Mp3PRO Encoding - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Mp3PRO Encoding

Does anyone know a program that can convert regular Wave files to mp3PRO format, other than those plugins you get to use with regular audio converting programs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 04:05 PM

if you get Cool Edit pro...there should be a plugin that allows you to convert to mp3.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 07:07 AM

Whatever you get, make sure it's a Fraunhofer encoder. It was the original set of algorithms, and it's still the best.
And shut down as many other app's running as you can, this will result in more accurate MP3's (less "whooshyness").
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doink
Whatever you get, make sure it's a Fraunhofer encoder. It was the original set of algorithms, and it's still the best.
And shut down as many other app's running as you can, this will result in more accurate MP3's (less "whooshyness").
The majority of MP3 geeks I've read disagree with you and think LAME is currently the best MP3 encoder. But this is for MP3, not MP3PRO. As for Pro, I dunno - I never use it. Other apps running should not affect accuracy, only encoding time.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 11:27 PM

I use LAME and it's great. I don't like mp3PRO because you have to have a plugin for winamp for it to sound good, and I don't like using anything but windows media player (can't live without those SRS effects ) LAME seems to work for every application I've needed it for.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 01:52 PM

Name a program ?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 03:17 PM

http://www.lorenzini.com/jlorenzi/encoder.html

My comp's having a hell of a time finding the page, so it may be either temporarily or currently down, but either on this page or linked off it is a test these guys did, using some sort of analysis software to measure the sonic degradation a number of different encoders imparted on a sound clip. They concluded that below 128kbs Fraunhofer is ptobably your best bet, but over it Lame takes precidence, and that Lame @256kbs was the most accurate encoding rate of any of the four or so encoders they tried, even surpassing its own performance at higher bitrates.

I post over at www.guitarwar.com and usually encode in both goldwave and tob fantastic, and A/B the versions. Rob's usually better at low bitrates than goldwave armed with the lame.dll plugin, but sometimes the way lame distorts a sound at lower settings actually works better with the particular tune than the way the fraunhofer does.

Mp3.com's decision to allow premium members to upload 192kbs mp3's is stupid- fraunhofer doesn't go that high, i believe, and sounds increasingly harsh at higher bitrates anyway if it does, and the difference between a lame-encoded mp3 @ 128 and 192 is negligable- it's a marketing gimick, essentially, and a pretty bad one at that. From their perspective, it makes even less sense- they're allowing people to upload mp3's that are 50% larger than "standard" 128kbs. switching to 256k would only take 25% more storage space, and would actually give a notable increase in sound quality- there's MUCH less distortion to the high end, particularly audible on the cymbols. I've got a pretty good ear for this stuff, and even I wouldn't want to try to discern .wav from 256kbs mp3 with anything important on the line- you get faint high end distortion and what sounds like a slight narrowing of the stereo spectrum, but we're talking subtle, easily within the "am i imagining this?" limits.

Mp3PRO has a lot of potential as a low-bitrate mp3 encoder, but by the time you get up to 80kbs or so, the difference between a mp3pro mp3 and a regular one begins to fall off substantially. Below that threshold, the mp3pro sounds like it's approximately double the bitrate it is. Above it, it gets less and less noticeable, until by 128kbs there's very little real difference. If the codec ever becomes widely available as a decoder (winamp 2.x didn't have it stock, but there were downloadable plugins for it last i checked- i've got one if you need it, for decoding but not encoding. Encoders, i don't think, never made it to shareware or freeware. I believe there's no native support from winamp 3.x either, but probably a plugin if you're willing to take the time to download it. Problem is, most casual users won't) then it would definately be worth pursuing, if you do a lot of lo-fi work. However, for high-fidelity mp3 encoding (no laughs, please ), lame is still probably the best bet.

Moral of this post, for anyone too lazy to read it? lame.dll @ 256kbs stereo.

-D
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 03:46 PM

I use Lame at 320k/sec, 48000hz in Goldwave when encoding/re-encoding things, but when ripping CDs, I'm still looking for something (I like having most of my CD collection in my laptop so I have things to listen to while at school).
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
I use Lame at 320k/sec, 48000hz in Goldwave when encoding/re-encoding things, but when ripping CDs, I'm still looking for something (I like having most of my CD collection in my laptop so I have things to listen to while at school).
CDex works great for me. Has CDDB look ups and everything built in. And it's open source.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 07:15 PM

The LAME extreme setting keeps files around 200k and sounds great to me. I can't hear a difference between that and 256k CBR OR 320k CBR. CBR is just wasted bandwidth at this level, IMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode