Multieffects vs Pedels vs Amp for shred - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Multieffects vs Pedels vs Amp for shred

I have just got an Ibanez Jem to get back to my shred days and need a new rig to accomadate. I want to use as much of my current gear as I can to keep the cost down which includes:

Amps: 73 Marshall Superlead, 65 Vox AC30 TB, 72 Holden NZ made plexi/Blackface KT88 thing.

All of my amps are nonmaster volume point to point simple tone machines with no effects loop. I love the sound of my Jem through the Marshall with a clean boost but due to no effects loop I can only have my wah and phase 90 for effects when I really want delay and reverb. The current tools at my disposal are

Effects/Tools: THD Hotplate, Marshall power brake, TC electronic line/booster (clean boost), Hotcake OD pedal, RMC3LM wah, MXR Phase 90, Boss eq, Boss line selector.

I guess I have 3 options

Option 1) Buy a delay stomp box and better dist stomp box pedal and use it through the Holden amp clean.

Q1) My hotcake pedal is to classic sounding what is a better Dist pedal for full out shred???

Option 2) Buy a multi effects pedal and run it through a clean Holden.

Q2) I don't want to spend much so may have to go second hand old school like a Korg A3 or something can anyone recommend any other dirt cheap multi effects that have a great sound.

Option 3) Run the Marshall into the hotplates load and use it as a pre amp then use the holdens clean as a power amp so I can run delay reverb before the Marshalls distortion.

Q3) Can I even do this?? I have no idea where I came up with it because I've never tried it.

So which option would you do?? budget is about $200 I have the money but because it's just my in the bedroom setup I don't need anything to flash just something that sounds great for shred.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 05:28 PM
rgr

Re: Multieffects vs Pedels vs Amp for shred

I was just playing with this kind of stuff last night, you might try a Boss SD-1 into a Boss DD-3, DD-5, DD-6 or DD-20 straight into the Marshall. Dime the distortion on the SD-1, you might also check out the MXR DoubleShot distortion. I was doing this with a Crate Powerblock that I was playing with using my old MIJ SD-1, Phase 90 and DD-20. It's scarey how close that little amp sounds to an old JCM-800, especially since it reacts as you crank it up. I picked it up as a back up amp, just in case, and ended up enjoying playing around with it. DOH, a little OT.

Back in the days of shred, many of us used old Marshalls, non-MV and single channel JMP and JCM MVs, and ran a bunch of pedals in front of them. One guy I played with used a TS-9 into an old HM-2 (Boss Heavy Metal), a chorus, delay, then into the front end of the amp and it sounded good. The key is moderate settings, the HM was his rhythm sound, the TS-9 was a lead boost. I remember he boosted the lows and cut the highs on the HM and the distortion was probably only a little over half. Delay into the old amps isn't as heinous because they are cleaner sounding than these new high gain monsters.

$0.02,
Roger
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 02:19 PM
rgr

Just thought of the "perfect" solution for ya. Find a used Visual Sound Jekyl and Hyde OD/Dist pedal and a used H2O Chorus/Delay pedal, should be able to get both for around $200, put them in front of your SuperLead, and you are set.

For info on the pedals check out www.visualsound.net.

$0.02 again,
Roger
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 01:26 PM

Use the hotplate line out into your time based effects then into a power amp.
You can get a Mosvalve power mp for @ 4175 used or peavey 50/50; 60/60 or carvin t100 for @$300 used.
I run a Maven Peal Tuskadaro and marshall 2204 like that into a carvin Ts100.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 04:30 PM

i would get the korg ax10 it is a really good processor... i got mine for 100 bucks
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 07:50 PM
Gex

I would NOT do a multieffect, since you obviously have the cash for MUCH better options.

I would just get good Distortion pedal and run it infront of one of your fine amps.

Tags
delay pedal , distortion pedal , heavy metal , ibanez jem , multi effects pedal , mxr phase , power amp , stomp box , thd hotplate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode