A more "Gilberty" tone - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

A more "Gilberty" tone

Ok, I wasn't a fan of PG's tone in the studio (nice but nothing special..) but I downloaded a video of him doing a video in Seoul Korea and WOW I love that tone! He's playing the new model with a natural wood finish and no floyd. I have a Mesa Mark IV Combo and a Rivera TBR-1SL (still original tubes, dont have a Rivera cab yet.. almost have the money for the cab!) and I was wondering if his tone comes more from his Laney amp or from his pickups? I've never played Tone Zone pickups so I don't know if that sound is typical of them or the amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 07:00 AM

as far as i know, the Tone Zone will give you the bone of that tone.
i got it in a couple my guitars, i play them thru anything and i can get really close to that tone. well, i miss those fingers though...

a couple tricks: feed up mids, pick the strings with a very large part of the pick and play a long intense vibrato. this will make you sound very 'Gilberty'.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 01:21 PM

Man, I still have yet to get a copy of any of the solo CD's but I also rememer the earlier Mr. Big stuff also being very "chorusy".

Mike 777 Haug
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 04:15 PM

I think Paul has used a lot of different tones in his carrer. Just listen to his solo stuff... It's a completely different kinda tone that he used to use with Racer X or Mr. Big, that IMO sucked (Don't get me wrong, I'm one of those sick PG fans). By the way, there are some parts in his Terrifying Guitar Trip video that he plays with GREAT tone. I have a RG570 w/ a Tone Zone in the Bridge and I can guarantee that my tone sounds nothing like the one in the Seoul Guitar Clinic... I hate that tone as well
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 04:27 PM
EKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike777
Man, I still have yet to get a copy of any of the solo CD's but I also rememer the earlier Mr. Big stuff also being very "chorusy".

Mike 777 Haug
His solo stuff is a billion times better than Mr. Big.

Paul's current tone can be obtained close enough with a TZ in the bridge position. Although, his Laney's have tons of gain, you don't need to use that much. A lot of his tone is in his picking attack, fretting style and vibrato ;-)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 06:08 PM

I think I'm getting ready to replace the bridge PAF Pro in one of my 570's with a TZ. I love the PAF in the neck but I've really had it with the one in the bridge position. I want something more comfy for speedpickin'.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Excellent I was hoping that it was a pickup thing and not amp. My beater guitar is a slightly trashed but very modded Epiphone Les Paul and I'm at the point now where when I jam around, it really holds me back. I need another beater guitar now (something cheap, a ltitle dinged up, but would be great with some TLC) and I'm thinking about looking for an old RG570 and swapping the pups.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 01:34 PM

at the korea clinic he was using laney distortion and an ibanez tubscreamer, if i remember right. although it was in a different clinic, you can see a pic of it in his guitar case here-->

http://www.fancymusic.com/pg2.htm

Tags
bridge position , epiphone les paul , les paul , mesa mark , paf pro , rivera tbr , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode