My crappy sound - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

My crappy sound

I have a selection of guitars, a Fender Jaguar, a mustang, and two jag-stangs. By far my favourites are the jag-stangs. I have a line 6 Flextone two, that I want to replace with a larger amp. basically I'm fed up of my grunge rock crap equipment, and want to upgrade everything gearwise. I need a good head and cab that will produce a lovely wall of sound. Guitar wise I need anything practical, and good looking.
I like Floral Jems and gibson les paul customs.
go try some out I hear you say, but everything I seem to like, and try out, turns out crap and useless to me, or doesn't stay in tune, or sound good. I'm looking for a good all round sound. My mate has a Les paul custom and a jcm 800, and on stage he sounds way better than me tonally.
I need some help in deciding on gear. I'd like a simple guitar and amp set up. Mainly, the amp is the problem, so i need some help from you guys. Tell me some good stuff to check out for a bout £1000, simple job, but I don't have a clue what I am looking at half the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 05:13 PM

What kind of music are you going to play?

If you like your friend's sound you could try going for a Les Paul Studio and a Laney VC50, which should come close to your budget as afar as i remember if bought new.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

I saw a floral jem I liked for £1000, but They'd only give me £250 each for my jaguar, and my mustang, so i passed on that. I think I am looking at around £1000 for a guitar, and maybe buy a head and cab secondhand, which could be about £800, at a guess. I want a two cahnnel amp really.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

oh yeah, and for the sound I am after, is a "Big" sound, no one in particular springs to mind, just that classic good, overdriven sound, alot like on Ozzy Osbourne Records, or Frank zappa's early stuff. I think it is the choice of amp that will make the most difference, but I want a reliable guitar, these Fenders of mine Ain't half fiddly pieces of work!
thanks for your advice.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 06:20 PM

The amp shouldn't be the problem (mine certainly isn't ). I'd say get something with decent humbuckers in them, and NOT a Fender Then just fiddle with the settings on your amp a LOT.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 06:55 PM

You want the Ozzy sound nothing could be simpler then his guitarists usual setup. 100W Marshall, Les Paul, and an overdrive pedal.

Id say a good cheap bet is to pick up a used JCM800. Id agree that no matter what amp you buy using one of your fenders will NEVER sound like your friend with a LP or the "Ozzy" sound.

Used JCM800's go for around $800 american (500 Pounds). I dont know if its more or less expensive over there though. The earlier JCM800's dont have channel switching. The later ones do, with FX loops. With the early marshalls you have to learn to use your volume control and an OD pedal to clean or dirty things up. With a channel switching marshall you dont have to worry about that but Im a big fan of seting my dirty channel for a rhthymy crunch and using an OD pedal to boost for solo's.

A LP Classic goes for about $1600 (1020 Pounds) over here.

Im suggesting this setup basically becouse of the sound examples you gave me (Zappa, Ozzy). This is the most frequent setup in common with all Ozzies hitmen and Zappa.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 01:22 AM

I'm not 100% sure on the exchange rates, but i think a TSL goes for about the equivalent of $200 less in england than it does here- makes sense, since it's made in the UK and they have to import it stateside...

-Drew
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 07:31 AM

Marshall are great for this kind of stuff, but you are overlooking the Laney amps.

They may not have the heritage but they have the sound, and i bet they'll be more user friendly / reliable than an old JCM800. Besides, when i heard a VC100 combo live I was absolutely blown away by the tone. THICK! And, if that wasn't a wall of sound, than nothing is.

The guy was playing some screaming blues-rock stuff with a Tom Anderson.

However as someone already said, the Flexton is guide good and upgrading to a better guitar with good humbuckers will see you with an impressive improvement already.

If you want to aim high, try for a used Tom Anderson Drop Top, awesome sound from those. You could also try an Ibanez Rg3120 maybe.

I dont know about the floral though, as from the descrition you gave it looks like mahogany guitars are in order.

As always, I suggest trying out before you buy, preferably on a familiar amp.

Tags
frank zappa , gibson les paul , gibson les paul custom , les paul , les paul custom , les paul studio , mahogany guitars , overdrive pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode