MKIIC+ or MKIV? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

MKIIC+ or MKIV?

For about the same amount of money, which of these amps do you think is the best, concidered the fact that I probably will use it in the studio and not so much live. The MKIIC+ I've been testing hasen't got the graphic EQ nor the Simul Class option. Which of these amps is the better/best buy if they cost just about the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 09:32 AM

Reviews: 1
I would say based on versatility alone the Mk IV wins, but then if you are interested in collectability the IIC+ is a winner. The II has the sought after crunch that it's known for while the IV has more channel switching and tone sculpting options. For me, I would probably opt for the IV based on the aforementioned options and tone control. they are great amps.

Bamm
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 10:54 AM

I loved my Mark IIC+, but...it did one thing really well. I found that it just didn't quite cut it in a live situation, and I really didn't want to lug multiple amps to a gig. I sold it in favor of a Mark IV based solely one the versatility of the IV.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 12:20 PM

I'd also vote for the Mark IV--it sounds great and is super versatile. I know it explains somewhere in the manual "if you're looking for the Mark II sound, flip this switch, turn this knob, etc". You should be able to practically nail the II sound with the IV, plus have a lot more options at your disposal.

IMO, a Mark amp without the EQ isn't worth it. The Mark IV with the EQ is essentially a 6-channel amp.

--B
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 02:45 PM

Actually, I'm in a similar position. I have decided the dual recto is not for me... I haven't been able to try the mark IV yet, but in about a month, I'll get a chance. What are the differences tonewise between a fully loaded IIC+ and a IV? I have heard the IV is more edgy and not quite as smooth as the IIC+'s but I don't know if theres truth in this. Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks,

-Nick
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Does the MKIV sound any good with Single Coils?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Does the MKIV sound any good with Single Coils?

Yes.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

What about the MKIIC+, does it sound good with Single Coils? Will a strats sound shine through the amp? The reason for me asking is that I've only played the amp with humbucker equiped guitars.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 08:40 AM

Reviews: 1
If I were you, and I'm not, but if I were, I would bring whatever you are going to use with your amp to test it. You have a strat or whatever, bring it to demo it. You're going to be the best judge of what sounds good to you. Both amps are great, but like was stated, the IV has more options and gives you more control over your sound.

If it is an option, bring in your cab or see if you can leave a deposit to test the amp out from either place at your house/ studio whatever. Someplaces will allow it if you leave a check or credit slip for the amount of the amp.

Good luck.

Bamm
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 12:22 PM

I really see no reason for paying as much for IIC+ as for IV. The reason is, I've compared the two and I built IIC+ myself (because of simplicity). If you look at the schematics, in some of the modes IV is pretty much identical to IIC+ except for a few capacitors (which someone with soldering skills can easily replace to make it fully identical, IF you don't like them). The reason for these capacitors to be different is because IIC+ sounds like a wet fart on lead channel with Bass knob at 5 or more.

IV on the other hand is a very versatile amp that gives you a lot more in the power section. You may not need any of this (after all I enjoy playing IIC+ as is), but if you do you'll be glad you got the amp that gives you the options.

Whatever Mark you buy, make sure it comes with EVM12L speaker. Celestion sucks monkey's ass in these combos (and with heads, too).
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 12:43 PM

I think the biggest problem that people get into is having the exact gear there idols use (hmm he says posting on jemsite lol)...i think that the rarity and the fact that JP uses 3 of them skyrockets the price for what is granted a great sounding amp, but as mentioned if the mark iv can sound very close, almost identical then the only reason for getting theIIc+ is the fact to say you have one, as well as the resale value.

I reckon that a lot of people are buying them for crazy prices, then realising it doesn't sound as good as thir imagination hoped it would, thus selling it on for an even HIGHER price...someone else buys it and the cycle continues.

I mean I am totally happy with my mesa nomad, and believe i can get a very close mark sound on the 2nd channel of that. For my ears its great.

I would love to get a mark iv and try a IIc+ although i'm not a rich guitar star (yet!), so i'd rather get a great amp that will do what i need and spend my money on promoting and achieving my musical goals.

If the mark iic++ have raeched the price of a mark iv new then i would firmly suggest on principak to get a IV.

Peace

Track7

Tags
dual recto , mark iic , mesa nomad , versatile amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode