MESA Rectoverb whats comparable to it??? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

MESA Rectoverb whats comparable to it???

For the tone in my head the only thing fullfilling so far is the Mesa Boogie Recto-verb.

My question is the local Guitar Center has it for $1499 which is a tad bit higher than my budget. In about 3 months I will have around $1500-2000 but I got around $600 of it already spoken for.

Now does anything compare to it, I mean its ballsy got good tone, excellent bottom end chunk, and I like it alot.

Is there something similiar to it maybe a little less expensive?

How does the Carvin Legacy do for medium to high gain settings? Does it have the chunk of a boogie?

How about the Peavey 6505?

I need a new amp desperatly..

Thanks in advance
Brett

Last edited by ibanezcollector; 06-16-2006 at 06:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 08:02 PM

Re: MESA Rectoverb whats comparable to it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector
For the tone in my head the only thing fullfilling so far is the Mesa Boogie Recto-verb.

My question is the local Guitar Center has it for $1499 which is a tad bit higher than my budget. In about 3 months I will have around $1500-2000 but I got around $600 of it already spoken for.

Now does anything compare to it, I mean its ballsy got good tone, excellent bottom end chunk, and I like it alot.

Is there something similiar to it maybe a little less expensive?

How does the Carvin Legacy do for medium to high gain settings? Does it have the chunk of a boogie?

How about the Peavey 6505?

I need a new amp desperatly..

Thanks in advance
Brett
Honestly, dude, I used to own a Rectoverb head and have been beating my head on the wall ever since I sold it. I got it so cheap on a fluke that its not so easy to buy again.

Honestly, dude those amps you mention aren't even going to come close. Go to the store and just play through one and you'll see. I've owned a Mesa Triple Recto, Mesa Dual Recto, Marshall TSL and, in my opinion, its tone destroyed them all.

Gosh I am so mad at myself everytime I remind myself that I sold it lol.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 05:03 AM

1500? go used, you'll save a few hundred...
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 09:31 PM

I have the series 1 rectoverb and it is awesome. It has the best clean of the rectos also. I like the features and tones I can get, it is alot more versatile than people give it credit for. Dollar for dollar for that style of music boogie is tough to beat.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 09:41 PM

I had a rectoverb in the studio for a while... I tried out all the recto models, and thought the rectoverb had the sweetest tone of 'em all.

Of all the Mesa-ish things I've tried, though, I've gotta say that B-52's high-end amp has a pretty sweet sound, too... they've typically got 'em at the GC's around here for about half the price of the Mesas. Perhaps not quite as tweakable as a genuine recto, but probably worth checking out.

--B
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 03:22 PM

Peavey 6505 certainly will come close (imo better) with distorted tones, but its not as versatile, slightly more mid based sounding amp, but if i remember right the circuit is simular.

Rectoverb is definately my favourite out of the recto amps though.
BigBazz is online  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 04:20 PM

you can pickup a rect-o-verb for around 900 shipped used off of the bay . I have been watching mesas for the past week because i am in the market for an amp after selling my 5150 .

the 5150(6505) has a good distortion sound and range in gain and tone is ok but no matter what you do you can tell it is still a 5150 . they are somewhat mid harsh , i am sure with the right combination of tubes and settings you can get smooth liquid style gain . It was thick and chuncky , very heavy sounding , if you like ac/dc type harsh marshall distortion then the 5150 may be your amp , aside from the cleans which suck if you have higher output pickups with a larger bass responce .

I just bought a mesa nomad 100 head myself so i'll see how that goes . if the rectoverb can get the sound of the roadking head then yeah the rectoverb is one sweet mofo of an amp .
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 08:26 PM

From what it sounds like, the 5150 IS my amp. Now please give me one.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 11:01 PM

Reviews: 6

Somebody's selling a Rectoverb Series II Head for $900 on Harmony Central. I picked up a combo 3 weeks back myself because it sounded so huge with the 3/4 back design.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 12:34 AM

I'll vouch for the guy on HC (Bob from Cincinnati)... I bought an Egnater TOL100 from him a couple years ago. Talked to him a couple weeks ago... he wanted to trade that Rectoverb head for my Mark III combo. Somedays I think I shouldn't have passed that one up. If you want it, you should probably get in touch w/ him before I change my mind again.

--B

Tags
distorted tone , distorted tones , dual recto , egnater tol , local guitar center , marshall tsl , mesa boogie , mesa dual , mesa dual recto , mesa nomad , output pickup , triple recto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode