Microphone for recording acoustic guitars??? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Microphone for recording acoustic guitars???

So im working on an album at home and I record all my electric guitar parts straight into the soundcard with my recording preamps, but i need to record my acoustic sounds with a microphone (maybe two).

I've been trying to record using the standard "do it all" mic SHURE SM57 but I honestly don't like it at all. The mic has very low input and I have to place it so close to the sound hole that it gets in the way with my right hand.... Whenever I'm actually able to record something the sound is weak and quite muddy. I want something that really brings out the sparkling nature of acoustic guitars, not the opposite.

Im thinking a condenser mic is in order so I thought Id ask here for suggestions on what model would suit my needs better, even if this is an electric guitar forum.

Im not on a tight budget as I know what <100 dollar mics sound like already. I'd like to move on to a better sounding mic even if it costs a few hundred bucks.

Any help appreciated!

Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 03:32 PM

Re: Microphone for recording acoustic guitars???

I'm also interested in this.

I have a hard time recording acoustics too with a 57. For loud tube amps, its great.

A condenser mic of some sort i'd assume.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 06:00 PM

I just ordred a behringer C3, I'll let you know how it is next week some time.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 06:23 PM

Reviews: 1

Large-diaphram condensers work best for acoustic.
MF has decent condensers at reasonable prices. Make sure if your mic has phantom power that your rig supports phantom or it won't work.

The trick is mic placement.

One of the most effective is to place the mic (on a boom) about 6" from where the neck meets the body -not the soundhole - and angle the head to face the soundhole. Don't move during the take - a few inches changes tone and volume.

Record flat with no EQ - once you record with EQ you can't take it out and it muddies up the final mix. Good luck.
~j
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 05:48 AM
Hub

I use a Rode nt1-a for acoustic and vocals, really nice warm sound. But the preamp is very important, sounds like you have a slightly weak preamp or something if you can't get more volume from the 57... BUT, the difference to the Rode nt-1a is enormous, it enhances the sound of the guitar, makes it better than it really is
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 09:58 AM

Reviews: 2

Definately want to use a Condenser.

I'd recommend a AKG C4000B(circa $300) for the sound hole and a Rodes NT-5(circa $3-$400 for a pair) for the fretboard. Blend as needed.

Of course if money really isn't an issue you could drop $15000 on some AKG tube mics...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 10:18 AM

Some may not believe this, but I have heard incredible acoustic recordings done with a Shure Bete87. Traditionally, its a live condenser for vocals, but it can work wonders on a decent acoustic. The trick is(with ANY mic) to put on some good headphones and move around until you find the sweet spot. The AT2020 works well too(even better with a really good preamp). The Mojave MA100 is killer but a lot more money.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 01:55 PM

got my C-3 yesterday, but I haven't really worked with it too much..it's sensitive..I did plug it up to see if it worked. I had the level up for a regular mic and scared the cat half to death
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 10:14 AM

The Behringer C-3 does sound very good with my acoustic. I still haven't done much with the vocal aspect of it, but here soon
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 12:07 PM

I use a CAD GXL 2400. It's cheap but sound good to me.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

I got two sm81's in the end. Not bad but Ive heard way better. Of course, it was anoter price range.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 03:27 PM

mxl 603s for SDC's, mxl v67g for LDC's. both are pretty darn cheap and sound great. i have gotten great results from the v67g. i am not a fan of dynamic mics on AG. i personally like 3 mics on an acoustic, but have had great results with several different types of mics.
also, look into the cascade fathead ribbon mic. i use those everywhere in my studio with great results. on guitar amps, they are godly. on AG, killer, too.

btw, did a test with my apex 460 in omni due to the fact that it is the only mic that i own that is multipattern and it was awesome. had it going into a TNC ACMP-84 to a dbx 166 into sonar and it sounded insane!
can't compare it to my ribbon tracks as i wasn't looking to shootout, but it was a great sound with little proximity effect(boomy-ness).
i had the mic positioned at the 14th fret about a foot away.

rich

Last edited by rty13ibz98; 11-15-2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: add'l info
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEr0 View Post
I got two sm81's in the end. Not bad but Ive heard way better. Of course, it was anoter price range.
good, those won't disappoint. i would have looked at a pair of peluso cem-6's or a pair of josephson c42's, but sm81's aren't bad mics.
what are you using as preamps?

rich
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 11:12 AM

i recorded this with a MXL 990 and a shure sm 57 and i think it came out really well for under $200 of mics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khu3THUoezQ
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 07:06 PM

Reviews: 4

Nice recording, purplemarek.

Dave Weiner did a Riff Of The Week on YouTube for recording acoustic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ZMChcnKck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode