Most harmonic-full amp? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Most harmonic-full amp?

I like a nice harmonic rich tone, and looking for a very harmonic friendly amp.

any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 10:57 AM

Re: Most harmonic-full amp?

Not quite sure what you mean by that.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Well, i mean, like.. erm

great response to harmonics?? Some one should have a fair idea of what i mean!!!!!
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 12:17 PM

I've played crappy solid state amps that get hard core harmonics very easily so I'm not really sure what you are wanting to find out. I would say any amp that is capable of high gain but your axe must be intonated correctly and have decent pups to get good hamonics. not sure if this is what you are talking about......
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 12:24 PM

Just what I was going to say bones

High gain + proper intonation = squeaky harmonics

Just make sure your technique is good too, I can get decent artifical harmonics out of my nephews 1/2 size spanish guitar.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 12:27 PM

Check out Komet amps, especially the Concorde..... No, it's not your typical multi-channel amp, just "old school" technology. It's an amp that has to be "played" or "milked"..... very touch sensitive and responsive to both player touch and guitar volume. These amps are loud though.

Here's some Youtube clips.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB76UqCYxgs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgKPwtcey_s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKkFb5HQwxo

All this guy is using is a hotplate to tame the volume.

Komets have great harmonics and pure amp tone. However, If you're looking for that "chainsaw" tone or the typical "chunka ckunka chunka"...... not gonna find it in a Komet.

These amps keep the natural guitar tone coming through even when opened up to get those "harmonics" you're looking for. They are not a "forgiving" amp either.... if you're a sloppy player it's going to let you know along with anyone in ear shot!
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

A great example of what im looking to sound like is this:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/audio/s...er/Track61.mp3
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Dee

That's quite middy. Bump up the mids on whatever amp you're using. Maybe try a pickup such as a Fred. Plenty of amps are capable of that kind of sound. To me, it sounds like it's in the pickup and the EQing, mainly.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. but im sure theres an amp that has a really good response to harmonics, and dynamics.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Dee

Yeah, generally very good tube amps are the best for this, from my experience. I used to have a nice Marshall 100W head that was very harmonically rich. I haven't had the same effect from any solid state amp.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

What model was it?
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 06:39 PM

I prefer Mesa's. Tube amps are far more dynamic than solid state and far more 3-D (depth).

The JCM800 series seems to be popular with Marshall guys as well as the DSL and TSL's. I'm not as familiar with the Marshall stuff myself as the Mesa - just my personal preference.

EQ, pickups and proper intonation should enable you to get rich harmonics from most any good tube amp. Just my 2cents.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
Just what I was going to say bones

High gain + proper intonation = squeaky harmonics

Just make sure your technique is good too, I can get decent artifical harmonics out of my nephews 1/2 size spanish guitar.
I don't think he necessarily means pinch harmonics, rather just harmonics in general in the tone.

As Dee said, tube amps are definitely the way to go if you're looking for a harmonically rich tone.

If you're looking for the whole hot-rodded Marshall sound (Van Halen, George Lynch, early Vai, etc...), a Splawn Quickrod is the way to go definitely. If you like more modern metal (or you just like the Mesa voicing in general...not as raspy at the EL34 driven Marshalls for most cases) I'd go with a Mesa (some Mesas, such as the Mark series or the Lonestar, can do the whole clean/blues thing really well too).

Last edited by waylay00; 10-17-2007 at 06:44 PM.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 06:41 PM

Overtones or actual harmonics? Harmonically rich is a phrase that sounds like it means "3-D" with lots of brilliance or "life" to the tone but I must be missing something.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 06:46 PM

I was under the impression that the OP was referring to overtones (also considering that there are no pinch harmonics in the clip he linked to).

Tags
amp tone , bbe sonic , bbe sonic maximiser , bbe sonic maximizer , chorus pedal , pinch harmonics , solid state amp , solid state amps , sonic maximiser , sonic maximizer , tube amp , tube amps , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode