Modded DS-1's? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Modded DS-1's?

I had a WTB thread for a MIJ DS-1,but no one wants to part with one, so i decided to trawl through fleabay.
I noticed there are a few different modded models around, and was wondering if anyone has done any comparisons between the ones listed below.

Keeley
Analogman
Whizzer
MohoMods

I have read some reviews on Harmony Central with the Keeley and the Analogman, and it appears from reading these, that the wiring job inside the pedal is more professionally done on the Analogman, and the Keeley is quite messy? But what about the tonal qualitites? Is there a huge difference?

My personal preference is towards a warmer sound without it sounding too muddy. I also don't like an overly bright trebley(sp?) sound.
It would be going through a baby Marshall with an RG750 or an SZ.
Could you guys recommend which one would come closest to my needs.

P.S.Oh yeah, and for you aussie members, their is also a company in Melbourne called Pedalslam who do an Ultra mod. Does anyone own one of these? Care to give an opinion on it, please

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 11:33 PM

Re: Modded DS-1's?

most ds-1 mods out now are derivtaives of the keeley ultra/seeing eye mod mods .

i modded a ds-1 to keeley ultra specs and it made the pedal much more useful . it thickened up the sound and acted more like a mid range distortion/overdriver which is how steve vai uses his .

i liked it a lot , i had already promised it to my teacher in exchange for a few free lessons though .

I am going to do another one for myself. It is a fairly easy mod to do if your handy with a soldering iron and have a place to get the parts, also saves you a lot of cash . the keeley mod with the ds-1 is 120 i belive . i just bought a basically new ds-1 for 28 shipped and the parts cost 13 shipped . So 41$ is basically what the mod actaully costs if your do it yourself .
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

That's very interesting j.arledge.
I knew there would be some mark ups due to larbour and such, but geeze, that certainly is quite a nice markup

I don't think i would fall into the handy catergory with a soldering iron, it would be more the dangerous catergory, i think.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 11:54 PM

if you werent in Austalia I have one I could sell yeah with the popular clean boost mod.

It basically takes the distortions fuzz circuit and eliminates its leaving you with clean uncolored boost. Then it also takes the tones color shaping circuit partially out which when the tone is fully counterclockwise its pure signal uncolored but when fully clockwise its a treble booster..

I dont use it since I got the new amp and g-major.. So its sitting here with a power supply doing nothing but being used as a paper weight.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 03:25 AM

Keeley mod is the BEST !!!
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezGirl View Post
That's very interesting j.arledge.
I knew there would be some mark ups due to larbour and such, but geeze, that certainly is quite a nice markup

I don't think i would fall into the handy catergory with a soldering iron, it would be more the dangerous catergory, i think.
there is some mark up but for the most part these guys take pride in buying insanely high quality NASA grade parts. I'm sure $13 worth of parts from Radio Shack will yield better results from the pedal though.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 10:27 PM

I have a Keeley and I love it Sustain = infinity. The Vai mode is pretty cool too!

Don't know about the others, ~A
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys.
ibanezcollector, i was actually at the TC Electronics website the other day listening to the G Major. A very nice piece of equipment.

RSVampire, that maybe true about them using the best quality parts, but when you take into consideration the conversion cost for international buyers, (unless you can pickup a Keeley cheaper), i'm not so sure over $200AU is such good value for a stomp box.

Hey ~J, which one is the vai mode on the keeley?

BTW, i have found a place in Melbourne who do mods for a very reasonable price. It's a 3 way toggle mod that includes the Seeing Eye, their own mod in the middle, and the Ultra mod to the right.
The hard part is getting a cheapish Taiwanese DS-1 off the bay to get modded
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 03:43 AM

Reviews: 2

I've bought he DS-1 Sem a while ago, but stupid of me no to get the ultra version. if I'm correct it has this extra "Fat" toggle switch, maybe that's the Vai-mode JJEMMER777 is talking about.

j.arledge: is it hard to add this fat-mode to a Sem version ? coul you help me out on this, I've done some soldering work, if I know the parts and howto, I think I can manage. Would be great I'm pretty exited to start doing own mods, but I'm a total newbie when it comes to "what kind of capacitor or resistor etc... have what kind of effect on the sound".

I've ended up not using the DS-1 sem because, a bit of a shame no ? I still found it sounding too sterile, or I am not using it correctly. Do you guys use it as a distortion on a clean channel or to push/color a crunch/lead channel ?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 05:03 AM

I got a Keeley DS-1 with the switch, whether its the fat mod, ultra mod or seeing eye mod I cant remember. Im quite happy with it though, infinatly better then my previos DS-1s which honestly sounded terrible but I kept buying and selling them cause I always thought "well maybe that one was bad.. or maybe I should try a Japanese one... or maybe it will sound good with my current amp"

I run it before (ie not in the loop) the amp on the clean channel... sounds good but not perfect... In my opinion theres no substitute for actually generating the tone you want straight from the amp.. but thats not always possible
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 06:56 AM

I have a keeley - its great !
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezGirl View Post
Hey ~J, which one is the vai mode on the keeley?
It's the toggle switch on the ultra that pmike was referring to

I actually prefer it in the "UN" Vai mode. Thew Vai mode is a little crazy, but it's still cool for certain crazy noises, etc. The Keeley is a great boost and sustain....just don't get addicted to watching the LED blink along with what your playing
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Hehehe!! I'll remember that about the blinking LED if i decide to go with a keeley.

On the subject of Keeley's, could those that have one please check out the samples below and let me know how much of a difference there is between the two.

http://www.pedalslam.com/html/boss_ds-1.html
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 05:01 PM

imo, the better DS-1 mods are from:
monte allums, analogman, and indyguitarist (no particular order)

chekc out their clips..

i believe Mr. Vai is using an Analogman DS-1 currently.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikm5150 View Post
i believe Mr. Vai is using an Analogman DS-1 currently.
Can't be true...

Tags
distortion pedal , gain knob , keeley mod , local music store , modded marshall , music store , steve vai , stomp box , toggle switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode