Mesa Studio Preamp - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Mesa Studio Preamp

Hi All,

Just wanted to know what you folks thought of the Mesa Studio preamp. I'm purchasing one shortly--so I thought I would come here to find any owners of one. Tonality wise, how does it compare to the Quad? Are they similiar? I've been a Boogie fan since I started playing back in the late 80s and use to play on one of these that a friend had hoooked up to his rack rig and from what I remember it was killer sounding. I'm thinking of purchasing the Peavey 50/50 power amp to go along with it since I won't have the cash to throw down for a Mesa power amp at the moment.

Any folks out here have one of these that they would like to share their interest about? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 11:56 PM

Reviews: 39
Re: Mesa Studio Preamp

While I have not owned a Studio pre, I have used a Quad many many times and it is more aggressive than the studio. The Quad sounds more like the Mark III than anything else id say. The Studio doesn't quite have as much gain, but comes close, you can dial in almost as much. The Quad can be a little bit thicker and more "Mark" sounding which is what it was designed to do; pretty close to the IIC+ to thick roaring III (which is what I own), and clean jazzy cleans. The Studio pre has all the beautiful cleans, but a little less gain (more close to the IIC+). Both have that Mark sharp articulation. I dont think the Studio pre can come close to the Mark IV sound though, and the Quad comes close(r). Both are fine pieces of gear with that destinctive Mesa sound.

Thats my $0.02
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 11:58 PM

Check out this link - Ceasar Huesca's rig

http://www.youtube.com/user/CesarHue...19/9BnAix3dEmc
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitvai1 View Post
Check out this link - Ceasar Huesca's rig

http://www.youtube.com/user/CesarHue...19/9BnAix3dEmc
He uses a Recto pre man. Those cost twice as much as a Studio pre and sound nothing like the Mark series. Two totally different circuits.

Last edited by SonicProvocateur; 11-11-2009 at 12:23 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Hey Sonic..thanks for filling me in on that info. So far from what I remember--I **really** liked the Mesa Pre sound. The Quad on the other hand I've never had any experience with. I've used quite alot of the 'Marks' and have pretty much loved 'em all! I think with a decent power amp I can get the Studio to sound pretty good.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 05:58 PM

Glad i could help! I dug around the interweb; this is about as much gain the Studio pre can muster if you are curious: very IIC+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4bn-5gs_Sk

That is however where it tops out at. Dont expect more gain than that. It will not deliver more brootalz. But if thats all your looking for than there you go! note: This dude is using a Mesa 50/50 so he has a little extra Mesa spice in his sound. When you are ready, I can help you EQ it out too...Mesa's are finickey creatures...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode