Mesa Mark IV Owners - care to share?? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Mesa Mark IV Owners - care to share??

hey everyone...

with some time off work with this HORRIBLE weather.... I thought I might get a chance to fiddle with my Mesa Mark IV combo I got a couple months back....

anyone care to share with me some of their settings and/or secrets of this killer amp? I mean...with a 5 month old...its gonna take me two days to read the manual!

thanks in advance too guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 01:51 AM

I've learned that because there are so many tonal possibilities with the Mark IV, I need to write 'em down in case I ever want to go back. Here are the last three configurations I used:

Current:
Class A / Triode
R1: Gain 3 Treble 6 Presence 4 Master 6
R1/R2 shared: Bass 4.5 Mid 7
R2: Gain 10 (pulled) Treble 8 Presence 5 Master 1.5
LD (midgain): Gain 8 (pulled) Treble 6 Bass 3.5 Mid 7 Drive 8 (pulled) Presence 3 Master 1.5

Previous:
Class A / Pentode
R1: Gain 6 (pulled) Treble 6.5 Presence 4 Master 8
R1/R2 shared: Bass 4.5 Mid 7
R2: Gain 10 (pulled) Treble 8 Presence 3 Master 4
LD (midgain): Gain 8 (pulled) Treble 6 Bass 3.5 Mid 7 Drive 8 (pulled) Presence 3 Master 4

First settings:
Class A / Pentode
R1: Gain 6 (pulled) Treble 6.5 Presence 4 Master 5
R1/R2 shared: Bass 5 Mid 7
R2: Gain 10 (pulled) Treble 7.5 Presence 3.5 Master 4
LD (midgain): Gain 8 (pulled) Treble 7 Bass 4.5 Mid 8 Drive 7 (pulled) Presence 3 Master 4.5

The changes I've made over time have been focused mostly on 1) increasing the overall amount of useful gain and 2) trying to get a warmer (less trebly) sound. I think switching from Pentode to Triode had a big impact in both areas.

Hope this helps! If you find some cool sounds, be sure to post 'em back!

Thanks!
--Brent
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 12:29 PM

Good luck!
I had that head for 10 years and it took me 7 to finally get the sound i wanted from it LOL

In retropsect, i shoulda kept it had i been clued in to the BBE maximizers, as in my opinion, without one of those on the Mk IV, its still just mush...
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 01:33 PM

It can take a long while to get the right tone... When I first got the Mark IV I was really frustrated with it and almost ended up trading it in on a Nomad. Now I'm thinking about trading my practice Nomad in for a second Mark IV.

Although reading the manual is somewhat tedious, it's kind of a must-read. There are so many controls, they don't always respond linearly (e.g., this control will increase drastically from 1-7 then taper off from 8-10) and they are often interdependent (e.g., setting of the treble control also adjusts the sensitivity of the bass control), plus some no-no's (e.g., never turn the gain up to 10 on the LD channel, although it's OK to do so on R2). There are lots of suggestions in the manual that are decent starting points for finding your tone.

--B
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 11:30 AM

i have a mark 4 and i love it. i've been playing it everyday for the 3 months I've had it. I still haven't found my perfect sound. I've been getting into warmer tones lately, so I have to reconfigure my "scooped mids" eq and try to make a nicer more frinedly distorted tone.

I turn my gain on the lead channel to 8-9 with the knob pulled. I didn't know it was a no-no and I've read the manual 5 times. I also use class a, triode, and harmonics.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

well, as you all can see...this thing, and my life, are very time consuming!

thanks for all the shared wealth guys...here's what I've come up with..

Class A / Pentode
R1: Gain 7 (pulled) Treble 4.5 Presence 3 Master 7
R1/R2 shared: Bass 7 Mid 9
R2: Gain 7 (pulled) Treble 7.5 Presence 3.5 Master 3
LEAD (midgain): Gain 6 Treble 5 Bass 4.5 Mid 7 Drive 5
Presence 6 Master 5

I'm trying to find that "sweet spot" with the Output Level now!

Are most of you using the Tweed Power setting, or the Full Power?

thanks again,
Chris
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS ROYAL DARKNESS
well, as you all can see...this thing, and my life, are very time consuming!

thanks for all the shared wealth guys...here's what I've come up with..

Class A / Pentode
R1: Gain 7 (pulled) Treble 4.5 Presence 3 Master 7
R1/R2 shared: Bass 7 Mid 9
R2: Gain 7 (pulled) Treble 7.5 Presence 3.5 Master 3
LEAD (midgain): Gain 6 Treble 5 Bass 4.5 Mid 7 Drive 5
Presence 6 Master 5

I'm trying to find that "sweet spot" with the Output Level now!

Are most of you using the Tweed Power setting, or the Full Power?

thanks again,
Chris
One of the best guitarist ive ever heard used that same amp and sounded just like david gilmour. I thought the lead/clean blues sounds that come out of it are absolutely unrivaled, in fact right up with the mesa, but its definitely not a turn it on and crank the gain amp, like a jcm2000, or recitifier. You gotta coax it alot
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 11:25 AM

I got my Mark IV about a year ago and I've been playing it in my apartment since. However, I'm considering joining a band and would need a heavier sound to fit in that setting. After being a bit blinded by all the knobs on the front panel, I started looking at the back panel. Simply swithching to Simulclass/triode was like feeding steroids to the amp. I didn't even turn one knob in the front! I just tried D-tuning my guitar and it was instant death! Those who think Rectos are the only heavy amp from Mesa had better think again. Now if I could only get my hands on a Mesa 4x12 cab...

Amp settings are as follows:
Simulclass/triode
R1: gain 6, treble 6, presence 6, master7
R1/R2 shared: bass 5, mid 6
R2: gain 10(pulled), treble 6, precense 0, master 8
Lead(harmonics): gain 8(pulled), treble 3,5, bass 3,5, mid 4,5, precense 0, master 8

Mikael
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 11:51 AM

bduersch-

thanks for the great settings. i used them to try out a used mark iv yesterday, and they were damn good!

on the other hand, no thanks for contributing to my g.a.s. now i "need" to get one

i thought for sure this used one would be the ticket (only $700!!!!) but unfortunately, i have my heart set on the short chassis so i can start putting together a rack, such a good deal, but not the right thing
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somata
thanks for the great settings. i used them to try out a used mark iv yesterday, and they were damn good!

on the other hand, no thanks for contributing to my g.a.s. now i "need" to get one
Glad to have helped out in some form or another! I know it would've taken me months to figure out the Mark IV completely had some other people not shared their settings with me. I'll probably try out the settings above just because I'm curious. I like my tone now (although it's a bit to trebley for recording), but am always aware that there's probably a better tone available somehow.

--B

Tags
amp settings , david gilmour , distorted tone , mesa mark , scooped mids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode