From Multi-effects to pedals.... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

From Multi-effects to pedals....

Hey guys,

Last year I was using a stompbox setup, pretty basic, Vox Satchurator, Boss DS-1, Boss CE-5 and Vox Time Machine delay....

I switched to a Line 6 POD HD500 this year but have decided its not my kinda thing so am keen to head back towards pedals....

I use mainly RG's and JS series guitars through a JSX head into a 5150 Cab. Am looking to get a new Delay, Chorus and maybe a couple of good overdrives/distortions..... am keen to hear your thoughts on the following (or any other suggestions you may have!)

Already have a Dunlop Wylde Wah but keen on....

Rocktron Deep Blue, Tsunami or the new Reaction Pedals? (I run in mono btw)

Whats a good delay, tap tempo, not too digital... Boss DD series is all i have experience with....

and some good overdrives..... we play covers gigs, Tool, System Of A Down, Rage Against The Machine, etc.....and 7 String originals (kinda Alice in Chains-ish) so a good all rounder would be great.....

Cheers for the help guys!

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 07:08 PM

Re: From Multi-effects to pedals....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean777 View Post
Whats a good delay, tap tempo, not too digital... Boss DD series is all i have experience with....

If you want only one of the best...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electro-Harm...item3f1b4b2a8a

That's one of the best analog delays ever...

Quote:
and some good overdrives..... we play covers gigs, Tool, System Of A Down, Rage Against The Machine, etc.....and 7 String originals (kinda Alice in Chains-ish) so a good all rounder would be great.....

There are a lot, starting from
- BB preamp from xotic
- Timmy
- Wampler got a nice selection of awesome overdrive/distortions (check his plextortion, pinnacle, triple wreck, slostortion... )
- Fulltone OCD (works great for pushing amps).

Anyway... How much do you want to spend? I mean, if you tell me you want to spend 100, I would say "stay with cheap multieffects".
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 11:08 PM

Reviews: 4

As far as ODs go, I was going to mention the OCD, like Tungisul did. I would also recommend the Way-Huge Pork Loin if your budget can handle it. Tubescremers are also a mainstay, I hear the Maxon's are good. DS-1s are actually necessary for a few different sounds, you may want to look into that in addition to a normal OD.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Cheers guys.... Price wise id say I'm happy to spend say $300 US per pedal?.... I have in the past been quite happy with a Boss DS-1 and CE-5.... But keen to try new things..... Any thoughts on the Rocktron stuff?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:25 AM

Reviews: 13

Try the Green Rhino OD Pedal. I have found it to be very versatile with just enough dials to be useful but not too many to need a Doctrate to operate.

I have been using the Line 6 delay and have also found that to be very versatile. It does take up a lot of space on the pedal board though.

Be careful though.....pedals are addictive and you may end up spending a lot of time and money to get the right one(s).

-Wolfram
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

cheers mate..... i didnt really like the delay on the POD HD500.... im guessing it would be the same as the Line 6 Delay?..... the Vox Time Machine is my favourite so far so anything in that style might suit me.... dont mind the Boss ones either for the price.....
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 03:39 PM

Reviews: 13

Boss do make some fine pedals - some will disagree. But for the money and what you get I think they are fine.

I am not sure about the Line 6 delay and if it uses the same processor or internals as a HD500, anybody able to shed some light on that question?

-Wolfram
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:00 PM

For delays, I hear a lot of good things about the MXR Carbon copy and the TC Electronic Flashback Delay. For overdrive, the Maxon stuff sound very nice. Dave Weiner has a whole video showing a bunch of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak_nWBdEMhg

I guess having a DS-1 and a Tube Screamer is kinda mandatory though
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I still love modded SD-1 pedals.
I like several others, too.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-sfm View Post
For delays, I hear a lot of good things about the MXR Carbon copy and the TC Electronic Flashback Delay. For overdrive, the Maxon stuff sound very nice. Dave Weiner has a whole video showing a bunch of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak_nWBdEMhg

I guess having a DS-1 and a Tube Screamer is kinda mandatory though
Hmm..........Coooooooopacabaaaana princezinha do marrrrrr!.......................
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 01:21 PM

What are you looking to get out of the OD pedal?

Are you using any distortion from your JSX or do you just run it clean and get the OD/Dist from the pedal?

I have TS9DX and xotic AC plus.. Which I use with my Mesa Boogie Triple rec (2 channel) head... Most of the drive/distortition is come from the head the dirt from the TS9DX and AC plus is just to push the amp and some extar boost for solos.

The signal goes from guitar -> ACplus->TS9DX in to the head... The AC plus is cool b/c you have 2 independant boosts so to speak which can either push your amp or whatever you place after it in the chain...

I also have a Boss Re-20 space echo twin pedal which I LOVE... I also heard good things about the giga delay from boss..

Good luck!!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apadua View Post
What are you looking to get out of the OD pedal?

Are you using any distortion from your JSX or do you just run it clean and get the OD/Dist from the pedal?

I have TS9DX and xotic AC plus.. Which I use with my Mesa Boogie Triple rec (2 channel) head... Most of the drive/distortition is come from the head the dirt from the TS9DX and AC plus is just to push the amp and some extar boost for solos.

The signal goes from guitar -> ACplus->TS9DX in to the head... The AC plus is cool b/c you have 2 independant boosts so to speak which can either push your amp or whatever you place after it in the chain...

I also have a Boss Re-20 space echo twin pedal which I LOVE... I also heard good things about the giga delay from boss..

Good luck!!
Cheers for all the suggestions guys.....

Gain wise I guess im after..
1) a pedal that can replace my amps gain, so I can run it on the clean channel and if I need a boost for solos I can click on ax extra OD

2) This extra OD would also have to be able to be used as a boost for my amps gain channel so it has dual functions....

3) would be nice if the OD could also be used on its own as a crunch pedal.

In reality I will be using my amps gain pretty much 99% of the time and wont use either a distortion or OD pedal.... HOWEVER... from time to time it would be nice to kick in some kind of tube screamer sort of boost during a solo (rather than going to the lead channel of my amp) and if I was using someone else's rig, I would like to be able to just utilize their clean channel and have my various gain stages at my feet...

Hope this explains it?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Cheers for all the suggestions guys.....

In reality I will be using my amps gain pretty much 99% of the time and wont use either a distortion or OD pedal.... HOWEVER... from time to time it would be nice to kick in some kind of tube screamer sort of boost during a solo (rather than going to the lead channel of my amp) and if I was using someone else's rig, I would like to be able to just utilize their clean channel and have my various gain stages at my feet...

Hope this explains it?
Sounds like all you really need is OD and a boost... when I run that same setup on my Epiphone valve jr. (practicing at home) I just simply turn up the drive on the TS....

Seriously you should check out the AC plus from xotic effects.. There are a bunch of good videos on youtube here is a link

http://www.xotic.us/effects/ac_plus/

Also, I use to use a boss EQ for a boost as well... It is not 100% clean but you can definitley shape your lead tone to cut through the mix when performing with a band.

Last edited by apadua; 08-23-2012 at 04:13 PM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apadua View Post
Sounds like all you really need is OD and a boost... when I run that same setup on my Epiphone valve jr. (practicing at home) I just simply turn up the drive on the TS....

Seriously you should check out the AC plus from xotic effects.. There are a bunch of good videos on youtube here is a link

http://www.xotic.us/effects/ac_plus/

Also, I use to use a boss EQ for a boost as well... It is not 100% clean but you can definitley shape your lead tone to cut through the mix when performing with a band.

Cheers!..... Yeah u se to use a GE-7 too.... Eq set flat and just as a volume boost.... I had a Satchurator which I hardly ever used, and an Ice 9 which I used a bit more often.... Swapped the Satchurator for a DS-1.....

Does modding a DS-1 really make a big difference?,..... Here's my problem with the DS-1..... I would set my clean channel to the right volume for clean playing and when I hit the DS-1 even on full volume the pedal was too quiet.... It needed to be louder....
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

You're describing the need for two pedals.
You might want to consider a Jemini.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode