Metronome or drum machine - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Metronome or drum machine

Looking to buy something to play along with.

What do people think about things like the Boss DB-90 which looks prett good (youtube vid reviews and how to's etc).

Or should I look at a good drum machine.

I like the ease of a metronome to just start with but like the idea of a drum machine to programe in actual drumming to a song sounds a really good way to go.

What about computer programs, are there any that would be better than a drum machine. If I looked I'm sure I could find thousands so if you can recommend some it would be a good start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 08:57 AM

Re: Metronome or drum machine

I've used Hydrogen for Ubuntu at some point but there's binaries for Mac and Windows too. It's a Drum machine by the way

http://www.hydrogen-music.org/hcms/

You could also use Guitar Pro for the same purpose but this isn't for free
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 09:39 AM

Reviews: 59

I'd say get a metronome if you're just going to use it for practicing. Programming drum machines is tedious work and to actually do it well, it's like learning a whole new instrument. It's also more portable and allows you a bit more freedom of use not being tied to a plug. However, if your purposes are going to be for writing/recording, I would get a computer based program. You'll likely be using the computer for recording anyway.
The only reason I would buy a drum machine is if I was looking for on the fly possibilities when playing out. I wouldn't want to bring my computer for something like that due to the damage/theft possibility but a drum machine would suit for that.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

I think the Boss DB-90 sounds good then. Thanks
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 02:12 PM

free online drum machine.
http://www.onemotion.com/flash/drum-machine/
free metronome
http://www.metronomeonline.com/
this is what I use while playing at the PC.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 02:43 PM

Drum machine sounds great in theory but ends up being too tedious to program. I always ended up just using it as a metronome anyway. I've got a free metronome app for my Android these days & it works great!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

All drum machines(I guess) come with factory presets, you just choose time and signature and it'll be less boring than a metronome, nothing is more boring than a metronome.
Plus they come with some fills, it's really important to practice over drum fills cause sometimes a drum fill can give you ideas about phrases to match them.Drum fills in diferent divisions will teach you how to play phrases with different divisions
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 04:27 PM

A lot of cheap Modeling processors have both drum machines and metronomes built in so you could chose either. For example, I have a Digitech RP 350 that I got for $80 used. It has some great tones to it plus it also has a metronome and drum machine. The drum patterns are not programmable but it has about 80 to chose from. Plus it has a looper so you could record a little chord progression and then have both guitar and drums. It also has a bass modeler so you could make your guitar sound like a bass and record a bass loop and have bass and drums. It might even allow you to record a loop on top of another but I am not sure. Here is something to check out that will allow you to do all that and more for $99 new or find one used.

http://www.******.com/p/Fender_GDEC%...0Amp_-49952717

Put sam ash no space where the * is.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 07:44 PM

The next time EzDrummer goes on sale, grab it.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 05:05 PM

I would def go with a smaller all-in-one, that will set you back a couple hundred dollars but has preprogrammed drums tracks, you can record, and has a metronome.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 01:05 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post

Thanks for posting this, had a great jam with it earlier!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:03 PM

Loopers are great for this. I've used a Boss RC2 and RC3, which have drum sounds built in. Great for jamming. I use my Zoom G3 now.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:29 PM

Reviews: 2

I have both,,,,,,,,and both are great. However, I found that my first metronome with "chirps" really stunk. I just could not gel with that chirp. I since bought a Sabine metronome with a nice "wooden click." So much easier to follow and lock onto. Couldn't do that with that stupid chirp.....hated it. It's called a "Sabine zipbeat." Nice , hearty, earthly, wooden knock...........highly recommended.

Last edited by lynchfan6; 07-27-2012 at 11:35 PM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:31 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidley View Post
Loopers are great for this. I've used a Boss RC2 and RC3, which have drum sounds built in. Great for jamming. I use my Zoom G3 now.
Yes........I have an RC2 looper, and there is simply no better way to practice becoming a lead player. When my band learns a new song, and I have to learn the solo, there is nothing like playing over the chords and beat to nail it. And for becoming better at improv...forget it......there is NOTHING like a looper. I love picking a beat, throwing down some cool chord progression, and then going off into solo land for hours. I put it in the loop of my old 1990 crate G60xl............my favorite late night , around the house practice amp with a smoking high gain, sustaining lead channel......sounds absolutely amazing at low volumes.

Last edited by lynchfan6; 07-27-2012 at 11:38 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:52 PM

You guys that want to build drum tracks on a pc, but hate programming drum machines, should check out a loop based program like acid. Acid express is free and allows 9 tracks per song, so there's room for other instruments and your backing guitar recording. You don't have to program vst plugins or anything, you just find a free drum loop pack, and drag the loops out in a timeline however you want. All the other goodies are there if you want to use them, like editing loops and mixing the tracks. It's like every part of music production except for the part where you play and record each instrument. Acid Pro 4 is what I started out with years ago and it was a smooth introduction into the pc side of things, eventually I was able to jump over to full DAWs with drum machines, synth plugins etc. Not a good, mobile practice tool but thought it was worth mentioning here.

Tags
drum manchine , metronome , timing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode