My favourite boost... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

My favourite boost...

Everyone's got their favourite pedal that they kick in when your all the way up, all the way up, and need to go to eleven. What do you use for that "extra little push over the cliff"?

My favourite is an octave fuzz.

I have a few really nice heavy Rectifier patches on my GT-6, which are awesome for rhythm work and chunky chords. But on one of them, i've got it set up to kick in an Octave Fuzz and some delay when i hit the "CTL" footswitch. The sound is completely over the top and totally unique. I get a really wild square-wave sound (almost like an analog organ) with some pretty wild high-frequency overtones. It screams. It howls. Stomp on the wah, and it gets even more crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 11:41 AM

My top pick for pushing things over the top is the Ibanez TS9-DX, mostly because of the versatility. It can provide that gentle, transparent boost, it can provide an over-the-top heavily EQ'd boost, and just about everything in between.

Certainly it's not the most exciting effect, but I get a lot of mileage out of it. I use 'em in both of my rigs.

My other favorite pedal for pushing things over the edge is the EQ pedal on my Mark IV, but that's a whole other story...

--B
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 11:46 AM

I've been a big fan of the Fulltone FatBoost for awhile, and use that in front of my rig for a little something extra I usually kick it in when I'm using my Strats- it really boosts the single coils and brings them up to about the same level as humbuckers, but without any additional gain.

Lately, I've been using a TS-808 and an original TS-9 with my setup as well, which gives me a couple of extra "channels" and gain stages to play with. I've got them hooked up through my GCX switcher and can turn them on/off with my Ground Control Pro.

Another pedal that I've become very fond of is the Fulltone Ultimate Octave...ever since I got "Crystal Planet", I fell in love with Satch's tone using that pedal! A great fuzz/octave boost that's very toneful and musical.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 12:31 PM

I'd like to ask you if you tried that patch on the GT-6 in a band/gig setting. How does it sound and does it cut through? I have a GT-6 and I seem to have to back off on the distortion and really boost the mids to cut through the mix.

Just like to know how yours sounds in a band setting.

Rob
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Seems to cut through just fine.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V.
I have a GT-6 and I seem to have to back off on the distortion and really boost the mids to cut through the mix.
Unless you're soloing, you don't WANT to cut through the mix. You want to blend into a nice mix. People like you are a sound engineer's worst nightmare. Everyone in the band is trying to cut through the mix. I prefer to have the bass guitar louder than guitar sometimes, well, not louder, but maybe as loud as. Just to get it to blend into one sound.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 08:47 AM

I take it you're a "sound engineer".

I'm not saying be the loudest guy, just being able to be heard. Isn't that part of being in a "nice" mix? I was just asking that because I had problems at first when using the GT-6 being heard at all.

Rob[/code]
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 11:12 AM

VoodooLabs Sparkle Drive. Lots of CLEAN boost. DS-1 is a nice choice, too, has a little more grit in there. Sometimes I just use a small multi FX pedal with EQ, set it up with no FX or processing, other than EQ shaping and an output boost. Just like active pickups, without the routing!

Tags
crystal planet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode