Monster cable choices - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Monster cable choices

Is there a noticeable difference between the 100 series cables and the 500 series? Other than the price of course
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 08:14 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
save your money and buy the ones that cost less... glen
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 08:48 PM

Yeah, from what ive heard the difference is negligible. I've been using the Monster Standard 100 series cables for years now, and they're absolutely fine. They sport great shielding and have the same lifetime Monster guarantee.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 01:51 PM

The difference between monster and any other cable of the same length is pretty damn negligable. Id save my money all together. I dont care what anyone says. Theres only 1 thing that makes Monster cable worth it. It aint sound and it aint quality. It is the unlimited lifetime warrenty. If ever your cable breaks or is faulty, bring it to a dealer and get a new one. Period.

As far as Im concerned the topic of which high end cable sounds the best is moot. As long as theres, at the minimum, a decent quality to materials and construction, I doubt that 95% of the people here could tell the difference. What I get more concerned with is how well it stands up to use & abuse.

This topic always resurfaces. Is monster cable worth it? Is the better monster cable worth the extra $$$? I used to use monster cable for the one reason I stated. I thought it was great that you can just go and get a new one no questions asked. And I did. Pleny of times. Which became my problem. Monster cable doesnt last very long under demanding conditions. It just became annoying. Then I got into George L's. I bought 100' length 4 years ago with 10 tips and I havent had a problem since. GL's has a much better "built in" warranty. That is if the tip breaks, just take the tip off, cut the cable an inch back, and put a new one on for a total cost of 5$. Its simple. You can do it right at a gig. If the cable breaks at a gig, itll take you 30 seconds to repair if you brought an extra tip. If you believe gold tips make any kind of difference you can buy the gold tips for 6$ instead of the plain or nickel ones for 4$. Ive rarely needed to do that though. Unlike the monster, which lasted an average of about 8 months per cable, my 4 GL's are still here. Its also comforting that Guitar Player and Eric Johnson think it sounds the best also. For a total cost of about 25$ per cable.

My advice is the same as Glen and Guitarlos2's.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 03:57 PM

Problem is, I've never found an online dealer for George L's... MF does pre-cut cables, but half the fun is cutting your own, and their selection of ends is lame.

-D
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 07:04 PM

Musictoyz.com

They sell everything George L. And on top of that, is cheaper then ordering direct.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 12:30 PM

I like Monster Cables a lot and, in-fact, there are differences but if you're not such a critical listener you probably won't pick up on them so it may be a good idea to save your money. However, if you have ears like Eric Johnson (who is rumored to be able to hear the difference between brands of alkaline batteries used in stompboxes) and you can instantly pick up on this kind of thing-then go for it.

If you're interested, my favorite non-Monster cables are Spectraflex or the ProCo "Guardian" series (models "Defender' and 'Sir Tweed'). DiMarzio makes a nice cable, too.

Mike 777 Haug
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 07:53 AM

Re: Monster cable choices

http://www.procosound.com/instrument.htm
LineCable instrument cables utilize a unique construction process to seal inner conductors along with the solder connection, in an inert plastic resin. The cable is reinforced with two layers of thermal compression sleeving for protection.

I have the LineCable.....sounds great (alot times better than the standard cable that came with my Ibanez) doesn't seem to break , not alot of noise. Pretty good! Costed me about 25 euro's so not really expensive either.
Does anyone know what "Shield lifted at Instrument and tied at Amp for Lower Noise" means though? The cable has 2 different sides , one for the amp and the other for the guitar.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 08:24 AM

Have you read the Monster Jerks thread? If you don't like corporate thuggery, you might find it interesting.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 08:28 AM
rgr

There is not a good Monster Cable Choice: http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32717.

-R

Tags
eric johnson , monster cable

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode