Which modelling/hybrid technology? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Which modelling/hybrid technology?

Just curious to hear your opinions. I know nothing beats tubes, but for those of us without the budget or need for power, what is your favourite alternative?

Line6, Behringer, Tubefusion, Transtube, Valvestate, and the others I forget... All variations included: FX units, direct recording, amps, rack-mount units...

Which one has impressed you (all things considered)? I'm talking decent tones and versatility at bedroom volumes, good recording tones, responsiveness, dynamics and value.

Oh, and happy 2006!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 03:23 AM

Re: Which modelling/hybrid technology?

Well i liked the Marshall AVT 150H, it sounded pretty cool at the time :P
The effects were good, and i got a decent sound out of it.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 05:18 PM

Sorry to say it, but when I took my tube amp to the studio, it made the AVT's sound really horrible. People were thinking there was something wrong with the AVT, it's that much of a difference. So look for a good second hand tube amp, you'll be glad you did.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

I know, I know, there's nothing like tubes and sooner or later I'll get a tube amp.

For now my GAS is under control, I'm not looking for new gear. I just want to hear opinions, for the hell of it.

Anyone?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 11:32 PM

A solid state half stack (Randall RH200G2, Marshall MG100HDFX, B-52 LG-100A, Ibanez TB100H Tone Blaster) with a guitar processor (BOSS GT-8, Digitech GNX3000) sent to the effects loop is the way to go. All things considered.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 11:39 PM

For a hybrid amp, nothing beats a Laney Tube Fusion.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 07:32 AM

For modelling: Yamaha DG, Tech21 GT2/Trademark 10 (personal experience), and I heard good things about the Roger Linn amp sims (Adrenalinn and M-audio black box) and the Rocktron Replitone.

Both the Yamaha (I only tried the preamps) and Tech 21 were very responsive and provided some good general jazz/blues/fusion/classic rock tones, and the Tech21 ofered some nice hig-gain tones as well.

I do not like what I heard from the Digitech units, although some people can make them sound very good. VOX Valvetronix was above average, and the Behringer not too bad either (definately a good value). I haven't tried many Line6 products, I just remembered not liking the Spider very much...
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 09:09 AM

Ive tried different things for bedroom volume practicing so far:

Boss VF-1 guitar multi fx w/ COSM amp modeling (9,5 " rack mount)

Behringer V-Amp 2 into stereo

Roland Micro-Cube

Tech21 Trademark 10

The Boss VF-1 and Behringer V-Amp cant be beat in terms of versatility and ease of recording - I still have both and they sound ok plugged right into my USB recording interface.
The VF-1 wins hands down in terms of FX quality. It might not be up to a T.C. Electronic G-Force, but certainly much better than the built in FX in the V-Amp. You also have more control regarding FX parameters and can change the order of all effects.
The COSM amp models are on par with the V-Amp... BUT you cannot change cabinets on the Boss unit, and only set gain to low-medium-high... a major letdown IMO.
For the quality of the amp-modeling alone, I would choose the V-Amp between the two. Taking FX into account, Id say its a draw. But then, the V-Amp is much cheaper...

Then... the Microcube.
I thought it would be funny to have a battery-powered amp that can do it all... but, both being COSM amp modelers, the Cube seemed like a very stripped-down version of the VF1, with a harsh sounding speaker added. Nice toy to bring along for a BBQ, but nothing compared to the...

...Trademark 10:

Well, I got mine used. At first I did not like it so much because it did not have enough sustain for fluid metal lead guitar... this gets much better if you crank it, but you cant imagine how loud this 10W-thing can be!
Also, the one I got made rattling noises, thats why I sold it again.

For anything from Roland JC-120 cleans to classic marshall crunch and Rectifier-like chugga-chugga rhythm, the Trademark delivered by far the best tones out of these practice solutions... and I guess that with a delay in the serial FX loop and a TS or something else for a lead boost in front, this would be everything you need. I think I might get another one, but without the rattle!

So, either Trademark 10 (+ pedals for some more versatility), or V-Amp if youre on a budget!

Cheers,
Carsten
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 10:05 AM

i had a tech 21 10 watt amp for awhile.......its a sweet practice amp....and it has a effects loop too
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 11:56 AM

I have a VOX AD50VT right now as my practice amp. It doesn't have an effects loop, because it had built in modelling effects. The AD50VT's effects: Reverb, Chorus, Delay, Flanger, Phaser, Tremelo, Auto Wah, Compression, and Rotary. Soon I'll be getting either an Ibanez Toneblaster half stack with a BOSS GT-8 effects processor, or a Randall RH200G2 half stack with a BOSS GT-8 effects processor. Mix modelling and hybrid together and you get the best of both worlds (e.g. VOX AD50VT).
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 12:50 PM

I haven't tried many of the newer things - Zoom G2, Digitech's stuff, POD stuff newer tha 2.0, Vox's stuff. Many of those are well reveiwed. But I like the V-Amp2 for its flexibility for practicing, the Yamaha DG for it's bluesy tones & ease of setup/use, and the SansAmp PSA-1 for many of its models (as a pure amp sim, I think it's still the best, and it's 15 years old!). I didn't care as much for the early PODs or the Johnson.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 03:56 PM

Reviews: 6

Best value in a modeller: Behringer V-AMP PRO $170 new
Best value in a modelling combo: Vox AD50VT $360 new
Best value in a hybrid or solid state head: Fender Roc-Pro 1000 $250 used (including shipping and footswitch)
Best value in a modelling head: Johnson Millenium 250 HD $450 used (including shipping and J3 footswitch)

Best sounding modeller: Vox ToneLab $300 new
Best sounding modelling combo: Line 6 VETTA II $1,700 new
Best sounding hybrid or solid state head: ?
Best sounding modelling head: Line 6 VETTA II $1,700 new
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotechnology
Best value in a modelling combo: Vox AD50VT $360 new
The Vox AD50VT is a hybrid and modelling amp. It has a 12AX7 dual-triode valve in it. That's why it's called a "Valvetronix" amp. Check out the AD50VT's Inside Story
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1981
Sorry to say it, but when I took my tube amp to the studio, it made the AVT's sound really horrible. People were thinking there was something wrong with the AVT, it's that much of a difference. So look for a good second hand tube amp, you'll be glad you did.
Right on. Well then again, pretty much any tube amp completely puts an AVT to shame. Even the old valvestate Marshalls put the AVTs to shame.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 11:49 AM

Reviews: 6

When I said hybrid, I was thinking about it the traditional way:

Tube Preamp
Solid State Power Amp section

Valvetronix is the opposite.
-----
Also, I haven't used my AD50VT for recording but, I have for live use. EVERY time I've received a compliment on my tone.

Tags
amp modeler , clean tone , johnson millenium , marshall avt , marshall valvestate , power amp , practice amp , sansamp psa , solid state head , solid state power amp , tube amp , tube amps , tube head , tube preamp , valve amps , vox tonelab , vox valvetronix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode