching for the "perfect" tone. *The Rivera is pretty close, with the right pedal push. *Will a Mark IV be closer? *Don't know. *The Rivera does have a stereo power amp, which is cool for stereo effects, but how often do you mic' a guitar amp in stereo on a gig, or even recording. *The Mark IV has a silent recording out which is cool. *I think I'll go for it, if it doesn't work out I can sell the Boogie and buy a Soldano or something. *
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 04:59 PM

Mesa Mark IV

I LOVE my Mark IV. *Period. *Overall, the most versatile amp I've played (well...most versatile TUBE amp...the Line 6 Vetta is the most versatile overall!). *

The Mark IV has incredible tone, and a lot of it. *TONS of versatility. *I'm actually considering pickup up another, as a backup. *VERY reliable too.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
rgr

Mesa Mark IV

Hey Chris, thanks for the recommendation. *I just decided to do it, I think the IV will fit the bill from clean to heavy. *You helped me feel better about the decision. *A dealer friend of mine used to use a Mark IV and he recommended it, especially the earlier ones from when they were hand made. * He doesn't like the new Mesas, he quit carrying them. *He said the quality just isn't there anymore considering the price. *I'm also waiting on new GT-75s for my Genz Benz cab, I need a smoother midrange. *The GB speakers are based on the V30s and I've decided I don't like them that much. *The 75s are brighter and tighter sounding.

Roger
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 05:49 PM

Mesa Mark IV

Dude he wants ANOTHER RIVERA to back up his main amp...a RIVERA. *Petrucci has a Mark IV, but mixes it with probably $10k worth of other amp gear alone to get his sound....plus he gets them for free. *I have never heard of a Rivera player player being dissatisfied with his tone, but I know many Mark IV owners that are. *The mark IV is a cool amp, but I wouldn't sell my Rivera for it unless I was going to sell the Mark IV to buy more Riveras. *Keep the Rivera and if you want a Mark IV save your money and buy one used. *This way you won't regret selling the Rivera. *Besides you already know that the Rivera gets your sound, but you have no idea about the Mark IV. *This should be a no brainer.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 06:03 PM

Mesa Mark IV

I've never heard ANY Mark IV owner express anything less than pure joy in regards to the tone, versatility, and overall quality of the amp. *JP DOES back his Mark IV up...with another Mark IV! *And a Mark IIC+. *And a Dual Rectifier. * And a ton of other Boogie equipment. *They're great amps, and they DO hold their value far better than anything Rivera (and most other amp companies to boot!). *If you're looking for something different that will be an easy re-sell down the road, you can't go wrong with a Mark IV. *
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 06:21 PM

Mesa Mark IV

For the record, Mr. Petrucci has used the Mark IV pretty much straight. *His sound on the Evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess CD is just a Mark IV combo with a delay pedal and noise gate, straight up.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
rgr

Mesa Mark IV

He wants another Rivera because he has his switching boxes set up on his pedalboard and wants somenting he can plug straight in, not because he doesn't like the Mark IV. *Of course, I've never heard of needing a backup for an old Rivera anyway (or a Mark IV for that matter). *I like the Rivera, it's not my ultimate tone though, still looking for that. *I may end up going back to the rack in the end, especially if we end up doing 4 sets of covers, to get the versatility. *I'm sure the Mark IV will work well for me, and it will be more versatile. *They are both great amps, just slightly different shades of the same color. *

BTW, I'm not 100% loyal to any guitar or amp company, I'm going to give the Mesa a shot mostly 'cause I've never used one. *I have heard them sound great though. *

Roger

(Edited by rgr at 3:31 pm on Jan. 30, 2002)
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 10:17 PM

Mesa Mark IV

I've been a Mark IV user for over two years now and I'm very happy with it. Every time I get a teeny bit bored of the tone, I just need to jam with someone else and hear how awesome my tone is :biggrin:

VERY versatile, built like a tank, tubes last forever, lots of power.. Except it's a heavy SOB to move.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
rgr

Mesa Mark IV

Thanks for the feedback, the Mark IV can't be any heavier than the S120, it has 2 output transformers since it's stereo. *Uggghhh.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 12:40 PM

Mesa Mark IV

Yeah, the Mark IV is cool, but kinda confusing if your'e not used to it!! Seriously, like every other knob has a push pull feature (modes and switches everywhere), and learning the controls of the thing is comparable to learning all the controls on the dashboard of a 747 airplane.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 01:06 PM

Mesa Mark IV

Quote:
Guitarlos2 on 11:40 am on Jan. 31, 2002
Yeah, the Mark IV is cool, but kinda confusing if your'e not used to it!!
Yep...had one a few years ago and carried around a sheet with settings on it...don't bump those knobs!

The thing is HEAVY, but great sounding. *I felt it was more of a high volume amp, and I never had it cranked often enough to benefit.
Greg
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 08:06 PM

Mesa Mark IV

One reccomendation: I got the Mark IV combo because I had a vision in my head about being able to move it to jams etc easily. Boy was I wrong!! It would have been FAR easier if I got a head and 1x12 cabinet even if it means taking two trips to move my stuff, simply because it's so heavy. In the range of 70-80 pounds for the 1x12 combo.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-02-2002, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
rgr

Mesa Mark IV

I'm getting a Mark IV head, not a combo. *I use a 2-12 Genz Benz cabinet that I just loaded with Celestion GT-75s 'cause I find the mids a little harsh on the GB speakers. *They actually use the same cones as V30s, I guess they just aren't my cup o' tea. *As far as push/pull knobs and such, I traded a Rivera S120, no shortage of push/pulls and controls on that puppy either. *I don't think it will be too drastic a change.

Roger

Tags
bogner uberschall , delay pedal , dual rectifier , genz benz , john petrucci , jordan rudess , mark iic , marshall cabs , mesa boogie , mesa mark , ohm load , ohm speaker , ohm speakers , power amp , tube amp , versatile amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode