My amp got wet..... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

My amp got wet.....

There was a bad storm(or should I saw there is) in my area right now and my window was open. the amp was right next to the window. the amp got really wet on the top and its an open back so also the back. the model is a peavey transtube special 212 solidstate. Theres a vent on the top and water also got through there. I dried everything off. I took off the vent and got what I could on the inside. it didn't look bad.

could anybody tell me the effect water has on an amp? It is currently unplugged and when will it be safe to turn back on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 08:34 AM

the only time a little water can be bad for electronics if if you turn it on while it's wet.

You're doing the right thing so far...just give it sufficient time to dry and you should be okay.

~K
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 08:38 AM

I agree... I got pictures of what liquid will do to the inside of a laptop when it's on... your amp should be fine once it's dried out : D
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 10:02 AM

My Legacy got rained on (the speakers) but it works fine still. Also I have heard amazing stories of Peavey Amps surviving alot of than rain.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 12:58 PM

We had a flood in our house in April, and the ceiling above my Peavey Stereo Chorus actually collapsed from it. At least 100 gallons of water went through the top of the amp. I let it dry for two weeks, and she's fine. The day after the flood the adjuster (who was also a guitar player) said to me "Don't even try to turn it on, just write it up". So, they paid to replace her to boot! A wet Peavey is just drying time away from being fine again. YMMV, but you should be fine.

jim
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 04:37 PM

Ditto to what everyonw has said about drying.

Though if the cones in your speaker got wet, then drying time may not help you. Not if they got soaked anyway.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

everything is ok people

it didn't get soaked, just wet....a lot. thanks for the help.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 07:39 AM

Cant you get some sortof corrosion on the circuits?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 03:40 PM

One of my "mates" dropped his pint on my Marshall 100W valve head when he decided it would be a clever idea to get on stage with us a few years ago. EVERYTHING popped, and of course, he never helped out with a replacement.

All I can say is, I hope your amp ends up okay, its a bitch when something gets ruined that you worked and saved for.

Best,

Jamie

Tags
peavey amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode