My First Studio (make it awesome please?) - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation My First Studio (make it awesome please?)

hey,

well i'm turning my current "play den" (rolls eyes) into a music studio.

i've had a bit of experience with recording before but nothing much. So i'm looking for a mid-range setup. Could anyone suggest a decent setup? i'm thining maybe a mac...then pro tools or whatever. typing this makes me realise how little i know (so don't shoot me down please). Urrrrrm, yeah. help me out, people in the know.

Cheers,

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 06:44 PM

Re: My First Studio (make it awesome please?)

What's your budget?
What instruments you planing on recording?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Rip

Not to be mister negativity..
but if you're really that in the dark about studios and gear..etc.
"i've had a bit of experience with recording before but nothing much"

Before you toss thousands of dollars into it perhaps you should
just buy a small used stand alone recorder to see if its something you
enjoy, if its something you can grasp, if its something worthy of taking
the next step and investment.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:58 PM

Yeah get Audacity and a cheap mic to see if you like it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post
Not to be mister negativity..
but if you're really that in the dark about studios and gear..etc.
"i've had a bit of experience with recording before but nothing much"

Before you toss thousands of dollars into it perhaps you should
just buy a small used stand alone recorder to see if its something you
enjoy, if its something you can grasp, if its something worthy of taking
the next step and investment.
While I agree with your view here in a way, a PC based studio setup is not really quite as expensive as you might initially suspect for the simple reason that your Mac or PC is not strictly limited to running your recording setup. I use a MacBookPro with a Digi003 Rack - the MacBookPro also goes to work with me, surfs the net, does my drawings (I'm an architect) etc etc - so the cost of the computer is pretty much negligible in the scheme of things.

Also, it depends on exactly what you want to record - if you want to plunk down guitar tracks and a sketch vocal line, sure, a small standalone thingy will do all that - but if you ultimately aim a bit higher, then unless you are reasonably serious and fork out for ProTools, Logic or Cubase (or similar), you are really just backing yourself into a corner with some pretty huge limitations.

We have recorded and released three albums using ProTools and a Mac, and remixed a couple of others for friends - Pink Floyd probably have slightly better production, but we found we could get awfully close to the absolute top end of "indie" production with just this setup (and a huge amount of time!) - track editing on a Mac is blissfully easy, the various plugins that ship with ProTools are more than enough to keep you going for a few years, mixing is also blissfully easy because it is all visible on your screen. I did some work on a Roland VS1680 a few years ago (back when it was the best standalone box in the market), and staring into a 2" x 3" LCD screen to try and figure out what was going on was just soul destroying - as was the final production quality which came out the far end.

So, as an actual, you beaut user of a Digi003/Mac setup, I cannot recommend it highly enough - we record drums in a great studio here in Sydney, burn the ProTools tracks onto a DVD - take 'em hoem and load them into the Mac and overdub everything over the top of that in the comfort of various band member's living rooms - when it's all done, we take the setup to a mastering suite and plug it into their gear and get the same mastering quality as any other mainstream band can get here in Australia - every studio I know of uses ProTools, and it is 100% compatible with the LE version sitting in my Mac.

That is my experience - PC/Mac is very much a personal issue - they work for me - likewise ProTools/Logic/Cubase/Nuendo/whatever comes down to personal reasons - Cubase is beautiful for MIDI editing, but not quite as nice for Audio editing (my view here), Logic is great, but I have very little exposure to it, but for me the clincher is the cross-compatibility of Pro-Tools - you can't really record a drum kit at home - you need tens of thousands of dollars worth of great mics AND a great room - but you can spend a day in a good studio for a couple of hundred bucks, and your drum tracks are ready to be taken home - marvellous!

It's all huge fun, and you will learn stupendous quantities of stuff about what sounds good and why - so I say, get to it!

Cheers

David
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Rip

but how much did that cost ya

I just meant for a total beginner..one can be overwelmed trying to learn
every little nook an cranny of a piece of software, piece of hardware, computer (since he doesnt have that either).

Sometimes simple is best to start.
To learn just the process of hitting record and making a recording.

Personally I would go your route as well..but you have some experience
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 10:23 PM

Well, as I said, the Mac I don't count because it does everything else in my life as well, from memory the 003 Rack Factory was about a $1700AUD upgrade from my venerable old 001 - I guess my view was, you gotta learn sooner or later, so why not just jump in feet first and have a go at it!

By the way, when we started out, we bought a G4 and the Digi 001 specifically to record an album - and none of us knew diddley about the Digi stuff - we just, y'know, learnt as we stumbled along.......

Tags
drum tracks , pink floyd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode