My JSX review - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Re: My JSX review

My set up for the 2 songs posted is the XT in front of the amp. Get this. Both those songs are with the JSX set exactly the same. The Dorm room is with the XT off. So all that sweet gain on the other song is from the XT driving that 'slightly' gainy sound in Dorm Room. I Record at a moderately loud level with the amp pointing the other way. It's as loud as you'd play live and miked. The wife goes to the other side of the house. It's not super loud, but loud enough that you can 'feel' it. The 'Un Nu U-01.mp3' is bone dry, no eq added pre or post recording. The only thing is a little reverb and a limiter on the master output in the mixdown. Dorm Room had a tad of delay set at 100bmp which is what the song is. Honestly, the JSX is a bit muddy, you can hear that in Dorm Room. The pedal driving the gain is a Ratt distortion modeler in the XT with it's gain set low. The Ratt tend to thin out the tone, which would usually be a bad thing. But in front of the JSX it's doing a plus. I've been recording tons of stuff for the past week trying everything to get away from using my POD 2.0 for guitar tracks. It sounds good, but I have a thousand dollar head sitting there and I don't want to NOT us it. But it's been a chore trying everything to get tones I can work with. If you have a JSX, try running the gain low and stick an overdrive in front of the amp.

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone.

Darin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I just noticed something on the XT. It's set (the 'Dest') for running Studio Direct, and not set to run in front of an amp. The switch on the back is set to 'Amp', not 'Line'. But I would have not tried it in the Studio Direct Mode. I don't think I want to fix that mistake. hehe

Darin
post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 03:59 PM

Nice set up there

I've got a XXX head at the moment and am thinking about changing it for a JSX. I've heard that they are similar, but do you know if the JSX is so much better that it's worth paying the extra?
post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I've never heard the XXX.

I suppose I'd look at http://www.harmony-central.com/User_Reviews/ to do a little research. It's entirely subjective though. My buddy has a Diesel and we were demoing the VHT Pitbull. The VHT will rip your head off and has about the sweetest gain I've heard. It's a great amp, but I thought it was a bit colorless. The JSX doesn't have a soupy saturated gain like the VHT or some Boogies. But I think it has more color/life. He's a monster player and prefers the Diesel or VHT, which cost alot more than the JSX, but cost wasn't an issue really. I just like the JSX best, and I can have any amp I want. But that's just me. A side my side demo would be your best bet. Same speaker cab, same guitar, same player. All things being equal, except the head. Plus everything sounds different at home. Music stores are a terrible place to demo an amp. You need more than 15 min and you need all volume levels with YOUR cab and guitar. If you do demo the JSX, set all the knobs at 12 o'clock, except the master volume. The controls are sensitive. The ultra is a little to gainy for my taste and not as much punch as the crunch channel.

post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:27 PM

I found the XXX to have more hiss at volume than the JSX and I find that the JSX cleans also out perform the Triple.
post #21 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:35 PM

Thanks

Yeh, i've heard that the clean channel on the JSX is far better than the XXX. I don't have too much problem with hiss on my amp as I have it on the tight setting, plus compared to my dual rec combo, it's so much quieter.
Just one other thing, are the gain levels the same on both amps?
post #22 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

By the way. In that pic you will see an Avalon U5 D.I. Jeff from Fuel uses one live and in the studio for bass. It's also AMAZING for acoustic.

Here's acoustic through the U5.
http://www.chriswoodwardmusic.com/PR...ly Imagine.mp3
post #23 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
But I think it has more color/life. He's a monster player and prefers the Diesel or VHT, which cost alot more than the JSX, but cost wasn't an issue really. I just like the JSX best, and I can have any amp I want. But that's just me.

Totally agree about the cost thing! I've been in the same boat, i've had a number of amps including Engl Savage SE, triaxis/2:90, mesa tremoverb combo and 5150 combo and for me the XXX suits me best out of all of them, I just love the tone. Plus it costs a lot less than the mesas and engls.
post #24 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Here's is the JSX with no pedals. Just JSX gain. Some EQ added post recording.

http://chriswoodwardmusic.com/PRS%20...%20Version.mp3
http://chriswoodwardmusic.com/PRS%20...20thoughts.mp3
post #25 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Hey, since I'm monopolizing this thread, I thought I'd post a pic of me. Playing at our church Saturday night coffee house. It's worth a laugh anyway.

Last edited by Darin; 03-02-2007 at 05:04 PM.
post #26 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Hey, since I'm monopolizing this thread, I thought I'd post a pic of me.
LOL! It's your thread dude!!

Thanks for the clips. I do like the tone. Are you using the crunch channel?
post #27 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 05:04 PM

Nice review.
I was a big fan of Satriani in my 'early years', used to love his tone.
So I bought the 'other' Satriani amp, the Marshall 30th anniversary. The one he used live for years, since the mid-90s or so. He originally got them as loaners from Marshall when his own JCM800 and JCM900 were stolen.
Funny enough, even though it's a 3-channel amp with a lead channel that has an insane amount of gain, he still chose to use his Boss DS-1 pedal, and run it through the clean channel.

Because of problems with the amps (they break down quite regularly when on the road, and because they're such complicated hi-tech amps, not even Marshall themselves could repair them back to their original state), Satriani decided that he wanted a new amp... one that could easily be repaired or replaced. Marshall wasn't interested in taking the 30th Anniversary back into production, not even as a signature model... so Satriani eventually ended up with Peavey, and this is the result.

From what I understood, Satriani still uses the DS-1 over the clean channel... The clean channel was actually created more or less like the 30th Anniversary, so that it would respond nicely to such pedals.
I suppose Satriani himself doesn't use the ultra channel either.

I spoke to another owner of a 30th Anniversary, and he said he never used the lead channel at first, because he didn't really know what to do with it... He played lead over the crunch channel, which also has plenty of gain, more or less like you described... And he had set up the lead channel for rhythm aswell.
I personally use a slight treble boost on my lead channel. This gives it a smooth and articulate lead tone, without requiring much gain (I generally have it set to 4, which gives me total saturation). It's quite boogie-like, really... just more focused mids. And it responds excellently on picking and rolling down the volume. Reminds me a bit of Steve Lukather or Neal Schon.

Anyway, I suppose I should check out the Peavey JSX sometime. Personally I think Satriani's old tone, from around the time of Flying In A Blue Dream, up to the first G3-tour, is the best tone he's had... Nice and smooth.
But I'm not sure if it's because of the Peavey he uses now, or because he just changed his tone period... I suppose the Peavey is versatile and good enough to also give you those older Satch tones.

Lovely guitar btw... I love figured tops and all... Guitars are wood, and that should show
I have an Amber sunburst RG570CT myself. And an Epi Les Paul... all figured maple tops.
post #28 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurj View Post
LOL! It's your thread dude!!

Thanks for the clips. I do like the tone. Are you using the crunch channel?
Yep. I like the crunch better than the Ultra.
post #29 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 05:12 PM

Same thing on the XXX. I always use the crunch channel.
Listening to your clips, it sounds like the JSX has a smoother tone to it. What effect does the FAT switch have to the sound?
post #30 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurj View Post
Same thing on the XXX. I always use the crunch channel.
Listening to your clips, it sounds like the JSX has a smoother tone to it. What effect does the FAT switch have to the sound?
It (fat switch) gives it a nice round thicker fatter tone. Even thought you might think that's desirable, and it is, sometimes. It's really better at lower levels. If you cranked, it might just rattle your handles off your cab. It's a nice option. With the Resonance and the Bass knobs, and the Fat switch, you have a lot of low end tonal ppossibilities.

Last edited by Darin; 03-02-2007 at 07:06 PM.

Tags
amp settings , backing track , boost pedal , bridge pup , celestion vintage , clean tone , delay pedal , engl savage , epi les paul , fender strat , guitar collection , guitar mag , jimi hendrix , jsx combo , jsx head , les paul , mesa mark , mesa mark iii , music store , neal schon , peavey jsx , peavey valveking , pedal board , power amp , satch tone , speaker cab , steve lukather , stomp box , triple rectifier , tube head , volume knobs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode