which multifx unit is better? + amp question - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

which multifx unit is better? + amp question

recently I started sparing some money to buy a MFX floor unit hopely by the end of the year. Which one do you recommend?(hopely under 500 dollars, but really prefer a cheaper model if the difference isnt that much in tone ,eg. if pod xt wasnt that different in tone with the pod x3) Hopely one that can fatten up my lead sound a bit.
I was looking at the digitech rp500, the boss gt-10, vox tonelab SE, and Line pod X3 live, or pod XT live.
I like to play mostly dream theater and petrucci stuff, along with some thrash like metallica and megadeth, but could use some versatility in tones, maybe if after some time I tend to like other styles.

And the other question, does anyone know if Line6 spider IV series are pedal friendly? cuz I currently own a Line6, and hopely wanna keep it. if not, plz suggest an amp that could serve for that purpose? Hopely under 200 bucks or something like that, cuz i wanna invest the most of my spare money on the MFX unit.
thx

Last edited by dreamtallica; 07-24-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 11:34 PM

Re: which multifx unit is better? + amp question

Boss ME-70. $300 new, very worth the money. Amazing multi-effects pedal.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

thx, but whats ur opinion on the other pedalboards? to know whats different between them
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:44 AM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtallica View Post
recently I started sparing some money to buy a MFX floor unit hopely by the end of the year. Which one do you recommend?(hopely under 500 dollars, but really prefer a cheaper model if the difference isnt that much in tone ,eg. if pod xt wasnt that different in tone with the pod x3) Hopely one that can fatten up my lead sound a bit.
I was looking at the digitech rp500, the boss gt-10, vox tonelab SE, and Line pod X3 live, or pod XT live.
I like to play mostly dream theater and petrucci stuff, along with some thrash like metallica and megadeth, but could use some versatility in tones, maybe if after some time I tend to like other styles.

And the other question, does anyone know if Line6 spider IV series are pedal friendly? cuz I currently own a Line6, and hopely wanna keep it. if not, plz suggest an amp that could serve for that purpose? Hopely under 200 bucks or something like that, cuz i wanna invest the most of my spare money on the MFX unit.
thx
you mentioned tone several times...if your goal is great tone, go with good stomp boxes and forget about the sterile sounding multi fx units...jmho
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

like which one for a petrucci-like tone? I could maybe agree with you, but need more info on those stompboxes to compare.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 06:12 PM

Reviews: 59

My opinion is that you should go and play all of them yourself and see which one suits you the best.
I'm a big fan of the GT-10's effects and flexibility but it's distortions/amp models aren't my cup of tea. Line6 has some really nice stuff and is computer tweakable which makes things more simple. I've really warmed to Digitech's stuff over the last year and the RP500 is excellent but doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Boss/Line6 offerings. I haven't messed with the Vox too much so I won't say anything.
All of them have strong points and weaknesses and only you will know if they'll work for you.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

thx for info, but forgive me, I wasnt clear in my question,
which MFX unit has, in your opinion, the high quality high gain amp models for rythm and lead (dont really care that much on superb FX quality, cuz I dont use them so much actually, but it should at least have good quality FX) a good wah and usb connection? dont have much time to try many MFX units atm, have much work for school to do, so I would like to go hopely to the ones that could suit me the best.
thx
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:03 AM

Reviews: 59

For hi gain, I'd probably go with the pods or the digitech.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 05:08 PM

For Dream Theater, Digitech RP500/1000 or GSP1101.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 06:15 PM

Reviews: 4

digitech, read my previous posts on this topic. i can go on forever about my epic search for the *perfect* mfx
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

srry noob question, but because of the rack format, does the gsp 1101 need a PA?
will check it though, and the cheaper models
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtallica View Post
srry noob question, but because of the rack format, does the gsp 1101 need a PA?
No. You can go direct to mixer, run it before a power amp or use it to bypass your amp's preamp section.

Tags
effects unit , line6 , mfx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode