Multieffects vs. Stompboxes - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Multieffects vs. Stompboxes

Hi everybody. I can't decide between a)Buying a multieffects pedalboard (zoom g21u) or b)Keep saving to buy single stompboxes (Boss) in the future. What would you guys do?

I've read many positive reviews about the Zoom G21u. And considering how cheap it is, I may be able to buy it. However, I've read many threads here where people claim that the sound of a stompbox will always be better. How true is this? Remember that stomboxes are more expensive than a multieffects pedalboard.

I don't have much money to spend ($300 aprox.). I basically want the well-known effects (delay, chorus, flanger, etc) an to be able to combine them and use certain combination of effects without having to move my foot a lot. The good thing about the zoom pedalboard is that it has a wah pedal too.

To be honest, I am not that desperate to get effects. But a pedalboard can give me all the effects I want for a good price, compare to individual stompboxes.

What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 07:07 PM

Re: Multieffects vs. Stompboxes

Personally I'm not a big fan of stomp boxes. I've played with guys that have spent hours trying to figure out which box or connection is buzzing, crackling, not working, etc.. The least amount of connections the better. I'm sure that things are better now, but buying new kind of defeats wanting that cool vintage-y sound. I've tried alot of different kinds and I think the Boss ones have the best tone through a tube amp. Here's how I use them, I set my amp up and bias it to stay clean as possible with very late breakup. Then I set the overdrive settings to sing but to match the volume as close as possible when off. A little compression to smooth and add to leads along with overdrive. Set the EQ to match the normal sound and turn up so you can boost the output just a little, then kick it on when you need your leads to break through the mix. Make sure the delay has a tap-tempo setting so you can enhance your leads and if you want to play clean and funky. One last thing would be a nice subtle Chorus for some clean strumming. You can cover a lot of styles with this set up. I don't like all the pre-sets and amp modeling, just gets in the way of a good guitar/amp relationship.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 10:42 PM

Back in the day I used to chain a slew of pedals and would often have to go through and troubleshoot every cable to find the one(s) causing the buzz. Now I use a Line6 POD XT live, a Boss RC-20XL Loop Station and a Crybaby. That's it and it is far, far quieter than any setup I've had before and it's more versatile because I can save dozens of settings for specific songs - no need to tweak individual pedals for each song anymore. My advice is multi-effect.
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Mmm ... I didn't thought about the buzz when using stompboxes. But, as forest4 said, a multieffect would kill the guitar/amp relationship. However, I have an average amp (Laney LV200), and I can use the bypass option in the Zoom G21u to use the amp's distortion when I want to. I think I'm gonna get a multieffects. Any opinions?
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 12:03 PM

I disagree that the multieffect kills the guitar/amp relationship. I got a Pod XT live and whenever I plug it to a tube amp it sings! Completely different tone from a solidstate. That being said, I'm into multieffects because I like the simplicity of having presets of the sound you want, whenever you want it. To me it has little to do with tone, as I don't think I can tell that huge of a difference.
If you can, go for the stomp boxes. Plus you can hook them to a loop/switcher and get via midi the sound you're after just by steping on a foot switch.
Multieffects are easier to use, cheaper and nowadays they got killer sounds.
Stomp boxes are far more expensive, need tweaking (and tapdancing), but for some people they have unsurpassed sound quality.
It's up to your ears!
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 01:14 PM

Reviews: 15

Multi-effects are great :

- They can store presets, which means you don't have to do the tapdance and you don't have to mess with all the controls between songs. All your tones are a single preset away, and even loop switchers can't do it all.

- They tend to be fantastic for time-based effects, particularly multi-tap delays and massive chorused tones.

- They don't add a load of noise to your signal and they have great noise gates anyway.

- They cram a whole load of sounds into one compact box and eliminate the need for all that messing around with plywood and patch cables.

- They only need the one power supply.

Stomp Boxes are great :

- If you want to tweak your tone, you can do it easily. Stomp boxes don't require you to press a series of tiny buttons in a sequence you can never remember. Hang on a sec while I dial in a slightly wider reverb, I think I just need to hit Menu>Settings>Reverb>Next Page>Next Page>Reverb Width>+>+>+>+>Save>Exit.

- Don't like that distortion tone? Not a problem, just swap out the distortion pedal for a different one, there are loads of them out there. Your delays, modulation effects and reverbs are untouched.

- They all add their own unique character to your signal. You don't know exactly how that compressor, overdrive, analog delay and reverb are going to play with your amp, but you can bet it's going to sound organic and in no way digital or modelled.

- Loads of brightly coloured pedals attached with velcro to a piece of black-painted plywood are, as anyone knows, the coolest thing ever.

- Dodgy power supply? Not a problem, they also run on batteries.

The decision? It's up to you. I started with pedals (didn't everyone?), then moved to multi-effects, then rack effects, then back to pedals. There are limitations to everything.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 01:38 PM

Reviews: 3

MarkE summed it up pretty good.

Seems racks got a bad rap as soon as Nirvana came out. Then everyone went to pedals but I stayed with a rack. My first rack unit was an ART SGX2000. Piece of crap. Then Digitech 2112, Rocktron Intellifex then Xpression, GSharp, GForce, Digitech IPS-33B, you get the idea.

I still have my original Ibanez SD9 and FL9 pedals along with a DOD FX90. They have their unique tone and I break them out for a quick setup once in a while.

But nowadays I run an AxeFX Ultra. Takes care of all my needs.

For $300 I would buy a good stomp box distortion pedal, a GMajor and a cheap FCB1010 controller. You'll have a nice setup that's cost effective with great tone.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Banned

those multi effects units are way to complicated for me,but id still choose 1 over stompboxes.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 10:32 PM

To clarify, I didn't say a multi-effect would kill a gutar amp relationship, I think it's much better because you have total control over one unit. If you have to use more than 3 effects chained, your better off with a multi-effects pedal. One chord in, one out to the amp. All you need with the same connection as one stomp box! Screw pedals, multi is the way.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest4 View Post
To clarify, I didn't say a multi-effect would kill a gutar amp relationship, I think it's much better because you have total control over one unit.
Well it seems I misunderstood you. Sorry for that. Everybody seems to preffer multieffects than stompboxes, but what about rack effects? Someone mentioned the Gmajor. I always thought rack effects were very expensive, but I have enough money to buy a G major (honestly, I don't wanna spend my whole $300). But, is it reliable? I need something to take with me to band rehearsals and gigs. That's why I was looking for the Zoom G21u: it seems to be good, it's cheap and small, which means I can carry it in any bag.

What about Boss, Digitech and Line 6 multieffects pedalboards?
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 01:36 AM

If you're seriously wanting to stay within a 300 dollar budget I think that that fact alone is your answer. Multi FX IS the way to go. Then again, it all depends on what you're plugging one into. Keep in mind that the time based FX usually sound better run through the amps FX loop.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 05:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Killer View Post
Well it seems I misunderstood you. Sorry for that. Everybody seems to preffer multieffects than stompboxes, but what about rack effects? Someone mentioned the Gmajor. I always thought rack effects were very expensive, but I have enough money to buy a G major (honestly, I don't wanna spend my whole $300). But, is it reliable? I need something to take with me to band rehearsals and gigs. That's why I was looking for the Zoom G21u: it seems to be good, it's cheap and small, which means I can carry it in any bag.

ive had quite a few pedalboards over the years.the boss gt6 was easily the best ive had.you should be able to pick one up for next to nothing,trust me there a very very good unit.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Killer View Post
I think all of them are great. It just comes down to what you like. I had bad experience with a friend's Zoom and never actually got one.
I got a Pod Xt live and it's my workhorse. I even trigger samples in Main Stage with it.
I used a digitech RP-something (almost the same price as my Line 6) and it was really cool too. It even had a looper and a drum machine. Boss GT units are great too. They also have the looper and drum machine.

Try them all! Just consider that if we all had the same taste, there would be just one company, offering one effect unit and we'd all have the same sound!
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 07:54 AM

If you're going the multi-effects route, check out the VOX Tonelab LE and ZOOM G9.2tt. Within your budget, I'd pick them over anything Line 6 or Boss.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 08:02 AM

Reviews: 25

Whoever can really say they can tell the difference between stomp boxes and multi effects are just purests. In the end if your playing in a band and its your bread an butter, you want a system thats easy to set up, has good quality sounds and as practical as possible.

Once your cranked all the way up, stomp box effects or multi effects makes little difference in my opinion.

Just my opinion

get a multi effects.. im getting one soon cant wait Boss GT10

Tags
box , multieffects , pedal , stompbox , zoom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

best multieffects unit for $200?
multi fx or stompboxes?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode