My amp is too loud. What can i do? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

My amp is too loud. What can i do?

I want to reduce the volume of my amplifier (Carvin VL100), because it has no master volume knob and i would like to play it at home. But i dont wat to buy a powerbrake or hotplate. What about puting this equalizer into my effect loop:
http://www.bluearan.co.uk/sales/behr...ages/EQ700.jpg
It can reduce the signal about 15dB. Would this help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 06:49 PM

Reviews: 7
Re: My amp is too loud. What can i do?

You'd be better off replacing the master volume. An eq is meant more for shaping and honing your sound, it might work but I doubt it would sound any good or reduce the volume by the amount you probably want.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 09:21 PM

get a volume pedal
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 10:25 PM

http://www.thdelectronics.com/produc...low_jacket.htm
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 09:43 AM

Just curious... Why not a powerbrake or hotplate?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 10:07 AM

Send it away to get a master volume added?, Any half decent sparkie (thats electrician) will be able to sort it out

Rob
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 10:37 AM

I would try the master volume mod first, because it will be much cheaper and easier. If not, the only other reasonable option is to get a THD Hotplate, or a Marshall Powerbrake. But they arent cheap.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWyck
Just curious... Why not a powerbrake or hotplate?
Well, Godfather gave the answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
But they arent cheap.
A hot plate would cost me about 450$, the EQ pedal i posted would cost 22$. Thats a great difference.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 09:03 PM

I'm not getting something here. The VL100 is the Legacy head. In it's basic form, it's a 2 channel amp with a master volume on the lead channel.

The clean channel has one volume control. Set it to where it's not too loud.

The lead channel has a drive control to increase or decrease the amount of preamp distortion and a volume control to set the desired level for that channel. This is the master volume control for this channel. Simply set the drive channel volume at a comparable level to the clean channel.

A THD Hotplate would offer the ideal setup, but it's not absolutely required to achieve your desired result. Just a little tweaking is all you need.

You can simulate a 4 channel Legacy by adding an overdrive pedal in front of your amp. A Boss SD-1 or Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer is the ideal choice. Adding an EQ pedal in the effects loop set for a 5-8 db increase across the full spectrum will offer an additional volume boost to both channels. Here's a classic Legacy setup guide that will give you 4 completely different sounds - clean - warmer, slightly distorted - hard crunchy distortion and a fat, sustaining distorted lead.

Set the clean volume to your desired clean rhythm level. Switch to the lead channel. Set your lead channel drive control anywhere from 7 to 10. This will be determined by your desired distortion rhythm sound. Adjust the lead volume until it's balanced with the clean level. Switch back to the clean channel. Now we'll look at adding just a bit of overdrive with the OD pedal. Set the OD pedal to a "unity volume" setting, with just a bit of overdrive. To achieve this set the gain at about 10 o'clock and the volume at about 2 o'clock. Adjust the pedal levels back and forth until you reach a lightly distorted tone, while still keeping the volume level the same as the clean channel all by itself. When you switch to the lead channel with the OD pedal on, you'll now have a super hard rock metal lead tone. By adjusting the tone control of the OD pedal, this setup can be quite versatile, essentially simulating a 4 channel amp.

By adding the EQ pedal in the effects loop, you'll boost your volume level for soloing, while your overall tone remains the same as with the EQ switched off.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
I would try the master volume mod first, because it will be much cheaper and easier. If not, the only other reasonable option is to get a THD Hotplate, or a Marshall Powerbrake. But they arent cheap.
Yeah, about $300. Will sound better than a volume pedal though

I'd suggest the hotplate. The powerbrake only handles 100 watts, and that's a low 100 watts by today's standards (new 100 watt amps put out 80-85 watts before clipping). Try it with an old Marshall that puts out around 120 watts and your amp is ****ed. The hotplate will handle 185.

Still not the most amp friendly way to lower your volume though but much better than other options to get good tone at lower volumes like a variac.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 07:45 PM

i'm not sure, but i don't think there is a master volume mod for the legacy. a volume pedal in the loop can work, but you will sacrifice the tone. with attenuators, i suggest the weber mass. i own this and a thd hotplate, and the mass is a lot better. the weber can make your amp really quiet without killing your tone as much as the hotplate. although the one i have can only handle a 100 watt load, you can select the impedance, allowing you to use different cabs. at the moment, i have my legacy head, combo, or mts head going into the mass, then i'll use the legacy combo for a 212 cab. i usually turn the attenuator down to zero if i want to record at night using the line out. that way i can record without disturbing anyone, and still get a pretty decent tone. good luck!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 01:47 PM

volume pedal dammit
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 03:03 AM

I have to agree with the last post get a volume pedal. i use a Little Alligator volume pedal through my effects loop of my Legacy and it works like a charm. try the Volume pedal first before anything else. It might be just what your looking for. If it's just practice and bedroom volumes your looking for this is the way to go.

Here is everything I have and the order it is hooked up.
Guitar - Morley Bad Horsie II or Cry baby what ever iam in the mood for. Then into a modded 808 Tube Screamer (modded by analog man). Then into a Boss DS1 (modded by Keeley). Then to a Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble chorus pedal.Then into a Whammy pedal. Then to the front of the amp (Carvin Legacy). I have a Boss Rv-3 Delay/reverb pedal and the Morley Little Alligator hooked up through the effects loop.

I really get a good sound out of this setup at just about any volume I want.
Reading this I really sound like a Vai nut and maybe I should try something original. But oh well it makes me happy

Tags
amp distortion , chorus pedal , distorted tone , overdrive pedal , reverb pedal , thd hotplate , volume pedal , whammy pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode