Mesa Rectoverb25 or other... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Mesa Rectoverb25 or other...

So I am considering the Mesa Rectoverb25, it offers the type of gains and cleans I am looking for however I am also wondering if there are better options. I will be using this amp for anything from quiet home practice to garage band (really small venue) type sessions.

What I like with the Mesa:
- Switchable wattage
- Hi gains
- Fenders cleans
- Reverb
- Effects loop

Are there other options out there that offer really similar features and similar sound that I am likely not aware of?

I am open to small head cabinet solutions too and are really just looking for the best bang (tone) for buck options. Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 05:29 AM

Reviews: 13
Re: Mesa Rectoverb25 or other...

Am also interested to hear comments on this........

Could merge a lot of my amps in to one.

-Wolfram
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 05:40 AM

I ended up with an Engl Ironball when I was doing a similar search.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 08:22 PM

i love the mini recto line and have a roadking. The mini recto line to me sounds a little better because the el84 is warm and mid heavy. It does both clean and metal. I think the weak spot in the recto line is that it doesn't sound as good for the in between sounds. Every now and then i like to dial back the distortion and the recto doesn't do it for me.

I love the Engl stuff. The powerball and fireball and Ironball are all great amps. They sound similar to Mesa's recto but take a little more dialing in. That said they cover the full range of distortion very well. I love the in between tones.

I would consider the ENGL stuff myself. I am thinking about going to a Mark IV or V, maybe a lonestar, or an ENGL. I also am really digging the 5150 III.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 12:49 PM

I tried the Rectoverb 25 and really liked it. I couldn't really crank it though. But it's a cool amp.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

I am at a cross-roads, go the expensive Mesa route or instead pursue something like a Fender Mustang III V2. If the Mustang could provide a decent high-gain tone (Mesa style) then possibly it is a reasonable alternative.

Does anyone here have experience with the Mustang amp? Are they a good option or am I just dreaming?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 03:31 PM

Reviews: 59

I'd try them out for yourself. I have heard the Mustang's sound awesome a few times, but when I've plugged in, I still sounded like myself (not that awesome). Maybe with more time and tweaking....
The other thing to consider, if you got the Mustang, would you still want the Boogie? In my experience, going the cheap route always ends up with me wasting time and taking a loss as I resell the cheap thing for the expensive item I wanted in the first place. If you have the money, buy what you want. If you don't have the coin, go used or recognize that you may just be buying twice down the road.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
i love the mini recto line and have a roadking. The mini recto line to me sounds a little better because the el84 is warm and mid heavy. It does both clean and metal. I think the weak spot in the recto line is that it doesn't sound as good for the in between sounds. Every now and then i like to dial back the distortion and the recto doesn't do it for me.

I love the Engl stuff. The powerball and fireball and Ironball are all great amps. They sound similar to Mesa's recto but take a little more dialing in. That said they cover the full range of distortion very well. I love the in between tones.

I would consider the ENGL stuff myself. I am thinking about going to a Mark IV or V, maybe a lonestar, or an ENGL. I also am really digging the 5150 III.
I'm in a similar postion to j.arledge here - I've played the Mini Recto, loved it, haven't gotten a chance to sit down with a Rectoverb 25 yet, but I understand the preamps are identical. I also own a Roadster, which is voiced similarly, but not identically, to the Road King, which I also absolutely love.

First, the Rectoverb is NOT a quiet amp, especially at 25 watt mode - you can run it with the volume low, but it's not really designed to be a quiet late night practice amp. Disclaimer - I use my Roadster as a quiet, late night practice amp, so whatever.

I'd also forget terms like "Fender cleans," as while the Recto is definitely closer to a Deluxe than a JCM800, it's definitely its own beast - it has a "Rectifier clean." To my ears, that's actually not a bad thing at all - I thought the Mini Recto's clean channel kicked ass in Clean mode, and Pushed was both fun for some crunchy chording, and with a Strat would work passably well for Texas blues even at lower volumes.

While the Mini Recto will do metal, it's not as heavy as its larger bretherens. Simply, a 25 watt EL84 poweramp section sounds awesome, but it has neither the massive headroom nor the punishing low end of a 100-watt 6L6 section. For me, it was definitely a little more of a rock amp - heavy, but a little more raw and snarly than the deep chunk you associate with a Recto. Again, not a bad thing - it was a great sounding amp in Modern mode/25 watts, and I suspect it'd record fairly well.

Lower the wattage to 10 and switch to Vintage mode, however, and you have a KILLER lead sound. It's still basically the same overall character as the Vintage mode on a Rectifier, but the lower wattage sort of rounds out the high end and shifts it a little more into the midrange even at low volumes. This, a strat, the gain at maybe 1 o'clock, and a delay pedal (I think the Rectoverb has a loop while the Recto Mini does not) would be an absolutely kickass rig for a David Gilmour sort of sound.

If I didn't already own a Roadster and like the greater flexibility/switching options, I'd absolutely be lusting over a Rectoverb 25 right now. It's a killer sounding amp and at the end of the day its not like I'm doing Nevermore covers or anything.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 05:18 PM

Reviews: 13

Thanks Drew - some good commentary there, very much appreciated.

-Wolfram
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 01:02 PM

No problem, man. I REALLY liked the Mini, and the inclusion of reverb and a "normal" head shell has me very interested in grabbing one as a second jamming rig.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAD-BODY3 View Post
I am at a cross-roads, go the expensive Mesa route or instead pursue something like a Fender Mustang III V2. If the Mustang could provide a decent high-gain tone (Mesa style) then possibly it is a reasonable alternative.

Does anyone here have experience with the Mustang amp? Are they a good option or am I just dreaming?
Go with the Mesa.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 07:08 PM

I have a recto-verb 25 rack mount version which is pretty rare. Absolutely love it!

Tags
hi gain , mesa boogie , reverb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode