My JSX review - Page 3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 02:40 AM

Re: My JSX review

Thanks man you've *almost* persuaded me to get one! But the Engl will have to go first!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurj View Post
Thanks man you've *almost* persuaded me to get one! But the Engl will have to go first!
Before you dump your bucket of cash on the counter. I'd be careful to demo it thoroughly. I know it sounds a bit too much. But I took my pedal board, cab, and Prestige in to the music store and spent 20 mins or so playing with the JSX just to be sure. I think it will probably sound great anyway. But I just hate to see anyone buy a head they didn't personally demo. I bought a Legacy head that way. Hated it since the min I plugged it in. Turns out I'm in a long line there though, of Legacy disillusioned. I hope it works out for you. I'm a believer in the JSX. Keep us posted.
post #33 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 06:23 AM

I hear you. I just wish I'd taken that advice when I brought half of my amps. I'd have saved half the time and energy spent looking for *the tone*! Only problem is that there really aren't that many shops around here that stock high end amps. As far as a cab goes, I use a 4 x 12 XXX cab and I'd pretty surprised if a retailer stocking a JSX wouldn't have one in. I've also got a g-major hooked up to the XXX, so that wouldn't be took hard to take with me. There's a JSX head on sale on evilbay at the moment which is going for half the price, so it's tempting to buy it now!
Ideally, I'd love a combo, but I'm not paying for a new one and they seldom turn up for sale used anywhere in the UK
post #34 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Well, the plus side is. If you pick one up cheap enough. You can always afford to resale it. But then why would you want to resale the perfect amp. hehe

Good Luck with that.

Darin
post #35 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Well, the plus side is. If you pick one up cheap enough. You can always afford to resale it.
Exactly!! Great minds think alike I'm sure I'll love it, if I get my hands on one!
post #36 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 10:34 AM

lol who said nobody in their right mind would use the lead channel?

http://www.myspace.com/the9cloud

Sounds a bit nasal cos I think i left the sweet switch on (had a few 2 many to drink before we recorded it haha)

I don't think the lead channel sounds too bad, maybe a bit buzzy but it seems to come out better in the recordings (although this was a $25 mic and mixed through audacity haha budget styles + I did drums which explains why they are outta time + there were no toms so I couldnt do any fills rofl but anyways)
post #37 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallie! View Post
lol who said nobody in their right mind would use the lead channel?

http://www.myspace.com/the9cloud

Sounds a bit nasal cos I think i left the sweet switch on (had a few 2 many to drink before we recorded it haha)

I don't think the lead channel sounds too bad, maybe a bit buzzy but it seems to come out better in the recordings (although this was a $25 mic and mixed through audacity haha budget styles + I did drums which explains why they are outta time + there were no toms so I couldnt do any fills rofl but anyways)
\

I agree about the Ultra sounding better recorded than it does to your ear. I think some gain is lost in the process.

Last edited by Darin; 03-04-2007 at 02:19 PM.
post #38 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Ok, here's the JSX crunch channel lead tone. I'll do the ultra channel in a bit here. Ignore the sloppy playing, I haven't been running scales lately. Nothing in front of the amp or in the loop. Just a tad of delay added post recording.

http://chriswoodwardmusic.com/PRS%20...%20tone-01.mp3
post #39 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Here's a pretty good recording of the various channels and settings on the JSX.

Prestige 2620 into JSX Head on Carvin Legacy 2x12 w/v30's
Bone dry, nothing in front of amp or in the loop, nothing added pre or post recording.

Chain of events in the clip:
1. Clean channel bridge pick up
2. 2nd pos.
3. Neck pu
4. Scale on neck pu
5. scale 2nd pos
6. crunch channel low gain
7. crunch channel low gain add "Fat" switch (hear click of switch)
8. crunch channel add more gain
9. switch to ultra channel gain at 75%
10. ultra channel gain at 75% add "Fat" switch (hear click of switch)

Here's the clip:
http://chriswoodwardmusic.com/PRS%20...0Dry%20JSX.mp3

Here's the guitar:

Last edited by Darin; 03-04-2007 at 03:05 PM.
post #40 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the clips, those bone dry ones do certainly help There's plenty of gain for my liking. I prefered the crunch channel the best, but actually liked the ultra channel as well.
post #41 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 09:57 AM

hey Darin thanks for taking the time in sharing your thoughts and recording some clips! Very nice tone and nice playing, too! I've been playing the JSX at the guitar store a lot lately and have been impressed with what I've been hearing so far. And, now, I know how it fares in a recording situation from your clips. I think I may finally pick one up soon :-)
post #42 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
hey Darin thanks for taking the time in sharing your thoughts and recording some clips! Very nice tone and nice playing, too! I've been playing the JSX at the guitar store a lot lately and have been impressed with what I've been hearing so far. And, now, I know how it fares in a recording situation from your clips. I think I may finally pick one up soon :-)
Thanks so much for the positive comments.

If you get one, and get it home to really see what it can do. I'd like you to post again and let us know what you think then. Everything changes when you get an amp home. You finally get to relax, play warmed up, and open that beast up and hear it scream in shred ecstasy.
post #43 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Here's another quick JSX sample.
http://chriswoodwardmusic.com/PRS%20...ike_Legacy.mp3

Again, no pedals, nothing in the loop. Just a tad of verb in the recording. And it's on the Crunch channel. Oh yeah, I'm well diggin this amp.

Last edited by Darin; 03-07-2007 at 09:26 PM.
post #44 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 11:18 PM

awesome review
post #45 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 04:57 PM

Reviews: 21

Great review, lots of terrific info on the JSX. Thanks for sharing all this Darin!

I've owned a JSX head for about 18 months so I'll chime in with my experience. I love the fact that I continually re-discover how versatile it really is. I read an interview with James Brown (the guy who engineered the JSX with Joe, not the famous 'feel good' front man) in a guitar magazine and he said Joe runs everything at 12 o'clock, but cranks the bass on the crunch and ultra channels up to 8 or so. When I first got the amp I ran it that way (except turned the "Crunch" gain down to 2 or 3) and used the "High Gain" input for all my live stuff. Of course it sounded great so I figured "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" With my previous rig I used rack based effects, but quickly found that anything in the effects loop of the JSX colored the tone of the head more than I could tolerate. I dumped the rack stuff and went with good ole stomp boxes which improved my tone signficantly vs. the rack multi-effects. Unfortunately it was at the expense of convenience (ah, the easy days of programmable rack effects with midi control), but it's all about the tone man! I found that the amp sounded so good I used effects more sparingly than I ever had... so the pedals worked out great.

Over time I discovered the versatility of the amp as I started to toy with it for recording. I also expanded my guitar collection to incorporate a couple of Fender Strat's (something I hadn't done in about 10 years) and began playing more blues and classic rock. I discovered that the Ultra channel records very well with the Gain on 3 or 4 using the "Low Gain" input (regardless of what kind of guitar is used). I also discovered that the strat's sound great with the amp through the low gain input and dialing the gain back a bit across the board.

What I've been toying with more recently is revisiting the EQ settings. Knowing that Joe played Marshalls for years a friend pointed out that the JSX might use passive tone circuits (like the old Marshalls did), meaning giving it a go with everything on 10 (ala Jimi Hendrix) might be an interesting experiment. I opened the manual and all the tone controls on the Crunch and Ultra channels are actually active (Clean tone controls are passive). Having tried everything close to 10 I'll tell you right away it doesn't sound good (in my opinion). Also, rolling up the tone controls is similar to the effect of using the High Gain vs. the Low Gain input... you're boosting dB so you'll push more signal through the gain stage of the preamp (which with this amp usually isn't necessary). I was able to add a bit more color to the tone with roughly a T=7, M=7, B=9 setting, but at the expense of having to roll the gain off.

Net, I have to agree this is one of the more versatile, great sounding heads I've heard. In my opinion it's very effective at making far more expensive amps seem like a waste of money. I've taken it to jam sessions with people I've never played with before and I always get oodles of compliments on my tone (even from the members who don't play guitar). Of course I'd rather get compliments on my playing, but I'll take what I can get I've played through a bunch of different cab's and never been disappointed. My rig is a full stack with the JSX atop B-52 stealth series cab's, loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s.

Here's a link to some material I've recorded with the JSX:
http://www.myspace.com/nucliess

Rock On!

Last edited by djrjems; 04-16-2007 at 11:10 PM. Reason: editied active to passive

Tags
amp settings , backing track , boost pedal , bridge pup , celestion vintage , clean tone , delay pedal , engl savage , epi les paul , fender strat , guitar collection , guitar mag , jimi hendrix , jsx combo , jsx head , les paul , mesa mark , mesa mark iii , music store , neal schon , peavey jsx , peavey valveking , pedal board , power amp , satch tone , speaker cab , steve lukather , stomp box , triple rectifier , tube head , volume knobs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode