Multi effects or stomp boxes? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 20
Multi effects or stomp boxes?

I'm sure this question is very common, but I can't help getting ur opinion once more on it :P.
I'm struggling to get THE sound if u no wat i mean- It sounds like a distorted guitar, but I'm either worried I've got too much distortion on or it sounds weak. First- which is best for sound? Multi effects or stomp boxes? ME-50 has some stomp boxes on them- how do they compare to the real thing?
Second- what settings do you have ur distortion on? I primarily use EMG's or Dimarzio Air Classic (very different yet both equally as good in their own right.)
Thanks for your time dudes and dudettes
Regards
Jonny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 02:32 PM

Re: Multi effects or stomp boxes?

It depends on your budget. If you've got loads of money then go for proper tube amp and individual fx or a fancy rack system. If your on a more meagre budget then multi fx are more fx for your money.

I have a GT8, good sounds, every effect going for about £260. Or you go for a Podxt Live or Digitech for similar money
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 02:38 PM

i prefer stomp boxes. I found all THE sounds in my JSX. Amount of dist depends on the situation and what stuff you are running so there is no straight answer to dist settings.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 03:07 PM

Reviews: 3

I haven't played stomp boxes in 25 years so I can't help with that.

Currently I've got a 3TM Ultra modded ADA MP-1 for distortion and an Axe-FX Ultra for effects. Great combo. If money is NOT an object, get an Axe-FX. It will cover EVERY effect/distortion/amp/cab you need. period.

If money is an issue you could get a distortion stomp and a cheaper multi effects like Rocktron Intellifex, Xpression or TC G-Major
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Do stomp boxes and Multi FX pedals have the same distortion quality as far as clarity etc goes? Sorry if I sound nooby lol.
Regards
Jonny
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 04:14 PM

You can get a great sound with stomp boxes, but they are noisy as hell. There comes a point when you're volume is all the way down and you hear a loud "pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

I guess that's the disadvantage with them as opposed to a multi-fx rack unit.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 05:05 PM

the gt-8 has some very good effects on it for the money. digitech's digital FX have always sounded terrible to me. but the gt-8's stuff is pretty good. yeah./ some effects are terrible and worthless. like the octave is worthless on the gt-8 that's why i'm probably buying the boss OC-3. but the chorus, delay, flanger, slicer, phaser, tremolo, reverb, and wah's sound SO real. jsut try them out. and other effects that i never use sound great to. the distortions ain't bad either
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 06:32 PM

It really depends on what quality of stomp boxes and mutli effects boxes you are talking about... thera are good ones and there are bad ones for both.

for an analog stomp box dist pedal, try a MI audio crunch box, or a zvex box of rock, or an okko diablo. there a a ton of good analog distortion pedals put there from small builders.
the thing with individual stomps is that it can get expensive real fast.

for a digital multi effects unit, i hear lots of good things about the tonelab LE, or you could go with a digitech GNX and get the MFX supermodels upgrade.
the Axe-FX is probably the best digital modeler/multi effects unit out there, but it i sout of most people's budgets

Also, what amp and speakers/cab are you using? that has a lot of influence on the sound.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for delay, I'm using a peavey valveking head w/ valveking stack and boss ME-50, the distortion sound I get is either too fat/fuzzy or too metallic- cud this be the tubes?
Regards
Jonny
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 10:55 AM

Buy a multi effect stompbox!!!

Damage Control Glass Nexus... midi control is also available with it!
Sound really interesting and not as expensive than a rack...

Tags
dimarzio air , distortion pedal , peavey valveking , rack system , rocktron intellifex , stomp box , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode